Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug news and events

Pesticides going OFF USA market at end of 2011?

(14 posts)
  1. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 3 2011 14:06:29
    #

Login to Send PM

A poster noted the following on another thread:

I bet no one here knows this …(snip)…but most of the chemicals including pyrethroids will be banned December 31st 2011 BY that's right the end of this year

What chemicals labeled for (and commonly in use against) BB are due to be banned from the USA market, DIY or pro, this year, or in the near future?

Thanks.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  2. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 3 2011 14:46:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Came across a website pesticidetruths.com - mentioned that Propoxur had recently been legalised in Ohio for emergency use in treating bedbugs but nothing there about anything being banned later this year. Propoxur is legal for use in Canada for cockroach treatment but I understand many people are concerned about it causing cancer particularly in children so have never considered using it. There is a voice quote from a Canadian government official stating that all pesticides legal for use in Canada have been thorough tested and considered to be safe if used according to label instructions.

3. JWhiteBBCTV

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 3 2011 15:20:56
    #

Login to Send PM

The person who mentioned that pesticides were going to be banned at the end of 2011 is a sales rep for Cedarcide, as they mentioned in the thread. Ignore the claim they made about pyrethroids being banned by the end of 2011. Quite the sales pitch to market their line of all-naturals, don't you think?

I've heard it rumored that the EPA is going to be taking a long look at pyrethroids but to say the testing and evaluation will be done by the end of 2011 and pyrethroids banned is ridiculous.

Cedarcide has a long history of outlandish claims regarding their products and marketing their product and you can just add this to the list. There are many professionals that won't use Cedarcide because of the way they have been noted to twist facts when marketing their product.

Ohio was NOT granted the emergency use exemption and from what I've read and heard from people on the inside, it WILL NOT be granted. Propoxur is still available for use here in the US but in limited settings and I think only until 2013 when it will be completely off the market for interior use (you may want to check those facts, they are just off the top of my head and I can't check them right now).

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 3 2011 16:21:39
    #

Login to Send PM

> The person who mentioned that pesticides were going to be banned at the end of 2011 is a sales rep for Cedarcide, as they mentioned in the thread. Ignore the claim they made about pyrethroids being banned by the end of 2011. Quite the sales pitch to market their line of all-naturals, don't you think?

Thanks, Jeff. I was gonna stock up on XXXXX, like Elaine in Seinfeld stocked up on sponges.

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 3 2011 20:00:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I wonder how bad an insect or arachnid would have to be to be before it would be deemed Pyrethroid-Stockpile-Worthy. (That's PSW for short.)

6. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 7:51:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I think bed bugs would qualify....sorry I'm the person who posted about propoxur in Ohio. The article did only say that a bill was being sent to the house for approval not that it had been approved. I should be more careful....this is how rumours start. I think that there are some types of chemicals that are used on a widescale basis to treat crops outside that are being investigated because of their effect on honey bees but that was all I was able to find.

7. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 8:39:43
    #

Login to Send PM

bbgirl, would you be so kind as to let us know if propoxur gets approval? Thanks.

8. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 9:05:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Propoxur is very dangerous - it is I think a central nervous system disruptor and has been linked to cancer in children - I'm sorry now that I even mentioned it. There are other chemical alternatives that work with bedbugs.....check out the FAQ's. Even pyrethroid resistant bed bugs apparently succumb to various dusts that have pyrethroids added from what I've read. Think I will stop commenting on pesticides now......little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing

9. JWhiteBBCTV

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 12:28:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Again, Ohio has applied for the emergency use permit twice and been denied twice and I've seen the last denial letter and it was not positive. It isn't happening as far as I can see.

I think saying Propoxur is "very dangerous" is a bit of an overstatement. Yes theircan be health effects if the chemicals are used improperly and studies have shown negative effects with children exposed to the chemical but if it were "very dangerous", they would have immediately pulled it off the market. They have identified more health concerns then they are comfortable with and that's what caused them to pull it off the market but "very dangerous" I'm not sure I agree with.

10. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 13:34:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Re the topic heading, it sounds like routine review and re-registration.

Implementing the Pesticide Registration Improvement Act (PRIA) - Fiscal Year 2009
    "EPA plans to issue an updated schedule for the registration review program in 2010. The new schedule will provide the timeline for opening dockets for the next four years of the program, from FY 2010 to 2013, and will include information on dockets that opened in FY 2007 through FY 2009. The schedule reflects EPA’s plan to open about 70 new dockets each year through 2017. This keeps the Agency on track to complete the first 15-year cycle of registration review by October 1, 2022, for all pesticides registered as of October 1, 2007. EPA plans to continue to update the registration review schedule at least annually."
    http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/fees/2009annual_report/pria_annual_report_2009.pdf

Permethrin and piperonyl butoxide are up for review this year.
    http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/registration_review/2011-14-schedule-summary.pdf
    http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/registration_review/schedule.htm

11. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 23:38:18
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 1 day ago  » 
    > The person who mentioned that pesticides were going to be banned at the end of 2011 is a sales rep for Cedarcide, as they mentioned in the thread. Ignore the claim they made about pyrethroids being banned by the end of 2011. Quite the sales pitch to market their line of all-naturals, don't you think?
    Thanks, Jeff. I was gonna stock up on XXXXX, like Elaine in Seinfeld stocked up on sponges.

Cilecto, that's a riot! I can just see/hear Elaine with those faces she used to make saying something along the lines of "Jerry, do you realllllly think it's XXXXX worthy an infestation?" while they are all standing there scratching to death.

12. soscared

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 5 2011 19:51:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Have pyrethroids been linked to cancer in children?
    thanks.

13. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat May 7 2011 6:54:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't remember everything I read, but pyrethroids sounded pretty safe. I have in mind that piperonyl butoxide (not a pyrethroid itself, but often used with them) sounded a little more worrisome but not really scary.

14. soscared

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 10 2011 20:59:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,316 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto