Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Pco with bedbugs

(15 posts)
  1. jduk

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 7:18:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I was wondering if any professional pest control officers have brought bed bugs into their own homes and if so how did the treat and how did they react!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 7:33:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Good question. A few years ago I did bring a little of my work home with me following a rather nasty case (about 150,000 bedbugs in a single bedroom flat).

It was limited to about 5 bedbugs which were all found in and around the passive monitor that I had installed to be on the safe side. Once removed and checked the job was done, no chemicals, nothing disposed of and life back for normal in a few hours.

Of course I blamed it on my partner of the time who would not follow my advice with regards not sitting down on public transport, she was soon an ex however.

It is however a lot less common an occurrence than I would have assumed given the level of work we do and the exposure to bedbugs that I have.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly declare my vested interest in the passive monitoring technology as the inventor but this example clearly illustrates that they do in fact work.

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 7:42:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I received my first call from a technician who brought BBs home from worjk with him about five years ago. He didn't know what to do because he could not afford to pay for the job at his company's normal prices.

Interesting how we may react when it's "us" !

pb

4. jduk

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 7:51:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Gosh! Now see, I would be anxiety ridden for weeks waiting to see if any procreation had occurred. I do find it amazing that the various guys that have inspected my premises only wear protective gear when actively treating and only don pair of latex gloves when inspecting , albeit in A uniform. One told me he managed to take fleas home once. then again here in uk it is still relatively uncommon Area of pest control( I think). Glad to hear that even the experts have issues with their partners following precautions!

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 8:09:10
    #

Login to Send PM

jduk - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Glad to hear that even the experts have issues with their partners following precautions!

I had more issues than just that which is why she became an ex shortly after.

In my case there was no lingering worry or anxiety as I knew the issue was resolved first time. My greatest concern would have been how to treat my iron bed given that liquid would ruin the finish.

David

6. jduk

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 8:11:59
    #

Login to Send PM

David great to hear that the passive picked up your issue so quickly. I have your passive monitor installed on my metal framed bed with wooden slats. Can I just double check that it is ok to have it fitted under my mattress and stuck onto top most wooden slat at head of bed I.e. Pillow, mattress, monitor, slat? I know you have explained this countless times and instructions come with monitor but when I followed them the monitor was upside down on underside of slat and facing floor! I have had in situ for 6 months with no signs of activity but still getting occasional bite like reactions with most worrying one of late being 3 in a row at top of outer thigh which manifest yesterday after initial burst of itching. Also have 2 little suspicious spots on forehead. Trying to keep rational but as all this stuff started around same time last year I am hugely disappointed to see these marks on my skin as things seemed to have calmed over past few months and last documented activity was 8 months ago.

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 8:28:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Note that the BBs don't read the books or give a flip over who's house they're invading.

Just because we are professional exterminators, it doen't make us Superman or BB proof ourselves.

At times they can be the pest controller's Kryptonite (sp?) these days.

They are "equal opportunity infesters" !

Have a nice day, paul b.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 8:28:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi jdUK,

The orientation does not matter too much, with time I have moved towards upper surface but that is only the difference between 98% perfect and 100%. Ia m trying to find the time and ability to visit a bed shop and go through all the designs and styles to illustrate pictorially where are the best places to install but time is the one commodity I am always in short supply of.

David

9. jduk

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 8:35:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David. Hope you get to rest up over Xmas Safe in the knowledge that business will be booming after the festivities are over, what with all the travelling around and sleeping in strange beds anaesthetised with Christmas spirit and god forbid bb anaesthesia!! Merry Christmas .

10. jduk

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 8:44:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear PBello what a state of affairs that a technician cannot access the services needed to treat a work induced infestation. Should be gratis surely? . I just find it interesting that the public are so afraid of spreading to the outside world despite taking massive precautions yet the guys that work at the coal face manage to go from job to job and still keep relatively free of spreading them around.

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 10:52:24
    #

Login to Send PM

GregK just keeps posting ads for his service
    and supplying incorrect information on his website.
    .www.heat-assault.com/bed-bug-faqs.php#faq14

From bed bug information on GreK's website:

What do bed bugs look like?
    Nymph (young bed bug that has not
    had a blood meal) Bed Bug. (1mm long)
    Adult Bed Bug (5mm long)
    ---- Actually looks like a 2nd instar and it
    had eaten because the meal that is being
    digested is easily seen through the cuticle.

Bed bug life cycle
    ---- Horizontal diagram is missing 2nd instar.

What do Bed Bugs eat?
    Bed Bugs feed on blood from humans and animals.
    ---- warm-blooded animals not frogs, for example.

How long have Bed Bugs been around?
    Bed Bugs have been around since 400 BC.
    ---- Longer than that, but this reflect more
    on recorded history.

Why are bed bugs such a problem today?
    When powerful harmful chemicals like DDT
    were banned it gave the bed bugs an opening.
    Today with international travel and the lack
    of education about bed bugs they have been
    able to launch a huge comeback.
    ---- There were resistance issues regarding DDT
    and bed bugs back in the 1940s & 50s, so this isn't
    the correct answer.

How do bed Bugs eat?
    By feeding through 2 feeding tubes one tube
    injects saliva and a mild anesthetic while the
    other tube sucks the blood from its victim.
    Generally you will not feel the bite occur and
    bed bugs will only feed for about 5 minutes.
    ---- I've updated the Wikipedia entry. What he lists
    is really not correct.

What do bed bug bites look like?
    Image not necessarily characteristic.
    ---- The image that is posted is only one example.
    There should be more examples. He hasn't done his homework.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  12. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 11:20:30
    #

Login to Send PM

There is no confusion. You posted a commercial which is outside the posted rules of the website. No one is debating the use of heat.

paul b.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 11:33:07
    #

Login to Send PM

GregK .
    If you read through my posts about your website, you will notice that you have incorrect information about bed bugs. You should correct the incorrect data that you must have simply grabbed from other sites without actually understanding the information.

14. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 22:54:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Greg K,

Please read the FAQs or the Sticky (last one) labeled Warning for Professionals. I'm a consumer and would prefer not to see your ads.

Just a FYI, LouBugs is a famous entomologist who just gave you some free advice. I think you thanked him for it.

Thanks

TAOT

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 20 2011 3:41:26
    #

Login to Send PM

GregK's posts above, promoting his company's products, were deleted.

GregK, I run the site. You're not allowed to advertise in forum threads, period. Please read the Terms and Conditions of site use and this warning to professionals and marketers.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,240 posts in 50,145 topics over 155 months by 21,921 of 22,417 members. Latest: plsnopls, Ldrago, frustrated1970