(6 posts)
  1. slumerville

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun May 11 2008 20:41:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I haven't been able to find much on treating pets that live in a bed bug infested home. I have a cat that I have treated with 2 rounds of Frontline but am unsure if this is satisfactory.

How have you treated your pets?
    Thank you - Jane

2. angie

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon May 12 2008 10:21:37
    #

Login to Send PM

The only thing I can suggest is to give regular baths. My dog was getting bit quite a lot and it seemed that with weekly baths with flea and tick shampoo, it helped to lessen her bites some. My poor dog is so stocky that she couldn't reach her itches. My sister would scratch them for her when she came over cuz she had nails. I don't know if the meds in the shampoo worked for her but her bites did start to slow down. Short haired dog and bites show up easily. I really don't know if cats like baths as all the ones I had, my kids would put in the tub or pool on a routine basis. So good luck with that one!

3. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon May 12 2008 10:51:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Speak with your pet doctor.

4. freedom241

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue May 13 2008 0:42:34
    #

Login to Send PM

as a dog lover and owner of dog, bed bugs don't live on host at all, not people not pets can u find one or so on pet yes only due to feeding and transport but no long term. so if your pet needs a bath ok but don't over due a comb will also do the trick oh i am also a pco and bed bug dog owner i know what iam talking about ok. a clean pet is a happy pet, no over kill ok thks cesar n tre.

5. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed May 14 2008 9:50:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand from speaking to my vet that it is not a good think to bathe the pet in flea and tick medicated shampoo products although advantix and the other brand which I cannot seem to remember at the moment are OK. The bugs will bite no matter what you use but I thought that your question was for taking away the itch involved with bed bug bites on your dog. Anyway I still believe that you should consult your vet before you do anything because you would not want to be responsible for harming your pet.

6. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 15 2008 15:08:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Check with your vet, they spend more time in school dealing with ectoparasites then people doctors including dermatologists. Birds can be a special problem because of the feathers, always be sure to address the area around a bird cage. Remember cimex are not like ticks or lice in that they don't stay on the host for periods of time.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956