Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Percautions with granddauther visit

(6 posts)
  1. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 9 2007 10:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I baby sit with 6-year old granddaughter every Saturday while her father works. She has not been here for the last 3 weeks. As soon as I knew I was infested, and after reading many of the experiences here, we decided against it. But she is coming tomorrow.

I have steamed LR furniture twice, also area rug. I have placed DE into baseboards and under furniture. I have clothes laundered and in bags, I have two cats, and don’t know if they are being bitten.

She is coming tomorrow for the day. Precautions I am taking will be that she will not go into my bedroom. When she comes her shoes and coat will go into a clean bag, and I will place in a chest freezer. When she goes home her dad will have clean clothes, and she will change into these in the porch and then go. I will not let her sit on the recliner chair to watch TV.

I expect that they will not be on her skin, but she has long hair which is tied at the back like a braid. I’m a little worried about any nymphs getting into her hair,

Any suggestions as what else we could do? What do you think about the hair?

I have not yet hired a PCO. About 3 weeks ago, I saw two cast skins and two nymphs which I killed as quickly as possible, I now need to trap one to show the PCO company as they are not allowed to treat without proof. I have been getting bites as well. Have isolated my bed, My bedroom is clean of clothes, books, only a few empty pieces of furniture.

Any comments would really be appreciated.

2. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 9 2007 11:01:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, you've apparently already made this decision. Since you are inviting all comments, I have to say I'm not sure why you are doing this. It seems to me that it would be easier for you to take precautions yourself: shower, dress from clean, bagged clothes, leaving immediately and not taking much of anything with you to babysit her at her home.

Having her come to your home, there are many more things out of your control.

That said, I wouldn't worry about hair. Contact with bedbugs is accidental. They feed and they go back to hiding. They don't stay on humans. Read this from entomologist Dini Miller: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12133597/

Just have her shower and change when she returns home. And make sure she doesn't bring stuff, toys, backpack, things. The less things to worry about it, the better.

3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 9 2007 11:11:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Bites44

It really sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with the precautions you are planning.

Try to relax & enjoy your grandchild's visit.

If you wish to take additional measures you could try a product like the natural cedar oil spray.

4. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 9 2007 12:34:57
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can spend time outside the house with her (museum, movie, shopping, walks) you will be more relaxed since you won't be worried about her being exposed to bedbugs. (Not that we are 100% safe from bedbugs anyplace).

Also, I'd remind her not to bring her favorite toy(s) with her. They might not be able to go into the dryer, so they could go home infested. The loss of a toy is tough for a kid.

I hope you are able to talk to her about bedbugs at an age-appropriate level and tell her what is going on in your home. She is sure to notice that things are different. I think she'd be more comfortable if you clued her in upfront. Kids that age have eagle eyes and she might see something you don't.

5. BBsBlow

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 9 2007 18:44:58
    #

Login to Send PM

What if you put her hair into a bun?

6. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 9 2007 19:46:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Some really great ideas. Unfortunately I cannot go to her home to babysit, for all kinds of reasons. I am her main female caregiver and I always see her for the whole day Saturdays, while my son works.

She usually never brings toys, as she has a lot here, but they have been put away. We are going for breakfast with my brother, but after hearing your answer, Parakeets, I will stay in the mall longer and buy some DVD’s, and we will go to the pet store to look at the animals, buy ice-cream, etc. Oh, if I could only walk better (I have to use a cane and am very slow)-- then we could also go to the pool. Too cold here now for playground.

Putting up the hair in a bun is a good idea, and also thinking about the bun, even if I don’t wash her hair here, then I could use a blow dryer on it.

Thank you for the link on Dini Miller, Hopelessnomo--- I found that helpful and it is another link for my favorites.

At the Canadian thanksgiving, second week in October I had a birthday party for GD and celebration, and had about 12 family members over. I found the bed bug the next day. So far no has reported any infestation. So am hopeful, as I wouldn’t wish this trauma on anybody.

Thank you all for your answers.
    I want to add that this forum has been a great help to me, am reading old posts and learning more each day. I have noticed that everyone is so kind and caring.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,207 posts in 50,139 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10