Photos not bed bugs

(25 posts)
  1. Katherine

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 16:19:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I was told yesterday that the photos I submitted were not bed bugs. OK, that doesn't make me happy because everything leading up to that diagnoses suggested I had them.

Finding them in my bed one night, some blood smears on my pillow case and a couple on my sheets, the bites on my back and legs look exactly the same in the photos of mine and my man friends back. The pain of the bite itself (yes I could feel it) the itch, the infected bites from my scratching. I even saw what I took for a nymph on my bed last week. It was on the edge and I picked it up to look at it. It was clear with red. I flushed it. Now I think I should have saved it. Had I known I was going to re join this site and you all were going to say I didn't have them then I would have had that on hand to prove I did. But alas I don't and whatever bugs I picked up from the apt and trailer you say are not BB's.

I just want to say that some of you were a great help in allowing me to get my thoughts out. I have no one here in this town to talk to regarding whats going on and it was really nice for those few days know matter how upsetting some of you made me feel, to have and outlet for my thoughts.

2. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 16:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Did they suggest what bugs they might be? Other bugs can cause very similar symptoms and they don't all have the same treatment methods. So it's important to know what pest you're fighting before you begin the fight. - Best

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 16:31:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Katherine - 8 minutes ago  » 

I just want to say that some of you were a great help in allowing me to get my thoughts out. I have no one here in this town to talk to regarding whats going on and it was really nice for those few days know matter how upsetting some of you made me feel, to have and outlet for my thoughts.

Hi Katherine,

I would recommend in future responding to the same thread you started earlier, so others can follow your story easily.

For others, this is the photo ID thread.

That said, Katherine, I am sorry you are upset. However, I don't think that was anyone's intention here.

It is really important to find out what is causing your problem so the cause can be addressed.

No one here is saying you haven't seen bed bugs in the past. But simply that the bug photos you posted which you thought were bed bugs weren't bed bugs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Katherine

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 16:42:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the information. I write blogs on another site and never thought about adding to what I have already said.

I have been on sites trying to find the ones I posted and can't. Been looking up under NW Arizona. Lot of bugs to go through time consuming and annoying.

5. Bitten in Paris

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 16:12:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! Well,after moving into a house 6 months ago I started getting little"bites". I thought I had chiggers too,so I put nail polish on the "bites' Didn't work. After a LOT of searching for BBS and finding NOTHING, (my husband didn't have any "bites") I was at my wits end. I have 3 small dogs which sleep on our bed at night,and for the last few weeks they have been scratching and biting like crazy. Especially my shi tzu. He was treated with antibiotics for 10 days and given a shot and all were clean of fleas. He cleared up a lot for a few days,but now his skin is red whelped all over and scratching so much. Yesterday,after a good cleaning I found a bug between my matress and springs. After a lot of looking on the web,I FINALLY found what the bug is. It's a carpet beetle! I had no idea they were in my house and LESS of what they could do. So,that was what was/is causing the "bites" and the awful itching on me and my pets. Now to find a good way to get rid of them is my next job. Look on the internet for pics of carpet beetles and what they can do .( We are in Ky.) Anyone got any good ideas? I heard that HEDGE APPLES might work so I'm giving it a try.

6. Koebner

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 4 2011 4:52:12
    #

Login to Send PM

BittenInParis Whilst its true that your own reactions may be due to carpet beetle larvae hairs, its unlikely that your dogs have the same problem. However, it is possible that the dogs have Cheyletiella mites, which can also affect humans. There`s a forum sticky that explains more about them as well as some forum posts where people have traced thir problem to these mites.

Theyre not the most banal of pests but they do seem to be increasingly prevalent and owing to their unusual mobility, can be awkward to diagnose until a pet has a fair population on their skin. I dont at all discount the possibility that you are reacting to carpet beetle larvae hairs, but just because your dogs are having problems too, it`s at least worth ruling out Cheyletiella.

7. Katherine

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Mar 25 2012 16:13:39
    #

Login to Send PM

The bugs I have ARE Bed Bugs. I took them too our local bug people. They do not look like many others because we live in an arid climate. So the stains on the beds are not the same and the bugs themselves look different sometimes. Not always.

I have spent almost a year trying to rid myself and my apt and the mobile home my ex and his lady friend live in and have learned a lot along the way. I have not shut my eyes and just lived through it all. I am a watcher. I pay attention. I am also not a follower and by that I mean I just do not take anyone's word for something without questioning what they are saying.

I got pounded on for not believing the Professionals by some and also for not spraying, and for not doing what so many of you do. Just blindly following the leader.

Let me refresh some of you. I got bed bugs (oops found them) last year around June. I didn't have the money then nor do I have it now to get professional help so I did a lot of reading and talking to close friends and one of those friend suggested trying salt. She had used it on flea's many years ago and it took a week to clear the fleas out, so (before knowing what I was up against) I decided to try it. So salt went down on all floors.

PLEASE I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THAT ANYONE USE IT.
    STAY AWAY, STAY AWAY.

It didn't of course work as I had hoped. I was really naive back then, and thought a week would do the trick. Laughing now.

It did help though and again I am not recommending that anyone use it. It shifts into everything and you have to drink plenty of water to compensate for the salt drying you out. It worked here when the weather was dry. Less than 50% humidity. When the summer rains came it didn't work, but we only have about 2 weeks of monsoons.

Right now, 11 months later the salt is still down along all walls at the floor and around my bed on the floor. I also have my bed in containers of water to keep the bugs that are loose on the floor from getting onto the bed. It does work, but you have to be prepared for transferring the bugs yourself onto wherever you sit or lay. They get into everything. It doesn't help bagging your clothes if you also don't bag your wallets and purses shoes and socks. They are transferred via your hair and crotch hair, on the robe you wear or the P.J's you put on to sleep in. The little tiny eggs are white and almost impossible to see unless you know there habits. How they move around, you will miss them and transfer them to your bed etc.,

When I left the forums before everyone was talking about alcohol working so I started buying rubbing alcohol and although it works as long as it is damp it doesn't when it dries.

I am talking about here in my apt in NW Arizona, not the whole world. Please I don't need to be badgered by those that it has worked for.

The alcohol kills on contact with the bugs, so I use it on my sheets and pillow cases every night. I do a thorough check of my bed before turning in. If I miss that I pay for it later that night.

I have learned a lot, because I pay attention, by looking and feeling and touching with my bare hands. Yup folks I do not wear gloves and proud of it because I now know what they feel like, how different they feel from a little fluff of whatever or a grain of salt. I would and still do pick them up between my first finger and thumb and roll them around until I can deposit them either in running water, a container of water, a container with some alcohol in it or a container that has salt in it. I have all containers placed around the apt., for easy access. As far as I can tell by looking at my finger tips I have not been bitten yet using that method.

I have found out a great deal and will most more later on what can be used and how I have dealt with them and am still dealing with them.

Kat

8. Katherine

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 13:27:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a question: Please can someone answer this: I have a pet cat I have been leaving out of my bedroom because I don't want her tearing up the bed bug box spring cover. Has anyone figured out how to keep their pets from going under the bed and possibly tearing up the bottom and sides of the box springs?

I am at the point where I am hardly getting bit and I would like to keep it that way but I feel sorry for my cat as she would love to get in with me.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 14:02:52
    #

Login to Send PM

The images linked above by nobugs definitely are not bed bug, but rather cockroach related.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  10. Katherine

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 14:46:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Those pictures are very old and I took some other bug pictures and the creatures themselves too a place here in my town and they comfirmed bedbugs.

I still need an answer to the question about my cat.

Thank you
    Kat

11. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 15:21:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou, would climate affect the appearance of bedbegs in any way that is significant?

All the bedbugs I've seen have looked similar enough to be identifiable as the same insect to my untrained eye, regardless of where the person was that was posting them.

12. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 16:06:24
    #

Login to Send PM

No. Climate would not at all affect the look of the bed bug. It may be a tropical species or a bird species but the general characteristics remain the same.

I would really like to see the samples (or pictures) of what the local bug company confirmed to be bed bugs.

Sean
    Entomologist

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 16:32:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Climate has nothing to do with species' appearances. Different species look different from one another, but sometimes the difference is not obvious, but rather subtle. I would be interested in seeing a picture of what had been identified as a bed bug in the past, too. Can't help you about your cat. Do you know that it will tear up the fabric? Has it done this in the past?

14. Katherine

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 1:37:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry everyone but no pics left. I deleted them all from my camera and photo programs long ago. I take a lot of photos and only keep the ones I really like, and bed bugs I didn't like.

Someone brought up bed bugs looking different from different area's and I will say mine were and still are a dark color, close to black from what I can tell unless they have not fed. In the part of Arizona I live in we have very small amount of wet weather so a bed bugs droppings here dry up. The shape of your bed bug and my bed bug are the same and the bite and reaction are the same and the infection from scratching is the same.

I have been living with them up close and personal for over a year and have even thought that I will never get rid of them but I have lessened them with my salt treatment, which I do not recommend to anyone. You have to be so careful with the use of salt and be aware that it will dry you out as well and may even kill your pets.

As for why I don't have the apt sprayed professional..simple I can't afford it. If I could do one spray and that was it then maybe yes, but I can't as seen from reading on this forum. The people I have read all had to do multiple spraying' s or heat treatments and I can't afford that being on Social Security only.

It has taken me more than a year to be able to sleep for longer than 2 hours at a stretch and any bugs I have laying around are dried out to nothing between the salt I still have down on the floor and the super dry weather. I have learned to not use a regular fitted sheet on my bed. I have learned that I still need the salt between me and the bed bug sheet. I toss a straight sheet onto the bed over the salt and lay down and sleep that way. I never tuck sheets in anymore. I have my bed in containers of water and with both the box spring and mattress covered with bed bug protection sheets.

I am 67 years old and had cats all my life and everyone of them if given the chance will get underneath the bed and while playing tear at and tear off the bottom cloth over the box springs, so why wouldn't they do the same with a bed bug sheet is my thought. That is why I asked if anyone out there knows of a way to surround a bed with something that restricts a cat from getting underneath since I can't move the bed up against a wall or put anything up against the bed and have it touch the floor at the same time. I was thinking that not every person that uses this forum only has dogs so was hoping for some kind of thought on the subject.

Thank you

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 6:44:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Lots of people do have cats but I am afraid I don't have a solution for you. If someone needs to encase the bed, keeping the cat out seems the only sure way to avoid tears.

If you want to avoid them on the mattress, a thick mattress cover (not the kind that zips) could be placed on top of an encasement and washed regularly -- that might help, along with keeping cat's nails short. As for the box spring bottom, I think you'd have to put something flat like a board under it.

I am sorry you cannot afford a pest management professional to help. I don't generally recommend DIY treatment but if it must be done there are surely more effective methods than salt.

If you see a bed bug, please do take a photo and post it. I think we'd all be really interested in seeing it.

16. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 6:45:21
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have had bed bugs for over a year you would have thousands of them and you would readily see them.

Sean

17. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 7:14:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear katherine,

Some comments for your consideration:

> Cats - if you need to keep your cats out from beneath your bed to protect and keep the box spring encasement from being torn by their claws you may simply place some objects to block them from access to the area under the bed. Such objects might include the use of suitably sized plastic storage containers. Additionally, you might also close the bedroom door to keep the cats out of that room when you are not there.

> As pointed out above if weeks and months have past with bed bug activity in your home then this would undoubtedly lead to a population growth such that it bed bug activity and physical evidence would be more easily seen with time. As such, we'd expect that you'd be able to see a significant amount of bed bug evidence by now.

> Climate & Appearance - with insects we would NOT expect to see discrepencies in appearance within a given species due to climate alone. This means that bed bugs shipped to us from Alaska would appear essentially the same as bed bugs found in Florida. AND, please remember that the climate under which indoor pest infestations exists, being indoors with us humans, is not subject to the exterior climatic extremes because these critters are living in our homes.

> DIY Treatment - you and many others are not alone in having to resort to self treatments for bed bug control and, based upon my experience & observation, the number of folks subject to this circumstance continues to grow. What is most important is that those who are forced to attempt self directed bed bug control efforts learn what to do and how to do these things correctly such that the work conducted is effective while the hazards associated with such work, if any, are mitigated.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

18. Katherine

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 10:45:17
    #

Login to Send PM

@thebedbugresource. Pretty cleaver handle. I did imply and I am sorry about that, that I didn't see bed bugs anymore because they are died up. I didn't mean that as I didn't see any, oh I see them, and yes they bite me (should say suck my blood out) leaving little round spots of blood on sheets and pillow cases.

The ones on the floor in the salt are dried up along with a bunch of other bugs. The only creepy crawlers that seem to live through the salt are spiders (they crawl over the top by extending their legs until they can get to a wall and off the floor and cockroaches which seem to be able to live through anything except direct spraying and the roach traps.

The bed bugs I see now are small and because of the salt that has been down on the floor for a year their numbers are not as much as they were when I started the salt treatment.

As for other treatments, oh my yes, I have tried a wide variety of things. I may be 67 but I am not senile by any means. I also keep 91 per cent alcohol and spray my bed with it, pillows and blankets, sheets and if I see one crawling around then on them also. I use it on myself also. Alcohol dries out just like salt so I have to drink lots of water and keep lotion on my body.

Besides that I have tried comet (works also) and a variety of essential oils. Tea Tree oil (expensive) Peppermint, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove oil and chili pepper ground up in its true form without anything added to it. That worked great for under my clock and around cubards and sink area. Comet also up on sink and floor and in cubards. I also bought bed bug tape but have had problems with it sticking. Have no idea why it doesn't stick. The cut end will not stick to any surface I have put it on. I have the tape on my chairs and desk legs. Both metal and wood.

So as you can see I have tried all sorts of things to see if they work. All the oil's keep them away but do not necessarily kill them.

Everyone that has commented on any of my posts seems to think me crazy for the salt treatment but think nothing of spraying a poison in their homes over and over again. Poisons are dangerous to your health and your children' s and pets are they not? But you all think me crazy and you all sane. Instead why don't you think of me as someone willing and able to try something different since there doesn't seem to be anything readily available that will kill bed bugs right off. I am experimenting. This treatment does not work in humid climates. proven. When our monsoons hit the treatment doesn't work. Alcohol alone does not work, essential oils do not kill although they will work at keeping them at bay, away from things and off things but you have to administrate it every day. The ground chili pepper seems to work the best since I put it down and forgot about it and my clock is bed bug free as is the table I put it on.

And a thought just came to me. Why not add alcohol or water or both to the chili pepper and mix it and put in a sprayer and spray it on the bugs? I will have to try that.

Now do you understand how my brain works and that I find nothing wrong in trying to find alternative things that will work at killing bedbugs? and because I try new alternatives I have hit on things to kill other bugs along the way.

Just think of me as that crazy lady in AZ that thinks she can get rid of bed bugs without spraying poisons in her home.

Thank you all for reading my post and commenting. I do appreciate it very much and as you can see it makes my brain work harder.

Have to add, since I haven't mentioned this in a while. I wash all my clothes in cold water, because I don't have hot that goes to the washer which is outside. I line dry only because I do not have a dryer.
    I guess for the majority of people reading this I live a simple life and in the dark ages. Laughing.

Thanks again
    Kat

19. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 11:01:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Katherine--

I think people are concerned that something other than bedbugs is occuring that is going unchecked.

None of the things you're describing seem to be hurtful, but at the same time aren't neccesary. I kind of worry about the mental effects of longterm treating for BBs when your bed bugs sound very different from the ones I'm familiar with. In fact, they don't sound like BBs at all.

My dad grew up on a farm/coal camp house in the Appalachia. My grandparents didn't have an indoor bathroom until the mid 70s when they got their first electric pump and never had a hot water washer or dryer hook up. In fact, the house still only has well water and line drying. It sounds rustic, but it has it's appeal.

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 12:48:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Katherine,
    I don't think you're crazy but when someone says they are self-treating and have had bed bugs more than a year, I am concerned because you should not have to
    live with them permanently. And other treatments you reject may be more effective.

I am also somewhat concerned that a different pest may be the problem. Why not post a photo to reassure us this is not so?

21. Katherine

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 14:13:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, here goes, the part I don't talk about because it annoys me so much. My ex has them. In fact that is where I picked them up in the first place was before he was an ex. I was in the throws of moving, still staying with him but also staying in my now apt. I of course transferred them without know for probably months.

My ex and his lady friend do not react to bites but more to the point don't get bit in the first place so the bugs are there feeding off the cats and having fun (as far as bugs have fun). I go up once a week to keep my eye on the place. I am still on the deed. My ex and I are not divorced and never will be and who knows what will happen with my now man friend and myself so I keep and eye on the house where ex lives with his lady friend, the cats and the bugs.

My man friends has them, lives with them (are you all cringing yet?) He won't kill them, he doesn't react to their bites but he does get bitten.

They have been living in his apt (duplex in which I live in the other apt). He owns the duplex, He is my landlord. They feed off of him and his cats and whatever other bug/spider/snake/critter there is in his place. He does not believe in killing any thing.

We have a common wall. Now maybe you better understand my problem. There is no way I will ever get rid of them. I am always getting new ones in. The ones I carry over from my ex's place although I really try to be careful and what comes over from my mans apt. I make him shower before he enters my main rooms. Also I track them in.

So there you have my life in a nutshell. Even if I was too get rid of every last bug in my apt more would arrive. All I want is a clean bed to sleep on and a clean chair to sit in. The rest I will put up with.

Thanks again
    Kat

22. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 14:56:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear kat,

I apologize if from my post you got the impression that I inferred you were crazy, I did not.

However, at the end of the day these critters "are just bugs" and they do not have a secret plan or agenda to defeat humans. They are simply bugs and, if present, we need to eliminate them.

Salts, oils and other such things; if they work for you AND you are happy with the results you are attaining, fine. However, such materials are not the amongst popular efficacious choices that we professionals prefer. Understand that while an individual who reports success with any unconventional treatment methodology or regime may be observing acceptable results, the professionals do this work on a daily basis and the sample size from which we draw our observations and experience is broad. As such, when we offer comments and recommendations they are based upon a wide range of long term knowledge & experience in dealing with these pests.

At the end of the day the folks who participate on this BBR Forum are looking to help each bed bug victim resolve their current bed bug problem and we do so with safety and efficacy in mind.

In your situation you need to also addrsss the possible/potential re-introduction of bed bugs you mentioned related to your "man friend". If he and your "ex" continue to be the source of re-introduction perhaps you can either hose him off before he enters or trade him in for a newer model.

In any case, I hope you are soon rid of your bed bug situation and will provide answers to whatever questions you might have to the best of my ability.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

23. paranoid BB freak

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 16:29:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Off topic, but adding this because you had a question about cats. Essential oils can be highly toxic to cats. I would not chose to go this route, as it may hurt more than help in your case.

24. Katherine

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 19:26:04
    #

Login to Send PM

@ paranoid thank you for the information. Luckily I have not continued to use the oils much. Once in a great while I will dust with the cinnamon or nutmeg. I put away the tea tree oil and I never put any of the oils on my animals.

P Bello, had a great laugh about trading my man in for a new model. Still smiling at the thought but at my age men are not easy to find, not that I need one to make my life complete but men do come in handy for other things I enjoy.

As for hosing him down I do my best. That is why I insist on him taking a shower when he enters my apt. He has to leave his clothes in the room he enters, then walks naked into my bathroom to take a shower winter or summer, doesn't matter. His clothes are not allowed in my apt. For all of you that cringe at the idea of walking around naked, you should try it, we love it. I am laughing again, the trouble with typing out words is you can't see the twinkle in ones eyes or the laughter, just the printed word.

I realize that you all are here to help people like me. You have to deal with the majority and not the crazy broads that show up now and again. I am joking. Please still smiling. I also know that you all have your own known way of doing things. Most of what I have talked about would not work for the majority of the people dealing with any kind of bug.

As for the cat and bed problem we have worked out the problem we hope and will give it a try soon.

Again Thank you all for your help!!!
    Hugs to all
    Kat

25. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 22:43:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad you are able to enjoy your life, Kat. Keep
    smiling!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams