Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Pest control for bed bugs and/or mites in the Wichita, KS, Before Move in 3-4 wk

(5 posts)
  1. AnnoyedandFrustrated

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 1 2012 16:37:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

We (I) have been dealing with a strange rash/hive like bumps throughout the past few months, especially, off and on. Some on my back and yesterday two random bites/bumps on the inside of my arm that I was laying on after taking a quick 1-2 hr afternoon nap on our bed. I am unsure what we are dealing with exactly but we currently own two parakeets (no mites according to a somewhat knowledgeable vet), have a dog and cat as well (not fleas), have previously had mice in our attic and garage and wild birds nesting in trees close by and gathering around our house. I feel itchy quite a bit but I'm not sure if it is always "bites" or anxiety of bites. I have been to a dermatology P.A. and was given an anti-itch/anxiety med to take before bed and I am suppose to take a non-drowsy OTC allergy med during the day for "hives treatment". I have found some small insects on our bed that could be mites (not been identified) as well as maybe white dots/eggs on my arms and back that are not attached to the skin when I scratch, etc. My husband does not know of any itching on himself (may not be affected by "bites" or doesn't want to worry me more.) We have seen a rust colored spot on his white pillowcase (pillows are zipper enclosed under the cases) and a "blood stain" on the yellow fitted sheet near my side of the bed where my neck/shoulders rest, within the last three weeks. We have also seen a few drops of blood on drapes directly behind the bed (not sure if this was due to chapped bleeding hands this past winter or not.) We have previously had our place inspected by Schindel Pest Control in Wichita but they basically looked at the mattress and along the baseboard in our guest bedroom where we were sleeping at the time. They did not really check the used bed(from my relative) thoroughly, in my opinion, we had just moved it into our Master bedroom, since we had put bed bug covers on both the mattress and box springs. We are moving soon within the next 3 wks to an apt. and need a knowledgeable company to do further inspection of our rental home, with a K-9 unit?, treat with Vikane/heat treatment?, etc. Please help, experts especially!

2. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 22:30:29
    #

Login to Send PM

What does getting bit feel like (if anything)? Can you post photos of your reactions?

3. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 4 2012 20:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Do not assume bedbugs without evidence. Check out the FAQ's on this site and do your own investigating. Bedbugs leave clues. If you have birds and also rodents it could be mites or it could be something else altogether. Cleaning will help a great deal with all of these possibilities: vacuum (empty bag immediately and take it out w/trash), declutter, and thorough cleaning with ammonium or 91% alcohol. Put sticky traps around and Climb Up interceptors under bed posts to monitor. Do not pay for treatment without positive identification of cause.

4. AnnoyedandFrustrated

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 18:08:08
    #

Login to Send PM

The bites feel like a sharp prick like being stuck with a pin. I was especially feeling this when we were moving things out of the garage and our bedroom/master bathroom. I think that they are some type of mite most likely from rodents. When I have felt a sting I have seen black specks at times and other times it looks like lint. I know that I have to be hypersensitive but I believe the black specks are an insect of some sort. I found a small black/brown mite in our bedding before our move that I took to our local extension office to the "bug person" (not an entomologist) she was not able to say more than it's a mite and said "maybe a clover mite" (although it does not have the extra long antennae/set of legs out front). I also found a small insect about the size of a sesame seed that was light golden colored crawl across my foot while briefly standing on my driveway (possibly crawled from my jean capris?). Maybe a different kind/stage of mite? Since our move I have received bites/welts in the middle of the night/early morning that quickly go away within a few hours. When I sprayed Off on the back of my shirt and took an OTC allergy med the other night I did not wake up to any bites. We had a a K-9 bed bug inspection today at our new place. I gave both insects to the K-9 bed bug inspector when he/dog cleared our place for bed bugs. Our K-9 inspector didn't think it was a bed bug nymph. He is going to send both insects to their in-house entomology expert for identification (hopefully!). I guess we can rule out bed bugs for now but I would still love some support here! P.S. I also have had a stinging reaction to springtails landing on me and wonder if I am allergic to carpet beetles as well as we had both at the old place. Does this sound like rodent mites...anyone?

5. AnnoyedandFrustrated

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 18 2012 15:00:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey! I am still here! I am wondering if anyone has heard from Brooklyn_bites to see if her problem (mites?) was diagnosed/treated. Like I said we hired a bed bug dog team to inspect the place we have moved to with no evidence of bbs found, which I was beginning to think we didn't have them anyway. Well we are trying to settle into our new place but I continue to get bites off and on and general skin irritation. I know part of it is sensitive skin and part is actual bites. I have been collecting samples when I feel a "bite" or see something "strange" on myself, dog or furniture. We recently bought a microscope online with a camera hook-up and I found a VERY small bug (could of easily been mistaken for a tiny crumb w/o viewing with the microscope), most likely a bird/rodent mite of some kind. I don't know if this related to our previous home (rental house with some mice in garage and at least one we trapped in the attic and birds nesting nearby) or to the new place (apt.) since I have heard what sounds like something on the roof/possibly in the attic. The birdmites.org website freaks me out but I'm wondering if some of the horror stories are true and not just a bunch of crazies.If I take a magnified photo can someone here help me?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,788 posts in 49,802 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991