Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

PCO told me to take my mattress encasements off??

(8 posts)
  1. diebbsdie

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri May 7 2010 2:25:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hoping someone might be able to help advise on this....

Today when I was having my place inspected (Had two bites about 2 1/2" apart earlier this week and freaked), the PCO told me to take off my encasements so he could inspect the mattress.

I was shocked. This went against everything I had ever read or heard.

He explained that they made it harder to inspect the mattress and that the bugs could get through the zipper teeth seams.

I told him I bought Protect-a-Bed encasements and that I was confident they were ok. Plus I had put them on when I bought a new bed. Plus I didn't want to risk a bug getting out if they did happen to be in there.

Has anyone else been asked to do this? I did the right thing, right?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. No, did not let him take them off.

P.P.S. Does anyone think that red rings around the bites is a sign that the bites are definitely NOT bedbug bites? Or could a ring around each bite signify bedbug bites?

2. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri May 7 2010 7:34:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Checking the encasements for rips or defects might be in order but if it has not been compromised it should not be removed. As far as circles: literature in regard to Ixodes scapularis describe a bulls eye pattern rash, but if you have reason to suspect tick bites with this pattern you should consult a doctor as early medical intervention can greatly effect the progression of Lyme.

3. diebbsdie

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri May 7 2010 10:54:48
    #

Login to Send PM

hmmm...do you think it is likely that I have ticks in my NYC apartment in the financial district? I have no idea! The bites were horribly itchy and swollen, but the last time I had bedbugs (last summer) there were no rings!

thanks for your help!

(p.s. I did find a little whitish/yellow spider in my climbup interceptor...could that have bitten me?)

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri May 7 2010 11:56:42
    #

Login to Send PM

The problem with ticks is that unlike bed bugs they do live on their host while they feed so asking whether you've got them in your residence doesn't really matter in terms of you having possibly been exposed to them. You may not have ticks in your apartment, but if you walked through tall grass or had one drop on you from a tree branch and it attached itself and began feeding, you may have been exposed that way.

If you've been out to the countryside lately (i.e. someone's backyard in CT or NJ) you could have been exposed to ticks there.

Pets also sometimes carry ticks with them.

Lyme disease isn't something you want to mess around with, so ruling it out as soon as possible is probably a good idea.

5. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri May 7 2010 13:40:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Ticks are not common in NYC and the species that carry Lyme are even less so, a stray brought back as buggy mentioned, so not likely and with ticks normally they fill up and don't bite for months. Spiders do bite and allergic reactions are not uncommon but usually there are not several bites. It is mosquito time in the city so double check that and of course for birds on window sills and A/C units. Good luck, you might want to put some monitor (glue) traps about, and see what you get.

6. diebbsdie

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri May 7 2010 23:48:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Winston, Buggy,
    I haven't been out in the country at all. I did have my window wide open, which has no screen.
    My friends think I'm crazy and paranoid, but I can't help it....I know the signs, and two bites in a row is one of them!
    But i put out climbup interceptors filled with delta dust under each bed leg, and I just received the bedbug beacon just in case. Also am waiting for David Cain's passive monitor to get here.
    Also, I've been avoiding my couch in hopes that if they are in there, they will head to the clumbup interceptors and get trapped in them and die in the poison.

Do you think if I go 2 weeks without bites I don't have them? Will the interceptors work? What glue traps work? I heard they actually didn't get stuck on them, as they're too light?

Thanks for your help!

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 12:52:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Some tick species have been commonly collected in NYC. Dermacentor variabilis, the common dog tick, is one of them. Sometimes Rhipicephalus sanguineus, the brown dog tick, has been collected and this species can withstand being indoors and in kennels, and sometimes has been collected as larvae because eggs have hatched. This is not commonly collected so I wouldn't worry about it. Once in a while the lone star tick, Amlyomma americanum, is brought in for identification. The deer tick, Ixodes scapularis, has also been collected although infrequently. Sometimes people live near grasses, shrubs, forests, meadows, etc., where ticks would be more common that on NYC sidewalks. And people who are on vacation for the weekend often call because ticks are found attached to their bodies. One place where the ticks get on people is where people who have dogs and have been out of the city come to the park and brush their dogs or people just stand around with their dogs and talk to one another (people talking to people, not dogs). Ticks, unlike bed bugs, remain on the host (you) for hours or days while feeding so the suspect arachnid is normally collected from the body. The other option would be bird or rodent mites. Also lesions might not be related to any of the above.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. diebbsdie

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat May 8 2010 17:26:23
    #

Login to Send PM

well, it doesn't sound like a tick bite then, does it?
    i guess i will just hope that it was a mosquito that bit me on my leg twice, 2 1/2" apart.
    i just put out the bedbug beacon monitor, so i'm hoping if i do have a few bedbugs in here, they'll be drawn to the monitor and get trapped!

thanks....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,659 posts in 50,009 topics over 154 months by 21,868 of 22,349 members. Latest: fightingback, Jenloaa, pleasestop