Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

PCO Questions...

(6 posts)
  1. zelchbug

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 6 2012 23:39:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I am considering having a PCO come in and take a look at our home. However, I have read quite a few stories about people spending their hard-earned only to have them find nothing, yet they keep getting bitten and in some cases, have found fecal spots. Not quite sure what to do, normally I wouldn't be overly concerned, but this is not my home and feel responsible for bringing these bugs in here. If it were my own home, I might be a bit more patient but I'm assuming the longer I wait, the more they will spread (if they are indeed here) I've considered carpet beetles but I have yet to see one and since they don't hide as well as bed bugs, it seems more like reaching.

For those of you who didn't read my initial post, I have dealt with bed bugs before and am aware of what bites look like. These are very similar to the bites I've had in the past, the pattern is what concerns me as it would be seemingly rare to have these linear bites (3 or 4) and have it be something other than bed bugs. I have not been outdoors much and certainly would not have been bitten by another insect on my back 4 different times. I don't seem to react much (at this point) in terms of itching and the bites I had a few days ago are almost invisible now.

So, if I have a PCO come out, how likley are they to find an infestation if there is one present? I'm going to use Plunkkets in Minnesota. I know they use dogs and I have heard mixed reviews about the reliability of these animals. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love dogs but I have never heard of a bug sniffing dog, sounds kind of silly. Seems like a false positive could be very likely as well.

I have searched my entire room with a flashlight, and have yet to find hard evidence. Not sure if pulling up the carpet would be worth it. I am in the basement so we have a few ants around, my heart skips a beat every time I see something crawling, but so far, the only bugs I've seen are innocuous. Heck, I'm starting to like these black ants, too bad they don't eat bed bugs!

2. NotAgainx3

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 0:51:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Please let me know how Plunket's goes. I have an inspection with them scheduled. Thinking of doing the K9 and Heat Treatment they offer depending on the quote. We are desperate. We live in North Central MN.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 13:12:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Skin reactions are not in themselves definitive evidence of bed bugs. You need visual evidence (bed bugs, cast skins, fecal stains, eggs).

If people have an early stage bed bug problem, which has existed for a short time, it can be harder to find evidence. In these cases, a visual inspection may come up short. However, bed bugs poop every time they feed so it should not be too long before someone experienced can find fecal traces.

If you think you have bed bugs and cannot confirm with visual signs, bed bug monitors might help (see FAQs linked from the Useful Stuff page.

If you have a skin reaction which has been going on for a long time, and no visual signs can be found at home (even by someone experienced), then you have to explore the possibility of other causes. If it is bed bugs, perhaps they're not biting at home, but elsewhere.

K9s can work but they are not all trained or handled equal well by their humans. If you hire a dog team, make sure you choose one where the handler visually verifies all alerts by searching for evidence. Without visual evidence, a dog alert is not definitive evidence of bed bugs. See our FAQ on dogs.

You may also find some feedback on Plunkett's or other local PCO firms via the tags at the top of this thread.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. takecareofit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 16:12:44
    #

Login to Send PM

question:

If you have an early stage infestation, with no fecal stains, shed skins, eggs etc, just luck that 1 adult and 1 nymph were found, and then you decide to fumigate the house, how could a dog and handler confirm with a visual verification?

I ask this b/c I will need to decide between using ISOTECH here in the LA area, that says they bring their dog out after fumigation, versus using another fumigation company, that has a dog but it is not part of their post fumigation work- at least that I know of.

Thank you

5. takecareofit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 16:15:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Are visuals always possible?

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 16:17:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I know Mike at Isotech and can vouch for his professionalism. You will be in good hands with them.

paul b.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,659 posts in 50,009 topics over 154 months by 21,868 of 22,349 members. Latest: fightingback, Jenloaa, pleasestop