PCO says bugs are gone, still getting bitten

(4 posts)
  1. lkj

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 23 2013 15:02:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I had an infestation about four months ago after a stay at a hotel, and I got it treated by a PCO that my landlord paid for. I kept the bed encased and isolated, and I'm still being as careful as I can be with drying clothes and keeping them in bags. I called again about a month and a half ago because I was still getting a bite here and there, but the PCO said that they didn't find any activity. Three weeks ago, right when the weather started warming up, the bites suddenly started getting worse (5-10 a night), so I called again and the PCO came and treated again. I assumed they were going to do several treatments over the course of a month or so (as they did the first time), but I just found out from my landlord that while they did treat, they still claim there's no activity (even though I'm still finding spots on the sheets). Meanwhile, I got about 15 bites the last time I slept in my bed.

I know I'm not supposed to stay with other people, but at this point I've started to stay at my s.o.'s because I'm so uncomfortable and tired of getting bitten. His place still has no sign of bedbugs (I'm checking constantly) and I've never gotten bitten there. My landlord says she trusts the PCO and that they're better than everyone else. She's not offering any other help, and I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm ready to throw the bed (or at least the bed frame, which is wood with an upholstered headboard) out at this point since it doesn't seem like anything else is working.

Any ideas? I suppose it could be something besides bedbugs, but I'm inclined to believe that it is bedbugs since I had them so recently.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 23 2013 16:35:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Suspected bite reactions aren't evidence because you can't be sure bed bugs caused them. Did anyone visual confirm bed bugs in the first place?

Regardless, at this point you need to find visual evidence-- bed bugs, cast skins eggs or fecal stains.

These FAQs include information on bed bug monitors and other ways to verify whether you have bed bugs. There's also a FAQ to help you rule out fleas.

As for monitors, Bed bug beacon is an active monitor which might find a sample especially if you are sleeping somewhere else. BBalert Passive is an option which will work when people are present.

If you find visual evidence of bed bugs, be sure and preserve it. Take a photo for ID here, and don't let the PCO run off with the sample before an expert here has a look!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 23 2013 16:41:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear lkj,

If there's bites that are actually caused by bed bugs then there must be physical evidence of bed bugs present.

You need to inspect carefully and perhaps use a magnification device plus a decent LED type flshlight to enhance your detection abilities.

Headboards as you described can be difficult to inspect however, I suspect that area as well as your bed frame.

And, did they ever find live bed bugs, shed skins, eggs or fecal deposits in your apartment previously?

Hope this helps ! paul b.

4. lkj

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 23 2013 20:29:50
    #

Login to Send PM

They did find eggs previously in the apartment (the first time they treated it), so I know it was bedbugs that time around.

Thanks for the advice--I'll take the bed apart this weekend and check the frame carefully.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula