(5 posts)
  1. UhOhBunny

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 11 2013 1:45:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:
    So I have now gotten estimates from three companies, all who seem to know their stuff BUT who all have different techniques and opinions about these little.. er... buggers.

Company 1: Using different techniques including steam, chemicals. They will open all outlets and dust with a DEarth type product. No guarantee b/c it's an apt building. They suggest one follow up treatment with more available should they find evidence that they are still there.

Company 2: Primarily will use steam along baseboards/crevices and then apply chemicals. They give a 60 day guarantee post 3rd treatment.

Company 3: Primarily use chemicals along baseboards and crevices with steam for bedding and sofas. They offer a 30 day warranty after 3 treatments.

I had one company tell me they thought a thermal treatment would send them into other apts and one company tell me that they would not scatter b/c BB's like heat and by the time they realized it was getting too hot, it would be too late. Just based on the fact that there are differing opinions I'm not going to take the chance of infecting my neighbors.

The steaming guy said they wouldn't run to another apt because as the heat rose, they would just want to get out of the wall into cooler air - and so would run down into my apt and into his vacuum cleaner.

Here's the thing... I am looking for the best method to eradicate them in my apt without pushing them to another apt. Are there any experts out there who can weigh in?
    I feel like they're all valid methods but not infecting other apts/people is really important to me and I'm just nervous about choosing one over the other.
    Thanks!
    ~Shari

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 11 2013 2:32:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Shari,
    I'm not a PMP so not the best person to advise on methods.
    However, I like that #2 has a 60 day warranty after the third treatment, and that they're using steam & chemicals.

#1 also sounds good. Steam, chemicals and dusts also seems like a popular protocol. They're right that you don't have any guarantees and also, they offer more than one follow-up if needed. So that may be a good option also.

You want a company that's going to follow-up if you find evidence (on bed bug monitors you employ).

The other issue I'm not sure you're addressing is the problem of attached units. How do you know you didn't get bed bugs from attached neighbors? I'm not sure if you're renting and trying not to involve a landlord, but if that's the case, it's worth considering that smart and clued in landlords (not all, by far) will search attached neighbors, and that not having this as a possibility is kind of a risk you're taking. Even if you own or rent in a place where landlords don't pay for treatment, it's worth considering whether you can work with the management for this reason.

Also my perception is the effects of thermal or heat vary a great deal from company to company, because they have to do with methods used. If you're using a very knowledgeable, experienced company with a good reputation (and you know all this not because they're the ones who said so), it can be successful.

Nothing will work if there's a continued source of exposure, but chemicals/dusts are a bit better because they do stick around a bit to catch incoming bed bugs. And note also that some heat/thermal providers also use chemicals or dusts for this reason.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. UhOhBunny

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 11 2013 11:30:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey No bugs...
    Thanks for the quick response. I own my apartment (coop) and the building has no protocol in place for this occurrence (surprising). I don't have to notify anyone.
    However, I actually have decided to notify my neighbors and above/below me. I think if it were me, I would want to know what to look for and what I could do in order to prevent them in my home. That said, I have to make an information sheet in case they aren't home. Do you happen to have a "what to say to the neighbors to educate them and so they don't hate you" sheet? I've googled that with no success.

Truly, I try and keep my thoughts positive but I waver between my let's get this done mentality and tears. This is really overwhelming. And I have no help- friends have offered but I'm terrified they will get it so it's all on me.
    Sorry... baby rant there. <deep breath>
    ~S

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 11 2013 14:13:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Shari,
    We don't have a FAQ on this specifically but you may find helpful information in our FAQs or the Resources page (under fact sheets).

I think it's important to understand that a primary reason for the communication is not just that neighbors may get bed bugs from you, but that they may already have given them to you. In other words, if someone finds bed bugs, don't rush to assume they came from you. Trying to determine the source can be a pointless exercise but people who assume responsibility as the "person who brought bed bugs into the building" are often very wrong-- and this is often apparent only later.

Do you have neighbors next to you as well as above/below?

5. UhOhBunny

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 11 2013 17:30:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey NoBugs...
    Yes- next to me on both sides and above and below. I feel like ground zero but I guess it's possible they're coming from another apt. I think I'm just getting a bit overwhelmed now... my apt is awash in plastic... I'll look in the Resource section for info.
    The PCO that I think I'm going to use (#1) said to make it a more general letter and the proactive steps I'm taking. I'm just reeling right now... I know I'm doing the right thing by telling neighboring apts., but telling everyone is really hard. I'm just beside myself... humiliated maybe, even though I know they can come from anywhere. My head knows but it's still hard. I will be known as the bedbug girl and that's just horrible.
    ~S

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,442 posts in 46,577 topics over 142 months by 20,543 of 21,407 members. Latest: karthikc, Chick, Jay11690