Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Passive Monitor Question

(11 posts)
  1. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 1 2019 23:03:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Two years ago I ordered passive monitors. My PCO discouraged my using them. He said that he'd been in apartments with large infestations, and that there were no signs in the passive monitors. I put them away in my basement and have not even opened the box. Are those still usable? Do they have a shelf life? Do I need to order new passive monitors or can I use these?.

Here's the thing. My PCO has been wonderful. He got rid of them. We have been totally clear for more than 18 months. I trust him. I also follow his instructions, which are to keep the encasements on our beds (though the one on my box spring has so many holes, I don't think it's useful), as well as Lights Out Monitors on the feet of my bed. I want him to continue to help me if there is an issue. He also has come every six months to inspect, as I'm afraid I won't see things and my husband isn't a big help, and he hardly charges. HE has always told me if he ever thought he was in over his head, he'd recommend someone else. But he has done the job, with kindness and patience.

So, can I use the packtite passive monitors while I keep the encasements and lights out monitors on the beds? Will they still be effective? I think I've finally convinced my husband to use them (he hasn't wanted to go against the PCO's recommendation, but this latest rash on my son has him worried). I just want to make sure they'll be effective.

Thank you.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 8:04:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The shelf life in field is about 18 months but if its still sealed in the package and is the PackTite Passive label as opposed to the older style it should be good for the next 12 months so long as the glue has not been exposed.

It is a little more complex than a simple shelf life as we also have on-going tweaks and adjustments to the design itself. To someone without OCD the product appears to be the same since launch but there has been a series of near yearly adaptations and tweaks to keep things as optimal as we can. I would not want you to be that far back in the development curve.

I personally do not advocate isolating beds at the same time as Passive Monitoring as the two approaches are kind of counter intuitive, one works with natural behaviour and the other seeks to trap and prevent access. I also understand how the perception is that you want the avoidance of bites above all but for my field data that results in a longer infestation duration and why I don't isolate.

I cant comment on your PCO's experience other than to say when the academics decided they wanted a chapter on early detection for bed bugs in hotels there was only one candidate who could prove lower guest complaints because the staff were detecting before the guests were aware. The probability of someone working so well in light cases not detecting in heavy has my friend Occam twitching up a storm.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 8:46:49
    #

Login to Send PM

It does David. They are Packtite monitors, and I never even opened the box. Your logic on isolation makes perfect sense to me. I don't want to drive them elsewhere. If I am going to have bedbugs, then I actually want them in my bed, not scattering throughout my home.

It does sound like I should order a new set of Packtite passive monitors.

However, in an effort to keep the peace with my husband, and respect the PCO who is actually here and helping me (and eliminated our issue), can I do both at the same time or is it completely ineffective. For what it's worth, I don't think our encasements are doing much at this point because they've ripped and I've stopped taping them. I am past the point of worrying that some living bug is lingering in there and escaping. It has just been too long.

Thanks again for the advice. Also, when I am brave enough to travel again, any chance there's a list somewhere of hotels that use your system? I'd feel much safer in one of those.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 9:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would say its OK to use the ones you have.

Yes you can isolate and still use Passive Monitors but they are not nearly as effective because of the reasons you appreciate. Thankfully once isolation is removed after 3 weeks its often as if it were never there. However, when you do the two together you need to add an additional 7 days to the all clear dates.

All I can really say is that if I beleived in the concept you would already be able to buy my zero maintenace interceptors already. A few years back I happened to have lunch with a fellow travellor at Heathrow and while discussing what we both did we realised there was a potential collaboration but sadly one I could not ultimately support.

I would love to have a list I could publish but they 100% prefer to keep quiet, however if anyone is travelling to the UK we have good coverage in London and a small regional network. Also if you want to ski in the Alps. It would be great if they were more open and I am still working on some better logic and resources on how to check with hotels before you book but that will come soon.

David

5. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 9:28:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. I know that nothing is zero maintenance. I have moved from checking my bed and interceptors for signs of BBs daily, to weekly or even every other week when I'm busy. But I do check and inspect a lot. This is why this newest outbreak of bite like lesions has me in a tizzy. With the holidays, I probably wasn't as vigilant as usual and that has come back to bite me, quite literally.

However, because we had an all clear just a few weeks ago, and I'm finding no signs, I am also able to logically say these bumps are probably from something else.

Sadly, I am impatient when it comes to BB and my mind goes into overdrive trying to find the answer right now. I do think the passive monitors will give me some peace of mind. Especially on my living room furniture which is not at all isolated and I find very difficult to check. Hope that makes some sense (even if not completely sound logic).

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 9:54:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

How about an annual run a vacuum around rather than bi-weekly talc sessions. You might be able to step it back to bi-annual but either way no need to apply or re-apply talc.

If they are the bumps in the other thread I think you can conclude that already.

Yes it does make sense "going into overdrive" I have written extensively about that exact issue and the need to be mindful of your default setting when it comes to bed bugs.

David

7. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 10:11:53
    #

Login to Send PM

David, thank you so much. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your willingness to engage me when I am at my worst. Even my husband is at a loss and gets annoyed, when I think all I need is someone to help me talk it through logically. The rash has him a bit freaked out as well, however.

By annual vacuum, do you mean once per year? I vacuum often as I have cats and a dog. It is a survival thing. Where we have furniture on rugs, I move furniture for a vacuum monthly. I have hardwood in the bedrooms under the beds, and I use a Swiffer to clean under the bed (do you have those in the UK? It is like a mop with a microfiber sheet that attracts the dust). Everything sticks and I can inspect what I pull out. It actually works quite well, I think. I do vacuum occasionally in there, but I find the swiffer does a good job.

Yes, it's the bumps in the other thread. So I can conclude that I am worrying too much that they are bites, and they are likely something else? Every time I convince myself of that, I feel that I am in denial. Oddly, the ones on my wrist are already fading away. It is strangely reminiscent of what I think might have been bites that were the first sign of BBs when we did have them. But back then, there were other signs. I just had no idea to even look for those signs at the time. I was woefully unaware. It was only after discovering the actual bed bugs, and with questions from my PCO, that I went back and put all the little signs together, including those bites.

Anyway, I fear I've taken up way too much of your time. I'm about to inspect my own bed (at my husband's request, ironically), and I fear I'll find something that will make me panic again. But I will try to keep a calm head. Thank you again.

p.s. London is on our wish list. If we decide to make that trip, I will seek your advice, completely understanding the confidentiality your clients likely demand of you. But perhaps you can recommend some attractions.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 11:00:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I will always try to engage so long as there is positive progress.

I specifically mean a design of interceptor that does not need any maintenance other than vacuum cleaning once a year, no application or re-application of talc. I am sure you can appreciate that if I told my hotel clients that they needed to apply talk 26 times a year they would laugh me out of the building as the coast for 2,000+ bed its labour intensive to say the least.

The bumps are not in a typical pattern or appearance that makes me think bed bugs, I would lean more toward a physical source such as scratch.

London visitors are always welcome to catch up, we get occasional visitors to the bed bug museum (viewing by appointment) and I am always happy to try and meet people for a hello although I don't often drink and gave up coffee last year.

David

9. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 11:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Aah... I see on the vacuum. I was a bit slow on the uptake, I'll blame it on lack of sleep.

Thank you again for everything. It's hard to tell this week, but I am getting better. And I often think of weighing in on other threads to help others calm down, think logically, see the rabbit hole more clearly. However, I realize how hypocritical that would be as I'm posting rash and booger pictures in another thread.

But I will get there. I always do. You'd be amazed how highly functioning I can be in the rest of my life.

10. Suzanne

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 11:54:41
    #

Login to Send PM

My passive monitors bring me peace of mind. I’ve used them on couches
    and beds.

David one fell off the back of the bed and the dog chewed it up. I know it’s a simple
    Plastic/cardboard design but I just want to make sure there’s nothing toxic in there. We have a sleep number bed and the box spring is plastic. Could I slide the passive monitor between the box spring and mattress leaving one long side out?

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 15:48:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

There is no greater risk to the dog than chewing any plastic or cardboard. Yes they will emery all fall off but that’s a sign they need replacing.

Yes that install site should be fine, just leave the long edge aligned at the head end of the bed.

Pleased to hear it helps manage your concerns.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,454 posts in 47,684 topics over 147 months by 21,014 of 21,340 members. Latest: neveragainCDMX, orangeoil143, Whatsnextmama