PestEx 2019 a quick review

(2 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Mar 21 2019 9:23:40
    #

Login to Send PM

The bi-annual PestEx event was in London this week and I decided to pop along and have a walk around for a few hours to see if there was anything new or of interest.

Not that I was looking but there was again a lack of new chemistry in the UK market and there is nothing new for bedbugs which makes for a swift review anyway. Those that did try to a mix for the tank were asked to provide data that compared it to the kill rate of a mild detergent solution and soon stopped.

A few of the suppliers were displaying a new green treatment can that "freezes" bedbugs. I am still understandably dubious about any such claims having seen a CO2 system and a liquid nitrogen system both fail for efficacy issues. In this case the "cooling liquid" is produced as a light stream and despite the fear of the demonstrator that my hand was about to snap off like something out of the terminator it did not. While this might appear to be an awesome tool I could catch enough of the smell of what was in the can to know its a "thanks but no thanks".

I saw a new active monitor that is just about to hit the market. The interesting thing about the lure is that the odour profile is close but not quite correct and that the design of the pitfall left something to be desired over optimal for bedbugs. I attended a presentation from the company that developed it and was enlightened by a slide that showed the rate of escape for various commercial pitfall devices, it was not the zero you might expect. I also don't see how you can make an aromatic lure that is cost effective to use for annual monitoring, especially if it takes up to three weeks to show results.

I observed an interesting looking heating chamber that uses an Infra-red heating panel woven into the fabric panels. They were quick to distance themselves from the "vivarium" panel ones I have scoffed about in the past but could not give me a detailed reason why the bedbugs would not just behave in the same way they always do with conductive heating sources. If anyone is interested there is a great video on the subject with Stephen Kells who illustrates that bedbugs behave differently with the two types of heat. I later over heard someone proclaiming these are the "heat bubbles" use by a well known pest control firm in the UK so I know its not working as well as it should. However the top chuckle came from the person who glared at me and snarled "I know you", it later transcribed I may have left a few disparaging comments about one of his YouTube videos where "his solution" to bedbugs was to sleep to a bed covered in sticky plastic with the sticky side up with no bedding, yes he did become stuck to his own device during the video and thankfully not many people appear to have copied him down that original path.

I bumped into my Australian distributor who did not even recognize me from 3 years ago.

I visited the cleaning show in an adjoining hall and saw an amazing work bag, something sectioned and on wheels that looks the business. I also saw an odor removal spray that is based on bacteria that digest the ordor causing bacteria. While not a core business area we do encounter some locations that need a better solution.

I briefly marveled at the ride on street steamers and wondered if they could make one that climbs stairs tot he top of a five story London Georgian townhouse to do a three bedroom treatment? I like to dream big when I get the chance.

Lots of complements about how the weight loss suits me and that I am looking younger and healthier than before. Not least because the food on site was the usual "captive audience" quality.

Overall worth the entrance fee but I may have to justify the cab ride there and back to the accountant.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Mar 21 2019 9:56:08
    #

Login to Send PM

The problem with any of the freezing tools that I've looked at is that they lack the penetrating power of the opposite end of the spectrum. Steam is far more effective, inexpensive and I'm guessing less dangerous to the technician. I've had some pretty nasty Freon burns where my hand briefly turned into a catcher's mitt. The burns go several layers deep and after a few days the skin turns black and peels off, not a good look. I've yet to even come close to those injuries using steam.
    I do have a working heat chamber that I built over six years ago that has been in use nearly every day since, but we've spoken about the legal hurdles of using an internal heater.
    Is the sticky bed video still around? I'd love to see that one.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,428 posts in 49,260 topics over 152 months by 21,591 of 22,013 members. Latest: Ddukes, acidburn, metropest