Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

PCOs - what do bites and fecal USUALLY look like, based on your experience?

(8 posts)
  1. NYCbites

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Feb 6 2011 15:11:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I've done a lot of research, mostly on this site, and see a lot of varying and conflicting information. Everyone's bites and fecal matter looks different...but I have a few questions for the professionals - mostly relating to your most COMMON observations.

1. People can have isolated bites or linear bites, or no reaction, but what do you usually see?
    2. What does fecal look like on sheets or on smooth surfaces, usually? I've seen many pics on this site that turn out not to be fecal, so a general description of what you usually observe would be great.
    3. Are dogs effective for IDing the location of bed bugs? There seems to be debate about this too.

Thank you - we were "diagnosed" in October and treated repeatedly since then. I don't know for sure if they are gone based on conflicting signs in my apartment and weird "bite" looking things (maybe I'm just looking too hard?)

I appreciate your time!

2. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Feb 6 2011 17:50:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I would say, there is no "usual" patern for bites. Reactions are so variable that it is very difficult to generalise. Saying that, they are often not dissimilar to a mosquito bite.

The fecal traces one usually finds are black. If the surface is absorbent, they will look like spots of ink from a fountain pen. They are usually 1-3 mm accross. On a shiny surface they dry as small, raised spots that can be picked off or removed on tape.

Regarding dogs, this is a point of debate. Good dogs with good handlers can be very effective at finding bugs, but dogs are well known to report false possitives for a reward, which is why it is important to always confirm with a visual inspection before treating.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Feb 6 2011 20:09:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Please read our faq on dogs if you're considering hiring one.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. OCD

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2011 11:25:07
    #

Login to Send PM

If feces are on wood will they absorb or will the be able to be picked off?

5. circles

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2011 22:27:13
    #

Login to Send PM

i've heard that BB feces is dried blood and adding water will make it change to a bloody stain. is this true? (i have some BB feces from my live bed bug collection but i really don't want to open the glass to test the theory.)

6. bedbugman

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 11 2011 7:25:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Take a look at this video although this was an extreme case it clearly shows the processed blood spots left by Mr bug. I'm going to put a page of photos up on my site in the next few days showing examples of what to look for.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Videos

Enjoy

7. bedbugman

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 11 2011 7:30:40
    #

Login to Send PM

OCD - 20 hours ago  » 
    If feces are on wood will they absorb or will the be able to be picked off?

If its on wood wetting your finger or a q tip if your squeamish and rubbing across the spot will smear it. I will do a video later today to demonstrate.

8. bedbugman

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 11 2011 14:37:13
    #

Login to Send PM

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Videos

Hope this helps

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,788 posts in 49,802 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991