PCO using obsolete pesticide, open to suggestions

(5 posts)
  1. murielandthebug

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Sep 7 2018 10:44:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey there, we have bed bugs (ID post here). We're in a pre-war, multi-story building in Brooklyn. We're renters, so NY law requires our landlord to eradicate the infestation. They have an ongoing contract with a Queens-based PCO, who I'm fairly certain are of the spray & pray variety.

They've conducted 2 treatments with Suspend SC. Between the first and second visit (which were 10 days apart) I raised concerns with our management that Suspend/Deltamethrin did not work and bugs were immune to it, but my complaints fell on deaf ears.

Our management is inclined to trust the professionals, and the "Senior exterminator" from this PCO assured me that Suspend was great--the best and most effective treatment, and it worked for him before. It's clearly not working though, since we're 8 days out from the second treatment and getting as many bites as ever.

During one of my communications with management they did tell us "If it doesn't work, we'll ask them to try something else. We'll even try a different exterminator if we have to!" These words might be hollow--we're in a rent-stabilized building, so we have the type of management that wants to do things as cheaply and easily as possible.

Experts and non-experts of the forum: what pesticide should I demand from our landlord/PCO? What works well in 2018, particularly here in NYC?

I might add: management is extremely resistant to the idea that our neighbors should be inspected, and the seemingly incompetent PCO insists that bed bugs don't move between units. Management accused me of trying to start a building panic when I suggested talking to our up and downstairs neighbors.

Are we going to be fighting a losing battle if they won't check others? None of the neighbors on our floor share walls with our bedrooms, but since it's an old building there is almost a completely open path up and down the steam heating pipe in the corner of each bedroom, not to mention the wall voids. Another nail in the coffin: this PCO doesn't really inspect. Their first treatment involved no inspection, and the second visit had a little more looking, but they didn't find anything.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Sep 7 2018 15:34:55
    #

Login to Send PM

There's not a whole lot of demanding that can be done unless you're paying the bill. As long as management is making an honest effort to provide you with a vermin-free residence you can either go along with their plan or hire your own professional.

3. murielandthebug

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Sep 7 2018 15:45:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Demand was the wrong word to use there. But as long as they claim they're open to suggestions and Suspend clearly isn't working, I thought we should try to help them brainstorm other possibilities.

But it's true, for 30 days at least, we need to make a good faith effort to let our landlord handle this. After that, we have legal avenues. Even though they'll still retain most of the power, and legal avenues are a poor salve for itchy bites!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Sep 7 2018 22:02:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Most PMPs use more than one method for bed bug treatment— for example, they may steam, apply a spray, and a dust.

Spray + dust is common too.

Another thing to think about is encouraging the landlord to have attached neighbors professionally inspected— if someone else has bed bugs, they may be sending them over.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Sep 7 2018 23:19:02
    #

Login to Send PM

My guess is that my neighbors were never inspected but even if they were, I doubt they would have told me.
    Thankfully they got rid of my bugs with 4 treatments.
    If you're not paying, all you can do is is to stay vigilant and put up with the bitee.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,736 posts in 48,882 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,862 members. Latest: nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver, get_out