Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Persistent Bugs, Moving, Vikaning, Please give me your input!

(8 posts)
  1. PhillyBugsMe

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 13 2012 23:17:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Bedbugger Forum,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Here's my situation:

Found a bedbug in my Philly row home in March, since then we have had at least 8 treatments by our PCO. (3 treatments and a 90-day warranty package), additionally, I have also applied DE to all the bedrooms and hallways.

The PCO quickly eliminated the bugs from all of the dwellings except one of my roommate's room. He quickly identified this as the source of the problem, due to the large number of bugs, sheddings, etc. The bedbugs persisted in this room, even after wallpaper was removed. (PCO let me watch him spray the wall paper, they came running out, it was horrible) Treatment 7, he gave us the "all clear" and even scheduled treatment 8 as a safety.
    Shortly after treatment 8, I inspected the infested room and found a 6-8 dead bugs and then upon looking under the sheets, found a live adult on the matteress, full of blood, looking healthy.

Though my warranty will allow for at least 4-5 more treatments, I think its time to move on. My roommate does not seem like he is inspecting his room for evidence (which I was able to find within 10mins) and I worry that even if we clear the house of bugs, he may have carelessly bagged his possessions, and this may lead to a re-infestation.

My quality of life is so low, I think it may be time to dig into my savings and spend some money of piece of mind.

The Plan:

1. Find a new house/apartment, self-treat with DE, Bedlam and Phantom as a precaution.
    2. Have the pros Vikane all of my things
    3. Pray.

Does this sound like a good plan? I'm not rich, but I'd be willing to eat ramen for a month if it meant getting my life back. Has anyone else fled successfully?

Also:
    I have a tupperware container in the kitchen cupboard full of bagged spices, I can't Vikane these, but do you think a visual inspection would be good enough? I can't imagine the bugs seeking out cayenne pepper and tumeric
    Also, I have some wine that I'm nervous about Vikaning, maybe just wipe the bottles down with alcohol?

Thanks for creating a great, supportive community, I've learned so much!

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon May 14 2012 0:47:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Find a new place and fumigate your belongings before you move in. No need to treat the new place, you're either pregnant or you're not so don't use chemicals when you don't need to. Be sure to check the bed bug registry for the history of the new place. Also try and ask people who live in the building or next door about the new land lord. Maybe others could shed some light on the new place and why its available.

The spices and wine can be inspected and cleared. It's not a spot the bugs would be interested in. Good Luck!

3. PhillyBugsMe

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 15 2012 0:22:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice!!

4. Koebner

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 15 2012 13:24:33
    #

Login to Send PM

PhillyBugs - Just to cheer you up a bit; I took the "move out & fumigate en route" approach after repeated re-infestations from an adjoining property. I've had no problems since I moved & have now been bug-free for 18 months.

5. PhillyBugsMe

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 15 2012 21:29:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Koebner! I really am optimistic about the power of Vikane

6. motherbugger

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 3 2012 8:59:41
    #

Login to Send PM

May I ask what part of philly you're in? I'm in south philly and am in a HEAVILY infested building... Nightmare.

I'm also thinking of vikane... Which company are u going with? Maybe we could share the cost if feasible? Lmk, n lmk how it went if u already finished up!

7. almartino

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2012 16:55:12
    #

Login to Send PM

hey fellow philadelphians although our city is great for many reasons (lorenzos pizza, etc), its horrible for others, such as bed bugs. just had a long battle with those little bastards and figured id offer some advice for people looking for a solid PCO in philadelphia. try Prodigy Pest Solutions in essington.

Matt, the owner, is a pretty knowledgeable dude and came right out to our place after calling him. think i found them from stalking these forums actually lol

[admin note: link to Prodigy Pest removed]

8. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2012 20:52:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Philly

As a person who has a persistent infestation (one year) and moved twice and brought them with twice despite extreme precaution

I'd say go crazy on the prep, throw out stuff you don't need, and I'm with Koebner with the Vikane, it's not available where I live, but if it was I'd jump on it immediately, I have a few friends in the US that did that and it also worked out well for them

you hear very often of insecticide failing, you also hear of heat failing, but it is really rare to hear of Vikane failing

good luck to you

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug