Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Pco saw shell by dark spot--kinda blew it off?

(46 posts)
  1. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 14:50:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, had a treaent today. The pco had to be talked into spraying. Then I had to ask him to check out the sofa. When he lifted it I showed him the area the last guy saw dark spots but thst huh told me it wasn't bb related.

There was a shell there... Flimsy, I went to get pick and it fell off. It looked a lot like the flimsy shell I saw on another part of the sofa in October.

But the pco didn't seem concerned. Said it could be anything making the dark spot and the shell. But I don't remember thst dark spot being there before. And it's right where I sit and right where my cat sits, and right where I was bitten on the neck last weekend.

Is he right? To blow it off, saying there were no live bugs? He didn't even look anywhere but there and the bed.

I'll sneak up n get a pic of that dark spot. I would love an expert opinion.

I said now I can't put my clothes away yet and his attitude was, you hardly have any here so go ahead.

I am exhausted and now a little scared that thst stain on my sheets really might have been blood from a splattered nymph. =\

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  2. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 14:50:44
    #

Login to Send PM

The shell was light tan?

3. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 14:58:53
    #

Login to Send PM

http://instagram.com/p/wep-xcuJZh/

The shell was right next to the dark speck.

4. NY Bug Man

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 17:39:29
    #

Login to Send PM

First off i am confused by your instagram link. When i click on your user name i see all your photos. There are bed bug related pictures and some photos that are not related. Are those other photos taken by you? I see a bed bug in one photo.

The second problem is that "The PCO had to be talked into spraying". The only reason i ever have to be talked into spraying is if there is a big problem and for some reason i couldn't treat, which i wouldn't. You seem to be saying that the exterminator doesn't believe there is a problem, but is spraying anyway. Thats a big no-no.

It seems like you need a professional and i am not sure this guy is a professional. You either have them or you don't. Did he say you currently have an active bed bug problem?

5. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 17:52:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Sigh

He waNt smart enough to know

6. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 18:35:27
    #

Login to Send PM

My life is over.

7. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 18:37:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Pco
    Before investigating
    Even
    He said in my head
    Then he SAW
    THE shells in my sofa
    Sprayed n RAN

FCK
    TERMINEX
    LOL

8. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 18:38:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Said ok to put clothes away
    "Only a few bugs" he said? Terminex did. Lol

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 19:22:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you're freaking yourself out a bit, which is understandable. Going back to the "splattered nymph," hasn't that already been noted as not bed bug related?

10. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 19:26:47
    #

Login to Send PM

No
    Not figured out at all
    And not on same par as fecsl n shell

11. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 19:27:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I gotta put my cat
    My best friend!
    To dleep they are
    Sucking the life
    Outra him

12. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 20:08:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't take this.

13. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 20:24:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Goodby

14. NY Bug Man

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 20:27:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Try to take a deep breath and realize, if it is bed bugs, its a solvable problem. It sounds like your not clear if you have bed bugs or not. Get a positive ID before treating. Keep us updated on the progress.

15. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 21:03:39
    #

Login to Send PM

If my pco can't Id--who can?

16. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 21:41:45
    #

Login to Send PM

It's bb.

I have seen 5 in my apartment, can somebody tell me why Terminex refuses to spray unless they see another live one//wait//intil I (not a professional) sees another one..?

17. Canuck

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 21:51:02
    #

Login to Send PM

As NY Bug Man, said take a deep breath. Step back and look at the big picture.
    1. If bed bugs were sucking the life out of your feline friend, there would be lots of evidence clearly evident.
    2. Even though bed bugs have been confirmed at your place of employment - does not mean - you have them in your residence.

It may be a good time to PM NoBugs and let her know your city for a possible referral or, another source, not referenced at this site before I believe, is IBBRA (International Bed Bug Resource Authority) ibbra.org .

Your comment about your kitty has me concerned - if your cat was bitten to that extent, the physical evidence would be very evident. Bed bugs, unlike fleas, have a tough time navigating among body hair (a flea is built vertically, while a bed bug is horizontal, wider than it is tall).

Breathe.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  18. Canuck

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 21:53:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I must have missed your posts about the five in your residence...

19. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 22:00:32
    #

Login to Send PM

One on my sofa, 4 on my coat.

20. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 22:02:21
    #

Login to Send PM

(In October).

Is it normal for a pco to accept $900 and then say they'll spray only once?

Terminex is unreal!

21. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 22:03:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Your posts have me concerned, if it's bed bugs and you can snap a photo we can ID them for you, you don't need to have someone come out to the house for that.
    Your posts really have me concerned for your wellbeing, please try and focus on something other than bugs for the moment if you can.

22. Canuck

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 22:10:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you point me to the post(s) on the sofa and coat sightings please? A sofa is usually a secondary infestation site, unless someone spends a great deal of time on the sofa, and a coat is way down the list of potential harbourages.

Bed bugs do not have a work ethic, but it may help to understand their behaviour to think of them as lazy. They like their home close to their host and they like that home to be very stable (not moving). They also like their home to be so small the sides of their abode touch them (claustrophobic they are not) and if it is dark - that is a plus.

23. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 22:41:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh good grief. The sofa was bsck in Ictober. I saw the bb on my winter coat when I wore it again. The bb had been on there since...May? I got them from wirk. The chair. The sofa? Either from coat or from blanket thst was in same closet as coat.

24. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 22:42:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I had out thst coat all over my apartment too :(,

25. buggyblue

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 22:51:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Robinsmom- I see you posted this a week ago and the pics never got looked at by a pro. Now that pros are online, maybe they can look at them for you. Would that help you feel better?

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/i-found-a-very-sticky-egg-stains-and-small-bugs-on-lampshade

I also see that you posted a pic from work that was indeed confirmed to be an adult male bb. So, at this point, you do have confirmed bb at work, but unconfirmed at home, right?

26. spicynat

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 22:52:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Robinsmom,

I'm sorry to hear that your problems with BBs continue. Don't give up hope. If your apartment is being treated it's gonna be ok soon. In the meantime don't forget to treat yourself good. Maybe a bubble bath surrounded with scented candles and some relaxing music such as versions of let her go, stay or home sung by Jasmine Thompson. She has a magical voice. If you don't know her you should try to listen to her amazing voice. There are also some free apps you can install on your phone with relaxing music. Or maybe go out have some drinks with your friends. All these things have helped me. I hope you can find a way to feel better about this.

Take care.

27. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 23:05:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Confirmed home and wirk. Adult bb on my sofa I showed pco.

28. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 23:10:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm at work and god S my witness I can feel something falling from ceiling hitting left arm. Right abive my arm is the juncture to the drop celing tile. :((

29. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 23:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is the discussion about the coat that was on another thread. So, Robinsmom saw 4 on the coat after she dried it. The post comes across as sleep deprivation to me, and I'm concerned.

Hi Theyareoutthere, that was me with the coat. I found the outlines to what I am 99.99% sure ate bb on the collar of a coat. You have to remember, the chair at my job was infested. A cloth chair. Either they got on me and thus my coat or I puty coat on the chair, transferring them directly. At home, that jacket, I threw everywhere...on chairs, my sofa, on the chair by my computer. My cat once sat on tvAt chair and sniffed. I'm pretty angry st myself thati did not investigate why. BB are they only bug my cat seems skeeved by. All others are fair game. This is something pet owners shoukd think about

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  30. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 23:23:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Robinsmom, may I suggest that you install a monitoring device and only check once a week? This is so upsetting to you, and it sounded like you were giving away your cat in another post and in this one...you feel like you might have to put your cat to sleep due to encasement issues as well as the cat being bitten (I may have misunderstood?)

I think I've also read that bedbugs will choose you over an animal with fur.

Please try to take your mind off this. You seem overwhelmed.

31. buggyblue

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 23:37:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Regarding your cat- I know how you feel, worrying about kitty. I have a kitty too, and no human kids... kitty IS my baby. Let me just remind you though that cats are resilient, moreso than we humans even. If you do have bb (have you had photos confirmed by pros here?), your cat isn't going to be as worse off as you. Like others have said, bb prefer humans, and rarely bother furry pets, it's too much trouble. You don't need to put your kitty to sleep. Also, you said that you're worried about your cat clawing up your mattress encasements. That's understandable, but you can simply close your bedroom door and not allow kitty in the bedroom. I know we like to snuggle with our kitties at night, but you have to do what you have to do for a little while. Cats are independent, I'm sure they don't mind sleeping alone at all, despite their guilt tripping us otherwise

You do seem like maybe you are in need of good sleep, and that you are very stressed. Do you have anyone you can sleep over with for a couple nights? You can take precautions to avoid transferring bb with you.

32. buggyblue

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 23:39:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, maybe this suggestion is extreme, but if it were me in your shoes, I'd start looking for new employment. I would not, could not tolerate working at a place that had a continual bb problem. I would buckle under the stress, and tbh, my health is just worth more than that. I hate waiting tables, but if I had to, that's what I'd do.

33. buggyblue

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 23:39:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, maybe this suggestion is extreme, but if it were me in your shoes, I'd start looking for new employment. I would not, could not tolerate working at a place that had a continual bb problem. I would buckle under the stress, and tbh, my health is just worth more than that. I hate waiting tables, but if I had to, that's what I'd do.

34. sleeplessinnj

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 23:47:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Try giving kitty flea treatment like Frontline plus or revalation... I'm not an expert ... it can make u n ur cat feel better for a lil bit. Get a new pco bbs r not just 1 treatment

35. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 23:59:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Sigh...

My bedroom doesn't have a door. Really.

But I'm not worried about his ripping the encasements. I think thst was someone else.
    Yes I am exhausted....work shift work n pco came during my dleep time.

Thank you. I have no choices right now about anything.

36. buggyblue

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 0:19:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok then. Well, like I said, cats are resilient. My little one came to me off the streets. He scraped by out in the wild before showing up on my doorstep- many cats do. Even if exposed to bb, cats probably get very very few bites. My cat is a huge stress reliever for me. Let your kitty give you some stress relief too! I'm so so sorry you're going through all this. Post pics here when you can, and look at getting a new PCO if finances allow it right now. If not, there are how-to's here to do self-treatment properly. And, how-to's on how to prevent bringing bb home from work in the future. It's so crappy your employer won't do the right thing, and that co-workers are nonchalant about it. It's sorry to say, but after a few months go by, and more employees find their own homes infested, they'll probably wake up and start caring a whole lot more!

Just know that this WILL come to an end. It may not feel like it now, but it will.

37. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 0:28:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I have David Cains monitor plus the bb beacon. Sheesh. I think I wasted my money. Did I?

38. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 7:40:42
    #

Login to Send PM

robinsmom - 10 hours ago  » 
    If my pco can't Id--who can?

If you post a photo of a bed bug here, someone can ID it.

Canuck commented above about the possibility that fleas are biting your cat (and it's possible they are causing the skin reactions you describe too. We have a FAQ with a do it yourself flea trap plan here.

Your posts have also worried me as they have others. It sounds like you're under a lot of stress and sleep deprived. You don't need to put a cat to sleep due to bed bugs.

You need to take care of your health-- mental and physical-- right now. If you're not sleeping, consider getting help for that. If you're anxious or depressed, please seek professional help. It can make a big difference to how you feel and this will only help you resolve any conditions in your home, whether from bed bugs or otherwise.

If you lack health insurance or money is an issue, there may be programs available to you to help you get such assistance, and a doctor or social worker can help you find them.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  39. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 8:13:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again,
    I'm going to post a few pics (or try to) of stuff and I think one of the two is the shell the pco pointed out.

http://instagram.com/p/wge7V9uJZm/
    http://instagram.com/p/wgfc9yuJaS/

This is a pic of, I believe, a black carpet beetle, it was on a windowsill. I have more bugs than anyone I know lol.

http://instagram.com/p/wggUzVOJbV/

I was bit within 60 seconds of entering my apt after work. I only picked up my sheets from where the pco threw them, to wash them, and I have 2 sets of bites a quarter inch apart on my neck, and a welt on my scalp as well. Grrr!

Thanks to all for tolerating me.

40. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 9:35:30
    #

Login to Send PM

The third item is definitely not bed bug related.

I can't actually see the first two, but I've alerted Lou to this post and hopefully he will weigh in.

41. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 12:09:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to post a few pics (or try to) of stuff and I think one of the two is the shell the pco pointed out.

No shell there. I don't know what the PCO is seeing. You should have Terminex refund your money.

This is a pic of, I believe, a black carpet beetle, it was on a windowsill. I have more bugs than anyone I know lol.

I don't know if I would call it BCB. It is the rear end of a beetle and a dorsal view, so only the wing covers (elytra) are visible.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  42. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 12:52:21
    #

Login to Send PM

It probably will be difficult to get a refund.

It sounds like you felt bits within 2-3 minutes of entering your home, is that correct? That would be usual for bedbugs, from what I've read on this site.

43. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 13:53:02
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like you felt bit[e]s within 2-3 minutes of entering your home, is that correct? That would be usual for bedbugs, from what I've read on this site.

The reactions that you are sensing have nothing to do with bites. Insects or mites do not live in the air and fall onto you. Particulate matter (that may include insect shed skins and dusts of dried insects and their feces (frass) in the air and fibers of different origins can elicit many "allergic" responses. Atopic dermatitis (eczema) has also been attributed to house dust mite allergy. The mites aren't feeding on you, but their presence and fecal packets are the allergens to which the person reacts. House mite allergy is a hypersensitive reaction to proteins in the excrement of dust mites.
    Dust allergy triggers include:
    Dust mites, Cockroaches, Mold, Pollen, Pet hair, fur or feathers, and maybe even other insects in the home. It is possible with the increase in bed bug infestation, these insects could fall into this category.

44. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 18:30:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou, but I wasn't bitten just walking around. I had picked up sheets left on the floor snd was bitten pretty much within a minute.

Thre was something left on my pillow when I woke up. I have a bb proof cover on it. I think it's waterproof. It was black, hard, sort of cylindrical in shape,and I could see a dark spot where it sort of stuck (but couldn't). It's the first time I've had this happen. Does this sound like bb fecal matter? Thank you. My pillow was absolutely clean when I went to sleep. Also, there's a stain on my mattress encasements that wasn't there last night. It's reddish brown, and it trails about half an inch. Thin, (I had thought it was a thread). Sigh.

45. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 18:50:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's a pic of the long thin stain. I don't have any cuts on me and it appears too brown to be fresh blood.
    http://instagram.com/p/whpE-_uJRZ/

Can anyone tell me if they think it's bb related?

46. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 20:24:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou, with the increase in the bed bug infestation, maybe the bites are...bites?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie