Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » How bed bugs are changing the world

Peripheral concerns (drinking beer at night to sleep, and getting fat!)

(12 posts)
  1. theprey

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 3:38:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Why not add to the list of things I'll blame on bed bugs? I find it difficult to sleep when I feel like things are crawling on me, so I've taken to drinking a beer or two (or, rarely -- I'm a very small person, though expanding -- three) a night so that I am anesthetized to the sensation.

(Quick history: haven't seen a bug here in my new(ish) apartment, but it's pretty clear I'm still being bitten.)

I live in Brooklyn, and Cesar of Freedom Pest has done an amazing job so far. We've had two treatments.

I hadn't been bitten in bed recently, so I'd been going to bed without drinking and was feeling much better and being more productive in general. (I've even told the facilities people at work about the problem, and they seemed to be taking it seriously. Our office is moving -- the better to dodge the problem -- and I threw away almost everything in my cubicle before the exterminator arrived to treat it this evening.)

So, once at home, I made the mistake of sitting on my couch and then at my husband's computer desk (in the extra bedroom) for a while tonight, and I walked away with at least ten new bites. So I'm back to the beer and the bloatedness, and I'm wondering: how do the bugs bite you in places that are covered when you're just sitting around?

Also, short of developing a dependency on pills, which seems like a far more dangerous proposition than a beer or two, how do I sleep?

2. belle72

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 9:21:34
    #

Login to Send PM

That's mind boggling, if you're awake and sitting down and your'e getting bitten with NO awareness until it's over. 1) Any chance the bites could have been from the night before and just didn't react until you noticed them? 2) Could they have come in your car (horrible thought I know) when you were occupied with driving?

As to sleep...I know pill addiction is a dangerous thing but consult your Dr., he may have a few safe things for you to try in the short term. That and pray.

3. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 12:46:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I've heard good things about Tylenol PM (that it works, has no side effects and is not addictive) but I have not used it myself. (And what side effects or dependency it may cause may be individual, no? I don't know.)

Some have argued that they can bite through clothing; others say that is an impossibility, that they crawl underneath. Keeping us guessing is part of the bedbug's mystique.

(Actually what is probably true is that they can bite through some but not all materials.)

4. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 15:22:43
    #

Login to Send PM

The sleep agent used in Tylenol PM is a lower dose of Ambien according to my doctor, believe me Tynelol PM didn't work that's why I went to the doctors for Ambien. However, I must say I have Ambien CR and I missed my stop on the train today because I fell back asleep, it probably effects people differently but made me sleepy for more than 8 hours....

Another trick I'm using since I've begun to sleep in my bed is to have a fan blow on my face....I like white noise and that way I don't "feel" anything crawling on me if they are. When I slept in the guest room (for about 3 weeks) I had a fan blow on most of my low half of my body. Which is why I felt one crawling on my face and woke up. I had no idea they were even in that room! (They followed me there!)

5. Adele

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 16:49:38
    #

Login to Send PM

ThePrey - I am so sorry you are still going through this ordeal to that extent. Especially after vikane and moving, etc...

But Cesar is the best and keep the faith that you will conquer them!!

all my best to you

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 23:24:03
    #

Login to Send PM

A normal dose of melatonin can be helpful in making you sleepy. It's in the vitamin section and if used properly, shouldn't cause problems.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. heartattackhelpme

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Aug 7 2008 0:09:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi the same thing has happened to me regarding the bbs moving to the other chairs etc in the home.
    They are miserable to deal with and they seem to keep on moving around. I too agree that it seems very hard to see them at all. Then the bites show up at night after sitting. Three in a row....there is no mistaking the bites and how they feel after you become bitten.
    They are different than mosquitoes they are different than fleas they are what they are and no one can tell me differently. I know they are still here.
    I agree the sleeping is very hard too I am starting to take muscle relaxants with a homeopathic sleeping aid. I still don't sleep well.

8. jezzbb

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Aug 7 2008 3:31:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Melatonin is good as Nobugsonme has suggested. It has no side effects if the dosage is followed.

9. Stefan

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2008 7:04:36
    #

Login to Send PM

To whoever said ambien and tylanol are related.. You need to find a new doctor. Not only are they not related, there not even close! Almost all PM meds(tylanol, excedrin, advil PM) use dyphenhydramine HCL is the sleep aid. Do you know what that is? Its benadryl, an anti-histamin Thats it, simple benadryl, If anything, it will help with the itching associated with our critter problem. Ambiens active ingredient is Zolpidem, A sedative hypnotic, a serious sedatory drug. The two could not be more un related

10. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Aug 9 2008 10:41:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I will list some things that help me sleep, and then at the end I'll mention some health food supplements

Here are some things that help me sleep:

--If I am getting anxious during the day, I try to disspel it as it arises so it can't accumulate
    --when I get home I light a scented candle and leave it burning until I go to bed. I associate that smell with the feeling of being home. It signals my work day is DONE.
    --I unpacked some of my knick-knacks so I felt like I had at least one corner of my home back
    --that "crawling feeling" I know well. I never have it anymore because I figured out it was not real. Whenever it came up I used to jump and look and nothing was there. So then I stopped jumping and looked only after a few seconds and a deep breath. Then it stopped.
    --reading a book in bed makes me sleepy. I use a flashlight so I can just flick it off and go right to sleep (the book never leaves the room)
    --keeping a cd with classical music always loaded in a player near the bed
    --relaxation techniques while lying in bed really work
    --lavendar oil is relaxing, I put a few drops under my pillow
    --I find a quick bath helps me relax tremendously. It doesn't have to be a long one.

I'm not saying I'm perfect and not stressed, but this stuff really helps.

Ok, so for supplements, I would say that if you are having full-on insomnia, that's when melatonin or sleeping pills are something to consider. If you're more having trouble falling asleep but then you stay asleep after that, I would go this route:
    --take your multivitimins daily
    --i've heard vitamin b is support for the nerves and makes you relaxed, but I don't know enough about it--you should read up on vitamin b toxicity and whether it's safe to take a B supplement in addition to your daily vitamins
    --calcium keeps your mucles relaxed
    --so does potassium. So a banana and a calcium supplement every day
    --milk and turkey make you relaxed and drowsy
    --all proteins support the production of seratonin, which combats anxiety
    --nuts support the nervous system and the creation of the myelin sheathes, which are the insulators around the nerves. try having a handful of nuts with breakfast.

these items come in pill or tea form and I have tried them myself and found them to be useful. I take them during PMS time. You might want to read up on these thigns as well. I heard valerian might cause blood thinning (but so does alcohol)
    --st. johns wort supports mood (but interferes with birth control pills so don't take it if you're on the pill)
    --kava kava
    --valerian (this stuff is amazing)

11. Adele

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Aug 9 2008 16:23:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Mangycur

good for you and thanks for the suggestions

you are really an inspiration for how to get on with life despite the curse of Bedbugs

12. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Aug 9 2008 18:25:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele, I really hope it helps. The reason I'm so keen on sharing this stuff is because the bed bugs have been really hard on me and I realized I needed to get serious about taking care of my stress.

And I'm not going to say I'm totally stress free. I keep breaking out in hives and I'm eating way too much junk. But I AM sleeping and I am NOT crying at work, which were problems I had been having before. So the techniques are helping me and I'm sure they can help everyone.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,187 posts in 50,134 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92