(4 posts)
  1. AnxiousInTexas

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 15:23:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All.

This is my first post here even though I have been reading pretty much daily since 5/30 when my boyfriend and I discovered an adult bedbug in our apartment. I just have a few questions/concerns about the treatment we are receiving and am looking for a bit of advice/hope.

Backstory-

About a week and a half/two weeks prior to 5/30 my boyfriend and I were both waking up itchy, but with no marks or bites on our skin. We both assumed it was a reaction to the new laundry soap we were using and shrugged it off until saturday 5/30 when after waking up with a few bites and doing laundry we were putting the bedding back on to the bed and discovered a bed bug (it has been identified at this point as such by a professional) on our middle mattress (our setup was this- box spring, mattress, pilowtop mattress). My boyfriend threw the middle mattress that the bug was found on out and we immediately called the 24 hour/7 day maintenance number for the apartments we live in and left a message for the landlord about what we found. We did not hear anything back until Monday, 6/1. Our landlord is amazing, and I don't want anyone to think otherwise, I just think that there wasn't much he could have done about it over the weekend which is why we didn't hear anything until that monday. He let us know he'd called the PCO that the apartments uses and that the earliest he could come out to inspect/treat was friday 6/5. Our landlord told us to wash/dry/bag up all of our clothes and linens, which we did the next day and I only brought home the essentials which are being stored in bags inside of plastic totes on the dining room table. When stripping the bed for doing the laundry I found another bug on the dust ruffle. We threw the dust ruffle out because it couldn't withstand the high heat of the dyers. Over the course of the week I got bit a few times and my bf got bit as well. When friday (6/5) rolled around I stripped the bed prior to the PCO coming. Whilst doing so I found one more bug, in between the flat and fitted sheet.

The guy came, and kind of inspected the apartment. I had been reading up at that point on everything and it didn't seem like he was super thorough (no magnifying glass/flashlight) however he did recommend we throw the box spring out because it was old and dark and had too many places for them to hide plus it was directly on the ground (we have no bed frame) and touching the mattress that we'd thrown out that the bug was originally found on. He did not find any bugs during his "inspection" and found only a small maybe..inch long mark of fecal matter on the mattress. He then sprayed every room and sprayed the mattress down and the sofa etc down (i do not know what the spray he was using was called) and then afterwards puffed out something called delta dust all over. He said to be on the lookout for more bites and bugs and that often one treatment doesn't get rid of everything and sometimes they have to come back weekly.

So, the next two nights after he sprayed there were no sightings (believe me, we have been checking) and no bites. But monday (6/8) my boyfriend woke up with a bite on his shoulder, one on his wrist, and one on his hand. There have still not been any more sightings, though.

Today (6/9) the same guy came back because it was time for the once every 3 months spraying the apartment does. He asked about what had been going on and I told him no sightings, but a few bites, and he said he would go ahead and spray everything down again, which he did. He said it was normal to still be getting bit because on treatment doesn't always work. That was when I brought up to him that I had been reading about the subject and found out that the eggs take about two weeks to hatch and from what I gathered the sprays and stuffs weren't effective on them so most PCO come back every two weeks. He said the spray he uses kills the eggs. This has made me even more concerned.

I just want all this to be over and to have our lives back, but now I am worried we may be dealing with a PCO who isn't doing the best job/doesn't know his stuff because I have never heard of in all my reading a spray that kills the eggs. Since we rent an apartment we really have no say in what company they use. I guess instead of having peace of mind this whole PCO thing just has me more worried.

So I guess my questions are- does anyone know of a spray that kills eggs? has anyone had success with "weekly" treatments instead of every two weeks? do you guys think we're getting help..or not? :/

Thanks in advance for your replies. I'm sorry if this is long winded and rambly or hard to understand. I am just upset over the whole situation especially because we really have no idea where they came from in the first place since no one really comes over/we don't travel/haven't brought in any new furniture or anything/are homebodies/have lived here over a year with no problems.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 16:33:22
    #

Login to Send PM

He then sprayed every room and sprayed the mattress down and the sofa etc down (i do not know what the spray he was using was called) and then afterwards puffed out something called delta dust all over.
    He should tell you what he's using, give you a copy of the label. Delta dust isn't supposed to be applied all over. I might have misunderstood the phrase such as would mean after the liquid application he applied the powder. Was it more of a crack and crevice treatment with the dust?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. AnxiousInTexas

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 17:06:33
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 30 minutes ago  » 

He then sprayed every room and sprayed the mattress down and the sofa etc down (i do not know what the spray he was using was called) and then afterwards puffed out something called delta dust all over.
    He should tell you what he's using, give you a copy of the label. Delta dust isn't supposed to be applied all over. I might have misunderstood the phrase such as would mean after the liquid application he applied the powder. Was it more of a crack and crevice treatment with the dust?

He didn't give us a label or paper or anything- the only reason I know it was Delta Dust was because I asked him. I may have not stated it correctly, but after the liquid (spray) treatment he went around and puffed the dust out around the ceilings/door frames/etc (not sure about the baseboards as I was told to either leave or go outside until it all settled so I could only see what went on through the window). When it all settled and I came back inside it seemed as if there was a fine layer of dust over everything.

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 17:50:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear anxious,
    You have the right to know what pesticides are being applied in your home whether its an apartment or sfh.
    Of primary importance with bed bug work is that the work is done in a comprehensive and thorough fashion.
    As for any remaining BBs, a thorough inspection should detect locations which need attention.
    Good luck! Pjb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula