PCO question

(7 posts)
  1. UhOhBunny

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Nov 5 2013 18:22:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read many of the articles on this forum. I live in an apt building and one of the things I remember reading was to not use foggers b/c they will make the BB's run to other apt's.
    I spoke to the buildings PCO today and my BB specimen was positively identified (yuck). We scheduled treatment for next week to give me time to declutter and bag my clothes, etc.

My question:
    When talking to the PCO, he indicated he was going to spray baseboards, apply pesticide etc. He also said he was going to use a fogger. I asked if that would make them spread to other apts because I didn't want to do that. He said it wouldn't and would kill them on contact.
    Do PCO's have more effective foggers than can be bought by unlicensed people? I was worried about that answer based on the info in these forums... it made me think that perhaps he hasn't treated for BB's very often.

Also... can someone give me a ballpark price for a one bedreoom apt? I live in NJ right by NYC. His quote was $1100. If that's what it is, that's what it is. But I read another post that indicated another user paid around $500ish. Big discrepancy. I'm not looking to pay what's the norm... I'm not willing to skimp to get rid of the freeloaders, but I don't want to get hosed either.
    ~Shari

2. scaredandscarred

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Nov 5 2013 21:47:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in Toronto and $1100 sounds high for a 1 bedroom. That's what is charged here for heat treatments. I live in a 3 bedroom apartment and they charge $350-$500 for 2 sprays.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 6 2013 0:37:31
    #

Login to Send PM

David Cain has, I believe, expressed concerns about aerosol foggers generally, so this probably comes under that.

If you're in NJ, near NYC, you have access to a lot of well-known, reputable companies. If you haven't yet, I'd call a few more, ask about methods and get quotes.

Cheapest or most expensive --neither is an indicator of skill or knowledge where bed bugs are concerned, and you want someone experienced and knowledgeable. Prices do vary.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 6 2013 0:38:29
    #

Login to Send PM

This may help also:

Posts about NJ PCOs

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 6 2013 8:29:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Shari (wow, a actual name),

There may be an issue with "industry jargon" which could lead to misinterpretation.

Some comments for your review and consideration:

> You are correct ! Aerosol foggers are to be avoided for bed bug control. This is so because the aerosol fog falls like rain within the treated area and is only applied to those exposed surfaces where it comes to rest. As such, the hidden bed bug harborage areas do not receive adequate application to deliver/result in a lethal effect. And, even if the insecticide within the can is able to kill bed bugs, it is clear that these insecticides are not delivered or applied as needed for this pest. Additionally, such foggers apply these insecticides indiscriminately to many surfaces within your home which is not a good thing.

> However, pros may use ULV generating application equipment such as Actisol type ULV injection units. These units turn liquid into ULV which is a precise range of particle size measured in microns. Such particles or droplets are able to float and be delivered deeply within cracks, crevices and void areas resulting in a thorough application to target areas. We use such equipment for various pests including bed bugs, cockroaches and others. Some pros may refer to this treatment as a ULV, Fog or other hence, the possible confusion/misinterpretation.

> Pro Products. Generally speaking, the retail market mirrors many of the pro products. Currently there are no superior type "total release foggers" available only to the pros that target bed bugs and no competent pros that I know of are using such foggers for bed bugs.

> You should to ask more specific questions prior to having a pro in your home applying pesticides. Ask what, when, how, where and what the warranty, etc. Refer to the section on "how to hire the right pro for you" in my Over 201 Things to Know About Bed Bugs article. And do not hire a pro that provides no warranty or is not willing to stand behind their own work. Additionally, NBs is correct when she posted that there are many competent and reliable pros working in your area.

> As far as cost for BB work, it may vary from pro to pro. However, in your area for a one bedroom I'd expect from about $500 and up from a decent pro for bed bug work.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

6. UhOhBunny

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 6 2013 9:08:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I just re-read my post and it has a big typo at the end... I AM willing to pay the norm but I don't want to get hosed. Sorry...

Thanks to all who responded. I will be asking more questions today (thanks Paul! Gonna read that article today...) and try and get some more companies down for an estimate and assessment. I went over to the NJ PCO section and got some company names (thx nobugs!). I no longer have the actual bug specimens so I hope that's not a factor. The guys took them yesterday. The one young guy was amazed by my bugs (first time seeing them perhaps?) and pointed out how they were even trying to lay eggs in the little pieces of tissue in the ziplock. Um... double yuck. The more seasoned guy seemed to know his stuff and walked around the apt with me. He mentioned Bedlam at one point which I also recognized from the site articles.

The PCO yesterday mentioned two treatments with a 90 day guarantee. I guess I'll see what others have to say as well.

Thanks again... I'll let you know what happens.
    ~Shari
    (real name) lol

7. UhOhBunny

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 9 2013 13:02:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:
    So I have now gotten estimates from three companies, all who seem to know their stuff BUT who all have different techniques and opinions about these little.. er... buggers.

Company 1: Using different techniques including steam, chemicals. They will open all outlets and dust with a DEarth type product. No guarantee b/c it's an apt building. They suggest one follow up treatment with more available should they find evidence that they are still there.

Company 2: Primarily will use steam along baseboards/crevices and then apply chemicals. They give a 60 day guarantee post 3rd treatment.

Company 3: Primarily use chemicals along baseboards and crevices with steam for bedding and sofas. They offer a 30 day warranty after 3 treatments.

I had one company tell me they thought a thermal treatment would send them into other apts and one company tell me that they would not scatter b/c BB's like heat and by the time they realized it was getting too hot, it would be too late. Just based on the fact that there are differing opinions I'm not going to take the chance of infecting my neighbors.

The steaming guy said they wouldn't run to another apt because as the heat rose, they would just want to get out of the wall into cooler air - and so would run down into my apt and into his vacuum cleaner.

Here's the thing... I am looking for the best method to eradicate them in my apt without pushing them to another apt. Are there any experts out there who can weigh in?
    I feel like they're all valid methods but not infecting other apts/people is really important to me and I'm just nervous about choosing one over the other.
    Thanks!
    ~Shari

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus