(7 posts)
  1. bear1978

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2016 10:19:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I'm weary about the chemical treatment I am getting because I have been told by the PCO to not bag items like electronics, shoes, books etc. I have a very light infestation but from what I read on the forum, bed bugs can hide anywhere including electronics and shoes. Does anyone in the industry comment on how successful it would be to get rid of the bed bugs if I'm only bagging and heating clothes and linens?

I'm thinking of going against what my PCO is suggesting and getting a Packtite to treat items like shoes and books. If I do get a Packtite, when should I use it? After the final second treatment or before the second treatment?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. plsnobugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2016 11:07:17
    #

Login to Send PM

following. just for comparison when our PCO finally comes.

3. Loosingmymind

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2016 13:09:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Following! My PCO told me the same thing.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 28 2016 1:14:10
    #

Login to Send PM

plsnobugs - 1 day ago  » 
    following. just for comparison when our PCO finally comes.

You do not need to "follow" by posting in a thread. Go to the top of the thread and subscribe. You can subscribe with or without email notifications.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 28 2016 1:24:13
    #

Login to Send PM

bear1978 - 1 day ago  » 
    Hello,
    I'm weary about the chemical treatment I am getting because I have been told by the PCO to not bag items like electronics, shoes, books etc. I have a very light infestation but from what I read on the forum, bed bugs can hide anywhere including electronics and shoes. Does anyone in the industry comment on how successful it would be to get rid of the bed bugs if I'm only bagging and heating clothes and linens?
    I'm thinking of going against what my PCO is suggesting and getting a Packtite to treat items like shoes and books. If I do get a Packtite, when should I use it? After the final second treatment or before the second treatment?

Some PCOs want you to dry linens and clothing on hot and bag them. Some don't, or make that judgment on a case by case basis. Either way, I would do what they suggest.

Whether bed bugs will be in things like electronics and books depends on how many bed bugs you have, where they're harboring, how your home is arranged. One size doesn't fit all. Some PCOs do require the same prep from all, but there's nothing wrong with those who are more individualized in their recommendations.

Bed bugs which are in books and other items should come out to feed, cross poison and die, so if it is not a massive infestation, leaving things be is not a terrible plan.

Can you also Packtite things? Sure, but if you're just treating things and putting them back, I don't imagine it matters too much when you do it. If there are bed bugs in the items, you will kill them, so in that sense, sooner is better. If you're treating items and sealing them, then ask the PCO to make sure the resulting bags of additional stuff won't interefere with their subsequent treatment.

A Packtite may also help with daily life during treatment, for example, treating items you want to take somewhere.

Some PCOs ask you to bag everything and/or bag and treat everything. Note that "bag everything" without treating it is problematic. (Sometimes PCOs want this done to give them space to work, but you'd need to ask when you will release items-- it should not be once treatment is done, unless items will be treated.) This FAQ explains what you should ask if that's the direction you're given.

6. bear1978

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 28 2016 14:32:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your response. my plan was to Packtite and seal the items until the treatment is over. Can you clarify how the new Packtite treated bags could interfere with the PCO treatment? Is it a space thing?

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 29 2016 1:41:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes-- my thought was to ask and make sure it won't be in their way, assuming you have nowhere else to put it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus