PCO Recs NYC?

(8 posts)
  1. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Apr 30 2008 14:05:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone,

I know that saying negative things about PCOs is not a safe thing to do in this forum, but positive things are fine (free advertising I guess). So which PCOs helped get rid of your problems well in NYC. Thanks for the recs.

2. monroe

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Apr 30 2008 18:02:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, that's quite a cynical statement and hardly fair.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Apr 30 2008 19:34:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchy,

It's okay to say positive OR negative things about PCOs in the forums, as long as they are true. The only time I have cautioned people bout doing so is when (a) they themselves admitted to using the wrong name of a company they were criticizing (grounds for libel!) or (b) they were accusing a company of wrongdoing and it was clearly a case for law enforcement and a possible lawsuit. (It is not smart to discuss such things in a forum.)

The only other rule related to your topic is that PCOS are NOT allowed to impersonate happy customers, or to advertise in the forums. Their participation is otherwise strongly encouraged. But a happy or unhappy customer can share their perceptions on the same companies. Just so I am clear, most PCOs who've participated are awesome people and we're glad they're here.

Telling the truth about your experiences as a customer, good or bad, is fine. Read the terms and conditions if you haven't: http://bedbugger.com/terms-conditions/

I run the site so my word is law on that. If anyone hassles you, or if you have any questions about the rules of the site, anytime, PM me, ok?

Anyway, if you want NYC PCO recs, I am sure you will get them. I think discussing them in public in a thread like this is the best option because what's said in PMs is not available for others to learn from (or correct).

Also, click NYC and PCOs in the tags above to see previous discussions of this issue, which may give you even more ideas.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed May 7 2008 11:18:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometimes the best company is only as good as the technician who may be having a bad day.
    Also there are so many variables in bed bug control that at times an easy solution can not be achieved so recommendations can be difficult just as some complaints are legitimate while some are unfounded.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed May 7 2008 21:26:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston,
    Thanks--that is very important for people to remember.
    Recommendations and complaints should be read in light of the fact that service can vary so widely within a single company (either differences between techs, or people having a bad day, as you say.)

6. persona-non-bugga

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 8 2008 12:29:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Are techs employees of PCO firms? Or are they hired under some sort of independent contractor relationship that shields the firm from liability for the techs' actions?

An employer has a responsibility to train and manage its employees according to reasonable professional standards. When an employee acts on the employer's behalf, the employer is liable for that employee's actions. The employer gets the glory and the blame.

If a company (in any industry not just pest control) is unable to manage the training and growth of its staff so that its customers receive consistently professional service, then that is the fault of the company.

If I go to the bank or a hotel and the clerk provides poor service, then the bank/hotel is still accountable. Imagine if a bank teller mishandles a transfer transaction, and the bank's response is: well, you got a bad teller. Yes, we hired and trained the guy. He operates as our agent and representative, and he's paid for it ... but he's not us. We're an awesome bank. He's just some teller.

I've heard mention of bad techs from "good" companies a lot on these boards. As pest control companies grow, I hope they understand the importance of employee management. Of course, it's good for the customer, but good human resources management is also a boon to a company's growth and profitability. I used to work as a management consultant, and over and over I noticed the best companies in an industry, the market leaders, those with the best growth rates -- they were excellent managers of their employees. Good employee management is a basic litmus test for a good company.

I hope there isn't a culture in the pest control industry where firm owners just throw up their hands and say, "well, he's a bad tech ... what can I do?" Someone, please reassure me this isn't the case.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 8 2008 23:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Persona,

You're absolutely right. Companies do need to be responsible. And when customers are having a bad experience, they need to follow up with the company.

My point is, I have heard about people having bad experiences with companies others loved. And there can be a lot of reasons as Winston states.

Another factor which has to be acknowledged is that sometimes people decide a company is bad because their bed bugs don't go away. And yet it can be the case, for example, that neighbors are infested and landlords are refusing to treat them. Now, I do think honest PCOs have to pressure the landlord to inspect and/or treat such neighbors. But sometimes they can be very reluctant.

Some PCOs might refuse to treat at all in those cases. If all the "good" PCOs do that, is the tenant helped? Or would they end up with a "bad" PCO? I am not sure what the best solution is in such cases except for the good PCO to keep pressuring them.

Just throwing some thoughts out there. I am in no way excusing bad service, but just acknowledging the complexities of this industry.

And yes, it has to be said: some businesses are growing very quickly at this time, and they aren't all equally cautious about preserving quality of service.

8. determined

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 11:47:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am writing to find out what would be the best solution. Had treatment for bed bugs on Friday in my pantry. The exterminator treated them with steam and with suspend, starifab and Bedlam. Since then, I killed about 3 very small ones and one adult in the pantry, and unfortunately, my roomates on the second floor found one this morning in their room.

I need to quickly seal off the pantry, and the bathroom above the pantry to prevent spreading (my roomate's room is next to theirs.)

My questions are:
    - are these the right chemicals to be using?
    - are there better ones? that i can use myself, or ask an exterminator to use specifically?
    - what PCO's do people recommend?
    - how much should PCO's cost? the quote i have gotten is $350 a room - but i own a 3 story house, and rent out rooms, so am very afraid of the cost going forward.

Thank you,
    Determined

D

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,417 posts in 48,817 topics over 151 months by 21,435 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson