pheromones

(3 posts)
  1. currentinsomniac

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 27 2007 21:59:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Just throwing this out....

BB's have various pheromones (14 found so far?)that, I guess, help them communicate with one another. One site says that when you have a lot of bed bugs it starts to smell sweet...sometimes like raspberry...but that they don't know exactly why...fecal matter...pheromones....it varies.
    Anyways, to my point.
    You think it's possible that perfumes or lotions we wear can make us more attractive to bed bugs? And do they know whether or not bed bugs have any reaction to human pheromones? (Since many other animals do?)

I'm wondering about this because ever since I found out I had these bugs in my house I have been switching to lotions/perfumes I don't really love (since I don't want my favorites to remind me of bed bugs). What has been interesting is that they seem to like me more when I have worn a particular one. I know it could be a total fluke that I get more bites when I wear it, but it made me wonder....

2. nyjammin

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 27 2007 22:14:45
    #

Login to Send PM

This is only my opinion, but I think that bbs do react to certain lotions in various ways. They may "like" one more than the other. But, in my readings I've noticed that when someone used a certain scented lotion that repelled the bbs, the bbs would eventually go back to their normal feeding routines. So even though the lotions help at 1st, it is not long term. As far as bbs liking certain lotions/scents, I dunno on that one.

BTW: do bbs have some sorta way to detect scents or is it something else that makes them act the way the do. They sense our Co2, but how? It reminds me of a dog whistle. Dogs run away from them 'cause the sound bothers them, but humans don't hear a damn thing. I think it's the same for bbs. Something about bbs that humans do not know about....yet.

3. currentinsomniac

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 28 2007 1:07:50
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband read about BBs not only hunting by heat and Co2 but also by vibration(sound). (Beats me if they actually hear or not).
    Mosquitoes use the same techniques. (Though mostly just Co2 from what I hear).
    But BB's emit pheromones to tell other BB's stuff....like, "run away! run away!" or "party over here....got some great stuff!" So I assume they have some sort of sensory ability.

But this one lotion I have is full of natural things. It has a TON of ginger in it...along with other weird things like rosemary, basil, oat, spearmint, and green tea. So I wonder if it mimics some sort of pheromone they put out. Whenever I have worn it to bed I sense more crawling than usual and wake up to 3 times more bites. It's too much to be merely coincidence to me...especially cause I know it's not an allergic reaction to this lotion or anything. Maybe the green tea stimulates blood flow and they can sense it somehow?
    (Maybe I need to become an entomologist and study weird things like this).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug