(17 posts)
  1. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 1:13:53
    #

Login to Send PM

hey, folks,

So my pco sprayed Phantom yesterday. He sprayed it all over the floor, covered each square foot of my entire apartment in it. It is 1:08 am here, am trying to sleep but feel sick. Mainly huge headache and nausea. I am wondering if I am having some reaction to the Phantom. Was this too much to use? Is this a normal reaction to pesticides? If not, what would I do, besides call a doctor if I get really ill? My uti is gone so I know it's not that anymore and it began to happen almost right when I walked in the door, was irritated by so much chemical. I am sleeping by the window but can think of nothing else. Can I sleep with a dust mask on? Will this subside as the chemical loses its power, and how quickly will that be?

Thanks-
    Amy

2. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 9:18:11
    #

Login to Send PM

It's amazing how much has befallen you, perhaps you require a four leaf clover, best of luck.

3. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 9:23:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Winston,

Well, I feel a little better. I probably should have stayed away the first night.

But yes, I am not sure what to do. I don't think I can have them spray again but yet it might require that, nor do I have anymore money for something like thermal.

I have my packtite. I can't fathom moving AGAIN.

It is quite amazing everything that has happened. It is also amazing my family, in their wealth, does nothing. But that's abusive families for you.

peace, folks-
    Amy

4. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 9:42:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyway, beyond all of that...what do I DO about the Phantom all over my floors??? I think I have to clean some of it up. How and where? I want to leave some of it down.

Thanks-
    Amy

5. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 9:50:32
    #

Login to Send PM

If I am made ill by the Phantom should the pco come and help clean it up? I have a free second treatment, should I just ask they come to clean instead? I just feel woozy. Should they have covered every inch of my floors?

The DE was problematic but I know how to apply it now to not get ill. It's a pain in the a** and takes forever, as will sealing the wood floors which I will have to do.

Eh, screw it.

Maybe, I think I'm just getting out of here with my Packtite. No idea where I will go. Just far away from Buffalo and this nightmare. My partner lives in WA. Unfortunately, my car is no good to travel that far and I can't afford a moving van or car rental and as I said it is still debatable whether or not she has bedbugs. She says no, I got bit once in a line while there (granted it was one of the first days so maybe it was an old bite). We did laundry and vacuumed and I was never bit again and slept solidly for three weeks. But you know how it is with these things. Maybe she just doesn't react.

She also lives in the middle of nowhere and without a vehicle there I'd go nuts.

Amy

6. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 10:07:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I emailed the pco and asked how to clean it up and if I could get partially reimbursed since I am not using their return service.

Need a new plan. I can't take care of this whole place by myself. Too much floor to cover.

Amy

7. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 10:51:19
    #

Login to Send PM

The pco was very nice and is going to partially reimburse me and told me how to clean it up.

So then it is just plan B. I emailed my family asking for financial help for thermal or for moving. We'll see. Although I am concerned about again moving even with the packtite. I also called the dept. of health asking for similar aid. We'll see what happens. The government needs to do something about this problem. This is a national health emergency, a natural disaster, and I am proof. Not everyone can stomach the chemicals nor has the money to afford thermal. Left untreated, I would become anemic again. Treating it myself for years on end, I would lose my mind. THAT's a HEALTH CRISIS. Whoever said bedbugs are not a health hazard are WRONG.

Amy

8. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 11:26:06
    #

Login to Send PM

So I have gone into freak out mode. here is an email I sent my partner. Please anyone advise. I don't know what to do. I am thinking the best chance I have is selling this piece of crap car, moving out there and hoping to god she is not infested. After four months, wouldn't she be seeing signs even if she didn't react to the bites? She says she has no bites, no signs. Never seen a bug or fecal stain or cast skin. She did treat her stuff appropriately after she visited me. Unfortunately, she is very isolated out there. WE'd move in together just until Nov. and then find some place else to live as her subsidy would be up. But I have NO friends, NO job prospects, NO transportation, no nothing out there but her, and she is wonderful, but can;t be everything. Plus her neighbors are drug addict criminals. But it may need to happen. Me rent a car. Get the hell out of dodge.

Honey,

I am selling my car. I don't need it around here and it won't make it out there, and is a possible reinfestation hazard (though I think not). I am hoping to get some money from it---$750. We'll see. The pco is reimbursing me $125 out of the $400 I gave them.

I have emailed my family asking for money for thermal treatment, as well as the Department of Health. We'll see who responds. I told them it was a crisis. This just needs to be over. I will do anything to make it over.

I do not trust that you do not have bugs at your place. I was bitten upon first arriving in the classic pattern, and although it seemed we got them, many people don't react to the bites and they can go into hiding for long periods of time. If we move in together somewhere, I would want all of our stuff treated. I have no idea how I'd get out there and then also have the money for vikane fumigation or how to bring you out here and also have the money for fumigation. Unless we just only brought stuff that could be packtited which would mean losing our computers which we cannot afford to replace and you losing lots more and I just don't trust the packtite on everything as a cure all. So it's either I move out there with very little or you help me out here. This sucks big huge balls.

We need to find jobs. I need to move or get rid of them here asap, like right away or I will lose my mind. This f-in sucks balls. What do you think we should do? What would be the most cost effective and surefire way to get rid of them? I am going to see my pastor today I think to tell him of all of this and ask his advice also and email my old minister. I called my counselor as well, not that she can do anything but I want her advice.

I need to do something this week, a fullproof affordable plan. I need to get on with my blessed life.

I love you-

Amy

9. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 16:50:02
    #

Login to Send PM

it says Phantom is not that water soluble yet I was told to clean up with a mop.

how do I clean this stuff up????? please help.........

10. Eve

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 19:01:07
    #

Login to Send PM

According to the MSDS sheet it says that it can be cleaned up with water:

http://www.afpmb.org/pubs/standardlists/msds/6840-01-525-7139_msds.pdf

See Accidental Release Measures section. The diking and such they are talking about refers to spillage conditions (which is not your case). I'm assuming that your chemicals are sitting in a thin, dry layer so I'm not entirely sure whether or not it will be accessible to mopping.

I would not get closer to it than a mop if I were sensitive to it (as you seem to be). In fact I would be careful to use my wringing pail and try not to contact the wash water.

One of my worries is that by messing about with the chemical you might be making things worse for yourself by stirring things up. But I am not an industrial / medical chemist.

Eve

11. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 19:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Eve,

I had the same concern about getting close to the stuff. What I am doing is wetting paper towels and, with shoes on, wiping the floors with them on the bottom of my soles. It's strange I know. Anyway, wearing a gas mask. Have to in here anyway. I don't think I'll get it off all the baseboards and cupboards they sprayed it on anyway. So far my kitchen and bedroom floors are clean (er). Still sick though. Even with the gas mask on, it's not 100% as it's N95 , the chemical still bothers me a little. They covered everything. I don't blame them, these floors are a breeding ground for bugs. But wow, a kick in the side for sure. I wonder if this one spray, before it's cleaned up,, will kick their ass. Seriously, if it can make me this ill it has to just have massacred them. I know newly hatched eggs, etc. and it takes them awhile to die, but the good thing is Phantom is one of those ones they bring back to the nest and poison the others with. And no doubtabout it, this is a poison. I was out of the apartment today for several hours and began feeling better towards the end. I have a place I can go if I need alternate sleeping arrangements. I am leaving it on the living room floor for now as this is where they were primarily and just wearing a gas mask while there. Last night after the spray they surely were pissed and bit my legs up at the desk. Today nothing. This stuff this powerful has to be murdering them. I looked at their dilution and it is not .5 but 1. Strong strong knockout stuff. I hope I don't suffer long term effects from it. Socked me in the head.

Peace-
    Amy

12. scaredsilly

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 20:53:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so sorry you are going through this Amy. I will say a prayer for you tonight. Hang in there, everything will look better in the morning, after a good night sleep and some fresh air. I'm glad you have a place to rest elsewhere for a day or two. Seems like you need a break. Blessings.

13. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 21:55:04
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks scaredsilly,

I may try sleeping in my bedroom tonight as I have wiped up the floor with damp paper towels. However, they also sprayed the baseboard and I am not sure what this means. Just the floor or the entire thing? I haven't wiped these yet.

The bugs are hungry tonight again at my computer desk. They seem to come from the floor and not the computer though so this is good. I hope. The legs of my computer table are in bowls of dish soap. But you never know, these things are nightmarish.

I just got back from an ACOA meeting, cried my eyes out, which was good. And realized I am a lone ranger in this problem so may have to resort to actual scorched earth at some point, with just a bag of clothes as they say. It is becoming so common for folks to have bedbugs it's as if others just accept the cold hard reality for us (well thank you very much ye who are sleeping through the night). Well wait until they get them. Because the reality is it is just as possible to live with bedbugs as lice or a swarm of mosquitos. It's not possible. At all. Unless you just don't care about being very ill.

Karma is a b*tch. Luckily I have some good karma coming my way and friends who are empathetic and a partner who is a carpenter. Without these things, I'd be in the loony bin right now.

peace-
    Amy

14. bugnut

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 22:51:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Beth,

I had the Phantom mess on the floor and I cleaned it with Swiffers wet - that way you can mop and throw away. I takes a few mopping tho. I had 3 treatments (2 would have probably been OK too) and I am 23 days no bites. I do think it works just SLOWLY. I hate to say it but you may need another treatment. I did not have any reaction tho.

BTW I put my TV and computer (one at a time) in the packtite and cooked for between 120 and 130 maintained for at lease one hour. Now I do not know if they were in there - preventative only but they work fine. Just don't let the temp wander over 140 and make sure they are off, unplugged and the battery (if any) is removed.

Good luck to you - I hope your family comes thru - can your partner move to NY? Any work there?

15. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 6 2010 11:05:59
    #

Login to Send PM

hey bugnut,

yes, I know if I rely on the Phantom I would need probably one more treatment. It is gone off of my kitchen and bedroom floors, at least I wiped them once, and I am feeling a little less toxic. Also last night was very cold and I had all the windows open. I left the Phantom in the living room as that is where they seem to be the most, and also left it in places I don't go much just in case they decide to spread, and put DE on the entranceways to the living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and foyer thinking if they travel on the ground they will have to go through it to find me. I should put a little around the computer area as well. I also have to caulk the rest of the baseboards and the holes in the walls and hope my partner can come out soon to seal the floors for me. I don't know if this will work. I hope my family comes through also. My partner, yes, there is work in buffalo. She is a carpenter and plenty of those kinds of jobs. Part time usually but that's better than what she has out there and that's pretty much what this country is coming to. Her town has a population of about 10,000 when college is not in session. Buffalo has about half a million, so many more job opportunities and transportation. I am trying to get her to move here but financially getting her stuff here is an obstacle from 2500 miles away and honestly, we've been fighting because of how poor we are. Long distance is very hard in poverty and then the fighting makes it hard to commit, kind of like a crazy ferris wheel you can't get off. But we love each other very much.

thanks for your response! glad you are bug free!

Amy

16. Ratorja

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Aug 7 2010 21:12:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Amy,

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but after reading a lot of your recent posts, I have to tell you that both DE and Phantom can take up to 14 days to kill, if you didn't know this already. Cleaning them up so quickly probably isn't helping matters, and you can still get bitten by existing bugs until the DE and Phantom have time to work.

I don't say any of this to beat you down, I just hate to see all your hard work and money get thrown away just because they aren't given enough time to work. I really hope that it IS some other bug that's bothering you now, but Phantom will probably still kill anything else that might be giving you a problem, it just takes time.

17. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Aug 7 2010 22:17:08
    #

Login to Send PM

yes Ratorja, I know. Unfortunately, the Phantom made me very ill, like almost vomiting ill. Migraines, nausea, that weak feeling you get when you've been, well, poisoned. I am still recovering. So I had to wipe it off of my bedroom and kitchen floors. It is still everywhere else and properly bugging my respiratory tract as well. The DE just dried me out, I don't' know how else to say it. I didn't want to wipe up the DE in my bedroom, it was working. The pco told me to. Alas. I probably should have left that down in there and just had them spray the rest of the place. That is where I am trying to get to. Want to wash the bedroom again and apply the DE more sparingly this time. But I am exhausted and need a break, which these bugs don't give you. I realize the Phantom not working yet is not a sign it's not going to. That's in a few days. I'm hoping I can canvass the place by then. But I seriously need a vacation from this nonsense!

peace!
    Amy

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug