Pest Strips in Attached Garage?

(8 posts)
  1. smitty1138

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 23 2018 10:32:06
    #

Login to Send PM

A little background: We returned home from a trip a few days ago after staying in a hotel room that we're pretty sure had bedbugs. We didn't experience bites, but on the morning we left I pulled back the covers on the extra unused bed and found what appeared to be a dead bug. There was also a very tiny little red dot moving around on the sheet. I bagged the dead bug and took a photo with my phone (a pretty blurry photo) and emailed it to an exterminator after we packed up and left. He wrote back and said it was an adult male bedbug.
    So we started panicking and cut our vacation short. We put all our clothes through a hot laundry wash and dry, sealed the empty suitcases, camera bag, and most of our other belongings in heavy duty trash bags sealed with tape. We drove home and took our clothes off in the attached garage and ran inside and took showers.
    We stored all the bags in our garage for a day, as well as a few pairs of extra shoes that had been in the car. We also left the clothes we had worn on the trip home in the garage. The next day, we took everything outside and stored it in a shed.

So here's the question I have. If we assume that we somehow brought a bugs home, and if a bug came off our clothes or shoes in the garage before we put stuff in the shed, How do I prevent bugs from moving from the attached garage into the house?
    I was thinking of hanging DDVP strips and just staying out of the garage for a few weeks. Would bugs try to avoid the poison and become more likely to move inside? Would they do it anyway because the house is warm and the garage is much cooler?

I'm also concerned about my car, but I don't need to drive it so I can just let it sit until summer heat comes.

I'd appreciate any advice because my wife and I are at a pretty high anxiety level right now.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 23 2018 11:09:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Tiny red dot does not sound like a bed bug to me. Can you post the image?

3. smitty1138

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 23 2018 11:12:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I mentioned the photos were blurry. The thing was maybe about 3mm long, more cylindrical shape than flat I think. The exterminator sounded certain it was a bedbug.
    http://factory38.com/bugz.html

4. smitty1138

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 23 2018 11:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I have no picture of the tiny red thing, but it was nearly microscopic. BTW, this was a "pet friendly" hotel in Tennessee. I imagine plenty of fleas, mites, etc. live there.

5. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 23 2018 11:19:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand your anxiety.

Nuvan strips in the garage won't do any good, it is too easy for bugs to avoid the poison.
    Leaving the car out in the sun won't work because some areas will not get hot enough.

I think it is unlikely any bugs fell off in the garage.
    I think they would want to remain in their hiding place.
    I'm not an expert though.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 23 2018 12:20:51
    #

Login to Send PM

7. smitty1138

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 23 2018 14:01:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the photos. It's really hard to tell. Unfortunately I discarded the thing because I couldn't stand to bring it all the way home. I guess another lesson from all this is to always bring my macro lens. You never know when you'll need one. I guess my best course for now is to remain vigilant and cautious. I might just put a black tarp in my brand new car and let it sit for a year.
    I appreciate the responses and am grateful for this forum. I'll read through as many posts as I can and I'm sure I will learn a lot.

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 23 2018 15:10:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't be overly concerned about an infestation in your car.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com