Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Petition to bring DDT back

(9 posts)
  1. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 2:59:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I also think that DDT should be brought back at least temporarily because bedbugs have become such a persistent problem in the U.S. in recent years and i believe that DDT has the potential to end the bedbug epidemic and bring bb numbers back down to what was seen back when DDT was legal, but from what i understand some bedbug populations had started to develop resistance to DDT, as well as it being found to be carcinogenic in humans, but i do not know if those findings are indeed true, or just hyped up garbage pushed by the radical environmentalist nut-job crowd.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 5:03:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The first bedbugs resistant to DDT were reported in the 1960's.

Bringing it back is akin to telling someone with MRSA to take penicillin and an aspirin.

If that leaves you doubt, let me be clear, it will do no good whatsoever.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Flamulina

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 7:06:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I doubt they would have outlawed DDT had it still be effective. There is a popular tendency (thanks Howard Stern!) to blame the hippies for the bb epidemic. The truth is, hippies cannot be credited with banning DDT. DDT did this all of its own by outliving its usefulness.
    I wonder if anyone will bother doing the same with pyrethroids. At the very least, people need to be informed not to throw their money/risk their health on totally obsolete product.

4. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 8:44:30
    #

Login to Send PM

That would be so lovely if we could just use a product that worked in the past. Alas, welcome to 2014! Believe me, if I thought DDT was still the magic bullet, I'd be the first name on the petition.

However, what we need to do is figure out what is available that eradicates and how we're going to do it. It's easy to say go find the harborages and kill the bugs. We're not talking about ants or roaches. And most people can not do it themselves. That's why we depend on and pay the pest control companies to help us take care of it.

Our current options here in our country are chemicals that are not always effective due to resistance by bed bugs, heat in the form of hot water, steam, and air (heating whole house or using a Packtite or other type of heating unit), vikane gas, D E and other dusts like delta dust, and a few other physical methods like vacuuming and just slapping them down. Pest strips releasing poison is an option too. There are probably other ways; perhaps someone can think of them.

There are some dedicated people trying to discover more effective agents (chemical, physical, or biological) and using their knowledge to help implement better methods of fighting the bed bug. For right now, though, in this present day world, we have to focus on what we can use today and how we're going to use it, along with who is the best trained and experienced to know how to do so.

I remember in the last few months someone mentioned compiling a comparing and contrasting chart of best products and methods, etc. to use for eliminating bed bugs. That would be helpful for knowing what's available and making decisions for action.

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 10:21:57
    #

Login to Send PM

DDT for bed bugs? Not so much !

However, there are those in the WHO and elsewhere who would like to have DDT back to help stem the malaria tide. Note that malaria is still regarded as the #1 cause of childhood mortality on a global basis.

Would DDT help reduce the incidence of malaria? Yes.

Is DDT problematic for the environment if not used judiciously? Yes.

Would DDT help us combat bed bugs effectively? No.

So, there's that . . .

Have a nice day ! paul b.

6. factsfromopinionsofmine

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 14 2014 12:55:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Not one of the people who posted here has ever tried to use ddt on a bedbug. Yet, they know for sure of the bugs' resistance. I'd like to try ddt for myself. Case closed.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 14 2014 12:59:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Not one of these people have sailed around the world either, but we all agree that the Earth is not flat. It's been documented in studies, no need to duplicate their experiments.

8. factsfromopinionsofmine

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 14 2014 15:04:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I do my own studies, son. I'll let you know what shape the earth is when I finish mapping it.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 14 2014 17:17:50
    #

Login to Send PM

factsfromopinionsofmine - 2 hours ago  » 
    I do my own studies, son. I'll let you know what shape the earth is when I finish mapping it.

Here's some information, for those who don't plan to do their own experiments.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

291,416 posts in 48,817 topics over 151 months by 21,435 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson