pet care during treatment

(15 posts)
  1. ella

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue May 1 2007 20:01:08
    #

Login to Send PM

hi all, i tried searching around for any mention of pets, but couldn't find anything. i have a cat who i treat regularly w/frontline plus (which isn't proven to kill BBs, but kills all sorts of lice/fleas/ticks/etc), but my question/concern is about how to deal with him when the PCO treats my apt. they sent me a contract to sign that basically says i have to bag everything in preparation and that they're not liable for anything that gets ruined/any plants/animals that die in the process of treatment. they listed the products they use and i googled them all to make sure they're all pet safe (they are, after drying). at the bottom of the contract, they suggest that people w/allergies & asthma (me) stay out of the apt for 12 hours and then ventilate for 2. i know i'm not going to follow this myself (where do they expect me to go for 12 hours??), but i'm concerned for my cat.

does anyone here have experience w/cats in particular in situations like these? like most cats, he freaks out at the slightest change in environment, and unlike most cats, he actually has an anxiety disorder, so it would be very hard (but possible) to take him to a friend's house whenever my apt. is treated. but if others have not had their pets react adversely after treatment, then i would prefer to just keep him here.

2. wantmyskinback

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue May 1 2007 20:21:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I used to crate my dogs during treatment and keep them crated for at least 2 to 3 hours afterwards. I had no control what they stepped in or licked after that unforunately. It was a concern.

3. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue May 1 2007 20:54:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Ella, as I recall you share a chair with one guy in your office. In my mind I'm seeing a small place but I could be way off base.
    Can you put kitty into a traveler and take him with you to work? Perhaps kitty can even stay in the office overnight. theree is such a thing as kitty valium, so a vet might help you out in that areaif he is so freaked out.
    Probably not--just a thought.
    You gotta give me an "A" for trying.
    BTW--Last time we "spoke" about cleaning and stuff and I was saying how like I do my stuff the opposite way, I later figured we were just having a semantic thing. Clean vs. dirty--you're too sharp to not be doing all that stuff right so I apologize if I confused or offended you at all.

Let me say it this way: I "clean" my bed more and try to keep it "clean" spending more time per square inch on keeping it "clean" because potentially--it is or could easily become the "dirtiest" place re: bed bugs.

Can Mom take kitty?
    A girlfriend?
    Some lucky guy...?
    Gosh I love kitty’s good luck!

4. u2dan

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue May 1 2007 21:29:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes this was such a hard thing to figure out. I had to do the same. I left my tweet with my sister, but i didnt have him for the whole month and it made me sad. I was too scared to bring him back in but birds are more sensitive to these things. I would see if you could get some kind of kitty valium and maybe try to leave him/her overnight at someones house until all chemicals are dry.

Ugh these situatios are the worst..i hate it.

5. nightshirt

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue May 1 2007 21:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

while the pco was here i held my dog in the kitchen. when he was done i took him out to a friends house for at least 5 hours.

6. ella

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue May 1 2007 22:53:11
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks all for the tips so far. i'll ask the PCO when he arrives next week for an initial "inspection" what (s)he thinks. but it looks like i'll have to try and isolate/take him elsewhere for a few hours at least.

willow- no worries; i wasn't offended by your comments on the other thread. i did find it interesting though- that our ways of thinking which areas are "clean" are reversed. i guess i think of the bedroom as the worst area b/c that's the only room i've seen any BBs and their evidence/gotten bitten in (minus the coat incident, but the coat WAS hanging on my bedroom door).

7. ella

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun May 20 2007 0:38:20
    #

Login to Send PM

more pet/chemical questions, if anybody has experience w/this- so after i am treated, i'd like to put down some DE myself, but am worried that my cat will get some on his little paws and lick it up while he's cleaning himself. you know how cats get into everything, so i have no doubt that if DE was on the floor, that he'd go over to inspect it sooner or later. any tips? i'm suspecting i may just have to skip the DE entirely if i want to keep my cat safe.

also: does anyone know why my recent posts on another thread (http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/211?replies=13) don't seem to be registering? it's saying the latest reply is an older one, and it's not moving the topic up the list of threads...

8. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun May 20 2007 0:52:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Ella, fresh water diatomatious earth is also a major ingredient in deworming pills and meds used for--deworming. It's more likely he would get itno trouble sniffing it up into his lungs. He'd likely sneeze it out, so ... Put it where the cat just does not go. Say--behind a heavy couch that's too close for kitty to get into back there; dust it lightly on shelves he does not climb on. Into windows and into the cracks in the window frames, behing the switch-plates and stuff--kitty can't go in there. He should be put into a closet though, until the dust settles, completly, and you should use the goggles and a mask, have visine-a-plety for your eyes ready, I say ... just use it anyway--even if your eyes feel fine...
    A good point was brought up by coop--use a micron hepa filter on the vacuume, or you will just be blowing it all around the room every time you vacuume. (It takes it's toll on the hoses of the vaccumes eventually too.) But it is worth it. Especially if you decide to stay on there.

There are some ways around this. I do think you need DE on your floors soemwhere from the last few posts I read. These PCO's ... they are not quite doing it for you, and it seems the neighbors must have them too, yet are doing less than you are about all of it. Assumptions, or more like guesses--Either way, Good luck with it all.

Ella ... can you tell us more about your bite reactions and the meds you use to combat it all? Does the itching drive you mad and does it get into Asthma?
    Are the bites getting infected???

9. ella

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun May 20 2007 1:04:24
    #

Login to Send PM

willow- i'd like to use the DE primarily on my floor since i do think that's where they're hiding, but (as i mention in my other post which is not moving up in the thread list for some reason), the pest co. is sending a PCO to actually treat me this time (the other vists were "inspections," and the last guy didn't spray or put anything down at all), so hopefully that will help a lot.

my bite reactions are very severe- i develop a small red bump within minutes, than after a few hours it expands into an elongated red welt and itches like mad. it usually takes mine a little over a week to go down, and often i'm left w/a small discolored patch of skin showing where the bite was. the itching IS really terrible, but i take allergra regularly anyway for all my other allergies, so if i happen to have multiple bites, i'll just pop another one or mix it w/OTC claritin (from what i've heard, it's very hard to OD on allergy meds). i'll also use a topical antihistamine cream or spray on the bites directly. i recommend the benadryl spray, but not their cream (it's weak and does nothing at all for me). i also have a few prescription creams with mild steroids in them that work pretty well. but a dermatologist once told me that for allergic reactions on the skin, an internal medication works a lot better than a topical one, so i'd definitely recommend all allergenic people to take some kind of pill right after you're bitten.

as far as i can tell, none of my bites have been infected. i'm not sure how they could really become infected since they're just really bad bug bites. as a side note (even though i don't think this is the kind of infection you're talking about), i've never read anything reputable that's said that BBs can transmit illnesses. maybe this will change with more research, but everything so far seems to show they don't.

10. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun May 20 2007 9:46:55
    #

Login to Send PM

WELL THAT'S GOOD Ella. there at least there is no infection. if they get "scratched" even in sleep, and sometimes we do this, they may get infected. I've used ora-gel mixed with triple antibiotic cream it worked great for the itch--thanks of the info.

11. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun May 20 2007 10:45:44
    #

Login to Send PM

So, Ella, it's been almost three weeks, and they still have not yet treated your place. I'm sorry to hear that. See if you can get them to put DE or Drion dust or Delta dust into the areas behind all of the switch plates. Sometimes they drill holes in the walls and spray stuff in there. I think these are the three chemicals they use, but there may also be another one they use too.

As I recall you had to use the building's guy, which happens a lot.

WMSB said she waves a $20.00 bill around as a possible tip for the "spray jockey".

This sounds good to me. That $20.00 is probably well worth it, as a tip, if it will help kill more bed bugs over the long haul.

12. jeb163

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2009 13:28:43
    #

Login to Send PM

my little dog has been a feast for the BB's. She is now in the kennel until I stop being bit. The vet said the BB's don't bit dogs and all her welts and puss filled sores are reactions from the pesticides. Everything I have read online says that BB's will bite your pets. Anyone elses pet get bitten?

13. surrounded

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2009 21:23:44
    #

Login to Send PM

YES! my dog is getting bitten. i'm pretty sure, because the itching started before the PCO ever came. she has three big welted areas on her hind legs that she is constantly worrying at. She tends to chew and lick any irritation until it gets much worse, so i suspect they started as bites and now are bigger. she has chewed off the hair around them. i dont know what to do, as anything i put on her she will lick off. I've had her since she was born and i know her pretty well, and i think she is being bitten. usually when she is stressed or irritated by some environmental thing, she will get itchy ears. so this is different.

14. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2009 22:44:01
    #

Login to Send PM

awwwww, poor puppy.

years ago i had a dog with very sensitive skin related to food allergies, and sometimes his skin would be unbearably itchy and he would just dig at it. the vet told me that whenever his skin was starting to get rashy i could give him 1/2 of a benadryl pill (the same ones that we take as an anti-histamine for allergic reactions). you might want to check with your vet first to be sure that it's safe for your dog, but some type of anti-histamine treatment might help reduce the itching and swelling.

15. paranoid but calm

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 22 2009 11:38:04
    #

Login to Send PM

as far as i can tell, none of my bites have been infected. i'm not sure how they could really become infected since they're just really bad bug bites. [quote]

This is the first time I am posting so I am sorry if I make a mistake.

Ella, you would know if the bite was infected. I once got a spider bite that was infected. There were red streaks going up my arm away from the bite. I just avoid scratching at all costs (I know that's nearly impossible) so that the bites don't get infected.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus