Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

people should be required to warn neighbors

(15 posts)
  1. tisIsaidthefly

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 1:50:12
    #

Login to Send PM

when they're going to spray for bed bugs. I find it amazing that in a city like New York, etc. - exterminators can go and literally soak someone's apartment with insecticides and not even be
    legally required to warn the tenant's neighbors. If you live upstairs from the person who's apartment is being sprayed, the fumes will rise and you will inhale it. Doesn't it say that you should never inhale that stuff? Well how is that possible under the circumstances I speak of?

2. tisIsaidthefly

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 1:51:12
    #

Login to Send PM

correction - I mean "whose" and not "who's."

3. toledo

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 8:50:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Well at least that's better than the neighbors who have bed bugs and never do anything about it. I think they should be required to tell neighbors so that neighbors can WATCH for bed bugs in their own apartments. I think there should be some type of disclosure statement that an apartment has had bed bugs in the past, too. When we lived in Texas, we had to put a sticker under our kitchen sink, declaring that our home had termites and had been treated. Also, no matter where you buy a home, there is a disclosure statement with "Has the home ever had a wet basement?", and at least a dozen other standard questions.

4. Beth

account closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 13:08:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree. When I had a pco come in my last place I warned the downstairs neighbor when it would be happening as she was pregnant. You never know who is living near you and what kind of health problems they have.

A few years ago, my downstairs neighbor had cockroaches. The landlord had a guy come and spray and didn't tell me until after the fact as he wanted to spray in my apartment. I was glad he did, as I had been seriously ill and had no idea why.

Amy

5. tisIsaidthefly

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 13:31:53
    #

Login to Send PM

First of all, it is outrageous that someone sprayed for cockroaches since it is NOT even the best way to deal with them. Nowadays, they have combat roach bait trays and it WORKS. One roach eats the poison and then returns to the nest and dies. Then it is eaten by the other roaches and then they die till there are no more. My building used to so infested it was a nightmare and now? We have not even SEEN a roach for about sixteen years or more. But getting back to the bedbugs etc., I am severely allergic to bed bugs and getting bit is a horror show for me. But being poisoned isn't much fun either. In fact, since this all started my life has turned into a real nightmare. I'm very desperately ill, weak and unable to hardly even cook anymore - all since the exterminator poisoned me. It boggles
    the mind when you consider it. It does say on all insecticide directions "DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT INHALE." Well HOW can someone avoid inhaling the insecticide when the exterminator is spraying right under your apartment? Fumes like smoke rise. Meanwhile, you can't even smell it which would at least warn you but even if it has no odor? You can FEEL it. It literally burns your nostrils and your lips etc. It is POISON and yes, it is a miracle to be able to get rid of bugs etc., but it should be done responsibly and with consideration to everyone. I'm elderly and in poor health and this was the LAST thing in the world I needed. On and to add insult to injury?
    The building's exterminator told Killer Queen that I REFUSED to prepare my apartment for treatment. A BIG FAT LIE. It's got nothing to do with refusing. It's got to do with me living in a rent control apartment and the landlord refusing to make repairs. I can actually SEE the light from the downstairs neighbor's apartment coming through my floorboards from all the cracks in his ceiling and my floors. There is NO WAY any SANE person could not realize that I WOULD also be poisoned if someone sprayed that apartment but hey - they didn't care. They just wanted to be rid of their bugs and too bad if someone gets killed. Oh, and get this. My landlord's exterminator claims he tried the freezing method and it doesn't work. BS. Bell Bed bugs gets a LOT of money for using the freeze method and it works. That's ALL the hospitals use and they get rid of them just fine. I mean okay - it might require an extra treatment or two but so what? We're talking about life or death here. There are children and pets and elderly sick people in my building and they all DESERVE consideration.

6. Beth

account closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 13:41:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Right on, couldn't have said it better myself tisI. Since a run in with medical malpractice, the detox pathways in my liver are shot and pesticides make me very ill. Weak, as you said, that's a major symptom if you look pesticide exposure up.

I would wager 1/3rd of the world AT LEAST is elderly, children or ill and this should give all pco's pause when spraying in a multi unit dwelling without the knowledge and agreement of all involved.

TisI, I am ready to file a class action suit against New York State for failing to offer reasonable accomodations to those with disabilities who are living with bed bugs in terms of treatment, both affordability AND pesticide exposure. We have to find a lawyer first, however, and that may prove difficult, but it's an important issue.

Best of luck to you. I am SO sorry you are going through this. Are you able to move? It sounds as if your living quarters are not healthy for you.

Amy

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 16:01:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Only aerosol or gas (fumigation) insecticides should be able to pass between party walls. Most liquid formulations are simply too heavy and will fall to the floor or surface rather than rise between units.

Notifying neighbours should be put in place to help identify sources of the problem rather than for risks during treatment reasons.

Of course if you go "happy slappy" and over treat issues can arise but for the most part liquid and dust formulations should never be able to penetrate between units if they are in a good state of repair.

Hope that clarifies a few issues.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. BugsInTO

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 19:13:37
    #

Login to Send PM

We told our neighbours in the other half of the semi, as a courtesy, when we were having our house sprayed and suggested it would be a good idea if they stayed out of the house for a while afterwards. We even changed the date to match with their schedule.

They were not happy about the inconvenience and gave us a bit of a hard time.

The PCO never mentioned any requirement for it, but we thought it was best, because we couldn't believe this old house was actually going to be air-tight between the two houses.

But, in going to them and telling them, it was as if we were confirming that the pesticide could be harmful to them, and I was concerned that they might start to look at it as us being responsible to compensate them for their inconvenience and/or potential harm.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 1:08:34
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 9 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Only aerosol or gas (fumigation) insecticides should be able to pass between party walls. Most liquid formulations are simply too heavy and will fall to the floor or surface rather than rise between units.

Hi David,

What about fumes from sprays?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 6:06:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi David,
    What about fumes from sprays?

Hi,

Most sprays I would use are liquid based and suspended in water to have a low volatility. It is possible to get near odorless insecticides and the issue is as much about how much you use as what you use.

Some of the automatic protocols we see are simple overkill for the situation at hand and as I have said many times the safest way to use products is in the lowest possible quantities to get the maximum beneficial effects.

I have been doing some field tests on air purifiers for remediation of over treated properties and the results look good so far. I sometimes see cases that have been a massively over treated but thankfully they are not that common and a good clean usually resolves things.

David

11. Beth

account closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 13:58:38
    #

Login to Send PM

don't a lot of pco's use aerosols? Both of mine did.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 14:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

They certainly seem to be more common in the US than the UK which may in part account for the longer infestation durations you see in the US.

David

13. Beth

account closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 14:22:08
    #

Login to Send PM

You're probably right David.

The US is far behind the times on these things.

Amy

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 14:29:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In some aspects of the BB issue the US is ahead of the rest of the world and yet in others it lags way behind, and I do respectfully mean way - way behind.

As much as I love the US there is what the ROW call the NIH principle - not invented here which seems to exclude some people in the US from looking outside of the 50 states for ideas or inspiration. When you do bring something to the table its not unusual to be met by someone saying well it may work in your country but for you to get it to work over here or in my sand box you will have to pay me or at least cut me in on the action. I had that conversation when I was in Vegas the other year and told the nasty man to jog on into the dessert.

I would happily integrate any of the US pieces of legislation into the UK to make my job easier but for actually treating bedbugs I am more than happy with what we have here thanks.

David

15. DustinBBKiller

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 16:35:27
    #

Login to Send PM

We carry a wide range of products with only 1 of them actually being a pyrethrin based aerosol. That product is basically a contact kill with little to no residual. As David said, most of our products are liquid based as well.

In multi-unit dwellings I almost always go around and let the tenants in the surrounding areas know what I plan on doing(even though we aren't required to). Information is a powerful tool. To be able to gather needed, useful info from other tenants is key in ensuring successful eradication by the PCO.

And yes the US is slow but come on, the US gov. isn't all that efficient to begin with

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug