Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Photo of bug [a: bed bug or closely related; bird/bat bugs need to be ruled out]

(6 posts)
  1. Nikymarielove36

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 19 2013 2:19:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Can someone please identify that this is a bed bug?
    I've been having trouble for a little over a year now. I have a very large room and noticed one on the floor last may. I disregarded it as a small random bug. About 6 months later, I got a cat for Christmas. Since then, I've been finding them more recently. About February of this year I got bit on the side and later again on the leg and I found a bug like this in my pantleg. A few nights later I woke up with some bites. Upon investigating, I discovered that I assume they are bed bugs. When we cleaned my big room, we noticed them all over my computer desk (about 1.5 meters from the bed) we began vacuuming and spraying killer along the cracks of the walls. Now I find dead bugs on top of floor boards and sometimes just outside my room. Only occasionally do I find myself waking up to being a meal.
    I've found no feces blood spots and no nest. I no longer see them on my computer desk since I don't use the computer anymore.

Can anyone tell me if this is positively bed bugs and please give advice.. I don't want to be itchy anymore...

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 19 2013 2:47:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry to say it is a bedbug or close relative. I say close relative because the appearance has set of my spidey sense a little and the lack of faecal is a secondary indication.

I would suggest you check neighbours and also check for bird and bat activity on the property.

The FAQ's will give you the foundation knowledge to start sorting this one out.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Nikymarielove36

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 19 2013 18:57:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for getting back to me. I've done research since we found them so I was nearly sure it was/is bed bugs. I looked into bat bugs but.. We have about 40 acres and a brand new house with no attic and no bats. Birds don't come near the house probably due to our dog who chases any moving thing out of the yard.
    Again, because of the 40 acres, we aren't even close to our neighbors. I just want to get rid of them. They got worse/bit me after I got my cat. I think they are taking him for a ride to my bed. My room is also the only room we find them alive in. I've found a few dead ones right outside my room and on the stairs since my room is upstairs. We vacuum every so often and even use a vacuum where the carpet meets the wall trim. We've moved all the furniture in my room looking for a nest or a bunch of bugs or anything and.. Nothing. Just one here and there. Between live ones I've killed in bed and dead ones I've picked up, I'd say I've probably seen about 30 bugs total.
    Any help is appreciated...

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 19 2013 19:15:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Can you please use the diagram at the bottom of the page linked below to make sure the ID is correct:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05574.html

Or post an image of a high resolution scan to confirm. Most pest controllers can't tell the difference with the naked eye.

The only other feasible explanation would be that you are coming into contact with a regular source and were managing to capture then before they settled in your home.

David

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 19 2013 19:51:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, that bug looks a little hairy. I would definitely look closely at Fig. 9 in the document David linked to, and if you can get a high resolution scan (from a flatbed scanner) or close detailed image, the experts here can tell you if it might be a different species.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 20 2013 2:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 7 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Can you please use the diagram at the bottom of the page linked below to make sure the ID is correct:
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05574.html

That diagram is awesome. Thanks for the link.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,394 posts in 50,185 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,432 members. Latest: Ladybug1993, PROJECTD168, Kimmmie46