Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Passive monitors clean, mystery bites

(9 posts)
  1. blackavar

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jun 18 2019 9:38:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I am back after 10 years! Had a previous experience with an early infestation almost 10 years ago, successfully DIYed it. Been praying for no more bugs since. Invested in David's passive monitors and a mattress encasement after. Still using them.
    I now have a baby and twin toddlers (don't ask me why they all sleep in our bed-- I am a failure at sleep training). Past week, I and the kids have been getting insect bites (for sure), itchy, pimple-like. They appear when we wake up in the morning. Just a couple of new ones every morning, 2-3 on me and my toddler son, sometimes 1 on the baby and my toddler daughter. My husband, none, he has never reacted to bb bites. I keep track of which are new because every night, I encircle each old bite with a ballpoint pen (very useful method!)

Passive monitors are clean, I have 2 on the bed, head and feet ends. The twins' beds (2 beds), pushed up against the main bed on either side, don't have monitors. Granted, my monitors are around six years old.
    My bites are different from the confirmed bed bug bites of 10 years ago. Those were much itchier, and no matter how much I scratched them, the skin never broke on the pimply head. Ya know? These ones, the skin on the pimple head easily breaks and then scabs. It's not like my previous bb bites at all. But then, what is biting us? Do bites change this much?
    I have looked but not found a bug or any signs.

2. blackavar

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jun 18 2019 20:20:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope David drops by and has the time to answer my question: at this point, should I remove the 6-year-old passive monitors and immediately install new ones? How many? It is one big room with a queen sized bed and two single beds on each side for the kids.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jun 18 2019 20:59:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It’s 3am here.

I am sure you can appreciate I will answer when I have time and am not on a small screen.

David

4. blackavar

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jun 18 2019 21:11:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh sorry, that was not meant to be disrespectful or entitled in any way. Sorry if it came off as that. I was just updating my post with an actual question because the original didn't have one. I have long been appreciative of your efforts to educate and help people out here.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Jun 19 2019 5:54:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

6 years is a little outside of what I would recommend.

While nothing jumps out as suspicious I would refresh your monitors and check again in 14 days.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. blackavar

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Jun 19 2019 8:48:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the answer, David. I've a mind to leave the old clean ones on and stick up new ones. But probably no? Will two new ones be enough for the room? Current placement is between the mattress and the bedframe, one at head, other at foot end. I don't have a box spring. Is this right or do I stick behind the headboard (my bed has kind of a high headboard). Thanks so much.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Jun 19 2019 14:34:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

One per person occupied bed is enough. It concentrates any activity.

David

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Jun 19 2019 14:34:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

One per person occupied bed is enough. It concentrates any activity.

David

9. blackavar

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Jun 22 2019 11:31:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: no activity on passive monitors, the old BB Alert ones. Am still waiting for the new ones to arrive. (I live in Asia so it will take a while).

Bites have tapered off on me and the kids, one or two bites a night, sometimes none. None of them particular itchy. No signs on the bed, no fecal stains anywhere. I am not going to treat. I am currently convinced I don't have them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,275 posts in 50,155 topics over 155 months by 21,924 of 22,420 members. Latest: duracell, Parawail, Quiltergirl