PCO best practices

(5 posts)
  1. sickofthis2

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 7:32:27
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been 2 1/2 months. My PCO is Orkin and it's debateable if my problem is better or worse. Initially, they were only in my son's bedroom. As of a couple of days ago, I think they're in the living room, too. Probably only a few, but this is not an ABC grading system. It's a pass, fail.

As time goes on, and I'm forced to become more and more bedbug savvy, there are a few facts that I am unable to mesh.
    1. They are unable to kill eggs, only bugs.
    2. Eggs can take up to 2 weeks to hatch.
    3. They lay eggs approximately constantly. LOL

So.... Orkin had me nearly move out of my house. Everything is in bags. The tech calls me the plastic bag queen. Initially they treated my entire house. After the initial treatment, they only have been treating the son's bedrooom. If they were in the rest of the house to begin with, and they likely laid eggs whereever they were, how could a second treatment only be required in one room. See the question. Their logic is failing me here. He'll be back on Friday and probably treat the living room again. But we're behind the curve there and we shouldn't be. He says there is so much "product" in the son's room, he really can't treat in there any more with spray. We could rip up the carpet and put a powder under it. This seems to be a recipe for endless defeat like chasing a rabbit. Why aren't we doing the entire house, repeatedly, AT THE SAME TIME. After the first whole house treatment, there appeared to be reason for optimism. Now, it's just wackamaw.

We wonder why they're becoming resistent to pesticides? This is like taking half the bottle of antibiotics.

By the way, this has been a life changing experience. Don't know if I'll ever let visitors in again. Don't know if I'll ever go anywhere again.

Just to be helpful if anybody having their first encounter and is new to the procedures -- get clear plastic bags or you'll never be able to find your stuff. As the seasons are changing and I'm forced to find different clothes (which I couldn't find in those black garbage bags), I'm now forced to transfer everything out of the black bags and into clear. Home Depot is the easy place to get clear bags. Also, Ziploc big bags are fantastic. Turns out you can live out of them like a suitcase. Isn't that just special.

2. lsdrg706

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 8:57:02
    #

Login to Send PM

If it's any consolation, I know how you feel. I just had my second treatment with Orkin on Sautrday, and found 2 more live bugs last night in the same room, and all the beds are now encased in covers, so I feel they must not have been living in it, but near it. Yet we can't figure out where they are.

I feel the same way, there are some things that will never be quite the same for me. Most of our stuff is in bags too. And while the anxiety might lessen some, I can't see myself ever completely putting everything back. I will probably keep most of it in the bags.

I will definitely keep the tip in mind to get clear bags, as right now they are in black ones, and I've had to tear into them a few times and have to rebag about 6 instead of just one until I found the one I needed.

I wish I could offer encouragement, but I am feeling pretty bad at the moment. I thought I could at least offer support in letting you know you weren't alone in how you feel.

3. sickofthis2

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 9:59:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, Thanks. It's nice of you to try to console me when you have all the same issues. Isn't it sad when we put clear bags in the category of a modern convenience.

Here's an idea. Everybody get prepared to laugh. But I'm serious. I've become jealous of my dog each month when I put on the flea treatment. The flea bites, it dies. Guess you have to be in our spot to see the possibilities here.

My question: I keep trying to solve this with my intellect, which is hopefully better than the bedbug's. The more I read, the more confused I get. I read stories of serious infestations. If each one eats every 7-10 days, wouldn't there be a food shortage? The reason I ask is because I keep restarting my countdown to the all clear clock. The eggs hatch in 14 days. The bug eats every 10 days. Does that mean that 24 days is a magic day? I realize that the bug can go a year and a half. But it wouldn't choose to do that. Right?

Next question: I keep following links, but has anybody found/had experience with some sort of a monitor that really really works. Hopefully some sort of a plug in thing that I could buy. (Fire alarm style) I want bells or whistles or a dead bug in the cup. Am I just dreaming?

4. sickofthis2

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 10:21:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Wrong thread!?! Maybe. I'm trying to get advice about the wisdom of treating the entire house only once and one room multiple times. Now I have them in the living room and the PCO is saying they can't treat the bedroom any more. what's to keep them from migrating from the living room back to the bedroom where they are now "safe".

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 10:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Ashamed may have edited a post with Wrong Thread (you can't just delete).

Maybe there are residuals in the bedroom? I'm not a PCO.

Your situation sounds horrible. So sorry.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123