Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

PCOs and methods

(21 posts)
  1. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 21:28:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I started this conversation a little in another thread, but thought I might get some more opinions in a separate thread....

So I have an appt/treatment with a PCO on Friday but now I'm wondering if I was wrong to hire this particular one.

The one I hired: Locally owned/operated, decent price, knowledgeable about BB, knew it would take 3-4 treatments to get rid of the BB, said he has had a lot of calls this year doing over 100 BB calls just this year, would treat our cars (which have them), and his second visit would follow 2-3 weeks after the initial one. My concern: On the first visit he said he'd fog (with DT50? I think) and spray with Tempo. The follow up visits would be just spraying.

Now here's my other options to choose from:
    Terminix: $200 more than the one above but spray around perimeter of home (though we have a townhome so....), come every 3 to 6 weeks, but won't treat our cars; however, they are a large reputable company and stick to spraying.
    Company 3: Been in business over 40 years, locally owned/operated, have 90 day guarantee but they only treat once (guess they are confident in the residual of their product). Are coming out tomorrow to inspect and give a price.
    Orkin wouldn't talk to me because I'm not the official owner of our place (we're renting currently) and another company who does bed bugs has not returned my call yet.
    Most other companies I found don't deal enough with bed bugs or only deal with outdoor pests/spraying foundations, etc.

So I don't know....they all have their pros and cons....but I am kind of worried about the whole fogging thing. (It's the fog that kills them and not just drives them out). I don't think our problem is significantly huge yet considering that I'm certain we've only had them 3 weeks and we've been doing all the other stuff on the do's and don'ts along with self treating with DE/pyrethrum. Our bites in size and number have decreased so far and we plan on continuing the use of DE along with the PCO treatment. So with all that said, would fogging really be that bad? Should I ask him just to spray? (I know that many sprays companies use are not working anymore... BB becoming resistant to pyrethium...which is a main ingredient in Tempo).
    *sigh* It's just too hard of a decision and more money from the pocket....I need some help...or a vacation...(I'd take either one).

2. nomorebugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 21:59:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you just ask the first company not to bomb? Wouldn't a flushing agent to flush bed bugs out be a spray anyway? I don't really know.

Ask the second company what it would cost for two sprays, divided by 14 days. I think that is the most commonly accepted protocol, and probably the safest.

How do know you have bed bugs in your car?

3. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 22:14:26
    #

Login to Send PM

My car is the only place my little toddler seems to get bites at. We also found two live non-adult bugs in there. (None in our house). I've also felt bites and gotten the classic welts when driving around.

The second company is coming over tomorrow to inspect so I'll have to ask about a second time. Just worried though if there ends up being a third time....or a fourth time.

4. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2007 22:14:38
    #

Login to Send PM

My car is the only place my little toddler seems to get bites at. We also found two live non-adult bugs in there. (None in our house). I've also felt bites and gotten the classic welts when driving around.

The second company is coming over tomorrow to inspect so I'll have to ask about a second time. Just worried though if there ends up being a third time....or a fourth time.

5. pleasehelp

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 0:01:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I've never heard of spraying for bb's around the perimeter of a house (meaning on the outside, right?) Has anybody else? Is there good reason to do this?

6. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 1:06:59
    #

Login to Send PM

K - That's what I thought. What...we have them outside too? I wonder if they just treat all pests the same...or that maybe they are concerned that some got outside or are coming from the townhouse next door? Don't know. I just want this to be over with.

7. nomorebugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 2:13:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Not that I'm an expert, but I never heard of spraying outside. Once bed bugs get inside of a home, they can travel but inside the walls, perhaps shared walls. Unless someone leaned an infested mattress against your wall. I don't think it's necessary.

You can ask Sean.

8. SamSmithPCO

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 10:01:55
    #

Login to Send PM

currentinsomniac
    I think from what you have posted here that #1 sounds like the guy with the most experience and best plan of attack. Nothing against Terminix, but they are probally an independant company too, just like #1. Terminix franchises their name.
    A perimeter spray seems unnecessary to me and maybe even inappropriate. #3 Does not sound (by your account) to have much knowledge of bb treatments. This is new ground for most PCOs (as I am sure all of you know) and so just because they have been in business 40 years does not mean they know Bed Bugs. My vote is for #1 (based on what has been presented here)

Maybe ask for references for other bb treatments performed by the company (and call them)

9. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 12:55:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice Sam.

I did actually have a company call me back today. The technician sounded very knowledgeable and even knew about the parasites that are suspected of being passed around by bedbugs (by bedbugs and other biting insects down in Peru...which, BTW, is where I'm pretty sure mine came from). His methods seem thorough in that he says he approaches it as he would fleas and roaches....sprays in cupboards sometimes, baseboards, outlets, etc...as well as mattresses, and all the carpeting. He says he returns 14 days later and sprays again if necessary, but so far it seems that just the once has been enough to work. He says that as far as he knows he's had 100% success rate getting rid of them. The business has been around 40 years...which seems to not really matter....
    The chemicals he uses are pyrethrin based and I have to leave for 8 hours. The chemicals are probably pretty potent and he says that everything (carpets, etc) have to dry thoroughly.
    But has anyone heard of a PCO treating the whole carpet with poison?
    What do you think of that?

10. poorBugger

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 13:40:38
    #

Login to Send PM

i also interviewed terminex...they spray the perimeter outside so that any pest that's outside the perimeter that looks at your property with evil intent will die when they cross it, as well as every pest inside it :)...i asked them why they did this and they said that they don't specifically spray for bedbugs per se...they've written a special addendum into their general pest control protocol to include bedbugs...which means that you're getting sprayed for mice, termites, wasps, etc as well...which i suppose is good if you have all of those too, but what if you only want to treat for bedbugs?...they told me that treatments every three months for a year would solve it ;)...and when i asked what chemicals they used, they said they use thousands of chemicals to protect my home from pests, and couldn't be nailed down to what they would specifically use for bedbugs...didn't get any satisfactory answers from them, so moved on...this is not to say that in another part of the country they may be top-notch with bedbugs tho...

11. buggeroff

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 15:44:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone would be lucky if he "knew" that a second spray was needed in 14 days. In 14 days, you may have nothing but two dozen unfed nymphs. If he doesn't actually see one, will he spray anyway?

Eight hours is a long time, but he may get the carpet pretty wet, so maybe the long drying time is a good idea. When my PCO fogged, I had to stay out for 4 hours.

A perimeter spray sounds like a waste of spray to me. Unless you've got carpenter ants or fleas or something.....

12. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 17:14:28
    #

Login to Send PM

buggeroff..... did the fogging work? I actually have an appointment with a PCO tomorrow morning and he wants to fog and spray at the same time. I'm deadly afraid of the fogging because of bad experiences other people have had...with them coming back...or running to the neighbors homes (I live in a townhome) When did you have yours done? What have you noticed so far?

13. SamSmithPCO

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 17:43:15
    #

Login to Send PM

currentinsomniac

Did anyone answer your question about PCOs spraying the whole carpet?

If not, here goes.

I would have to say in the case of bed bugs (and fleas) it is a good idea as long as the pesticide label permits it.

14. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 17:43:36
    #

Login to Send PM

SAM...don't know if you'll check this thread again, but what do you think about a PCO who treats all the carpet? I totally plan on cleaning the carpets after this whole ordeal is over with and just retreating the baseboards, but I wonder how safe that would be in the meantime.

15. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 17:44:27
    #

Login to Send PM

lol...thanks. Looks like you were answering my question before I posted it.

16. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 17:47:36
    #

Login to Send PM

K- here's another question. Does the pesticide tempo permit something like that (if you know). I hired someone to come out tomorrow and he does want to fog and then spray with tempo. I'm still debating about the whole fogging thing since I share walls with other people...but I think he might be willing to do something like treating all the carpet the first time around instead...if it's safe.

17. itchyincharmcity

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 17:50:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I read somewhere that sometimes they fog with a flushing agent, to flush bugs out of their hiding spaces. You should ask him what exactly the fogger is supposed to do.

18. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 17:58:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if the pesticide fogger he'll use is a flushing one or not since he says it kills any bugs it touches/reaches. He says the fogging won't kill the ones that are hidden well (but aren't most?) and the spray he'll put down (a residual) will get the rest as they come out to feed.

19. SamSmithPCO

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 18:12:08
    #

Login to Send PM

currentinsomniac

From the Tempo SC Ultra label

"Use Tempo SC Ultra as a general surface, spot, mist, or crack and crevice treatment in and around buildings and structure."

Some would say this label, because it says "general surface" and "mist" is saying it is O.K.

20. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 18:23:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much Sam! You are extremely helpful. What would we do without you!?

21. buggeroff

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2007 18:50:21
    #

Login to Send PM

current

Fogging was suggested by two different PCOs mainly because they had to treat my attic (detached house). There was no useful way to spray or dust with all the low rafters, insulation, wiring and other junk up there. They fogged the entire house, they sprayed Suspend (a version of Tempo, I think), they dusted, I vacuumed, washed, dried, opened, tore apart, sealed, baked - you name it, we did it all.

In a detached house, there are no "moral" issues with fogging - you know, pushing the bugs into someone else's place. I don't know whether it really did anything, but I decided it wouldn't hurt if the PCO was also doing everything else.

I am in the wait-and-pray phase. They treated three times and I have not been bitten in several weeks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,258 posts in 46,757 topics over 142 months by 20,629 of 21,513 members. Latest: Ento1, jungr, laurwes