Passive Monitor Question

(18 posts)
  1. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 10:35:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know how long it should take for evidence to appear on a BB Alert passive monitor? My son is getting bites and have had his bed encased and monitor placed on head end of bed boxspring and no evidence yet. I'm hoping this is a good sign. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 11:00:47
    #

Login to Send PM

If I remember correctly, bed bugs can relocate to monitor within 1-2 days, with 10-14 days as an outside figure meaning if monitors show no signs of bed bugs within 10-14 days you are clear. At least that's the principle of how these things work.

If you have seen no evidence elsewhere -- fecal stains, cast skins, specimens -- and all your son has are bites, then I would think after 10-14 days of passive monitoring you should start looking for causes other than bed bugs for your son's bites.

BTW the inventor, David Cain, posts here under the name bed-bugscouk. You might want to confirm with him and also make sure your positioning the monitors correctly although it sounds like you're doing everything right.

Richard

3. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 11:27:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your reply Richard. I believe I have the monitor placed correctly as indicated in the manual, but your suggestion about consulting Mr. Cain is a good idea and I will do that.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 13:49:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    Missed this post but replied to the PM. Yes you had it installed in the correct location but passives are optimised to work without any forms of bed isolation. I have suggested you remove them and BB's should be confirmable within 12 - 72 hours using the passive monitor if they are present.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 13:52:40
    #

Login to Send PM

David - Thank you so much for your quick response. Would encasements be considered isolation or is it OK to leave them on? I sent you a PM on this as well.

6. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 14:55:31
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Have a similar question as I'm using your passive monitor as an early warning system. I sleep with an encased futon mattress on a carpeted floor, with your monitor placed near my head between the floor and mattress, slightly sticking out. Will this affect the performance of the monitor? I currently don't have bed bugs but since there's maybe a 5% chance I had them prior to encasing the mattress, I'm somewhat reluctant to remove the encasement with the small chance that I may have trapped bed bugs inside.

Richard

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 15:14:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

All the tests we have done in the UK are on non encased mattresses but there is nothing to say that encasement would affect the function of the passives. We have however found that in pro-active situations you dont need an encasement because the bedbugs will usually colonise the passive and even in the light cases where have have treated non chemically through cleaning and passive monitor replacement an encasement is not necessasry.

We train hotels on early detection with the passives and replacement in conjunction with cleaning as their first line defense when treating. Thus they avoid the costs of an encsement and given that I have never felt the need to use one when treating it also supports that ethos.

Now in Richard's case its different. I think you are being over generous with the 5% since in my personal (although extensive experience) bedbugs only colonise the mattress area in metal frame beds (one of the reasons why I object to them as a design) so it is actually much less than a 5% chance I would say its closer to 1%. Now if you remove your encasement and the bites start but no signs on the monitor we can be more certain that you reaction was due to something like dust mites.

Encasements elvolved from the dust mite and allergies industries who, dare I say it out loud saw a whopping opportunity in bedbugs since sales had fallen flat following the launch of tempura style mattresses. Sadly they found a few willing cohorts in the pest mangement profession who liked the thought of "maintaining profit" through add on sales such as encasements. Some even went as far as to double dip and got paid to endorse the products as well.

However when judgement day comes I know of few who will be able to stand with their heads held high and say with honour that we had the morale fibre to resist that "maintaining profit" and preferred to walk the much harder path of doing a quality job the first time around instead.

I have nothing against recommending encasements when someone has a dust mite allergy issue as after all that is what they were designed for.

So Richard if you choose to remove it please do so remembering that if bites start again it does not confirm bedbugs it may still be dust mites. The best idea may be to keep hold of your beacon, run it inside the encasement for 5 days (it will produce CO2 for 5 days - you have my word on that) and remove it if all is clear.

Long post but I wanted to make sure it was as clear as I could be with all the variables covered.

David

8. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 15:28:04
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Actually, I bought the encasement prior to the whole bed bug scare for dust mites, so probably will leave it on for now until I can air it out in the summer (next summer) sun.

That said, interesting experiment (I like experiments!) you propose with the Beacon. Are you suggesting running the Beacon while I sleep on the mattress, or when I'm away or sleeping in another room?

The encasement is fairly loose so there should be enough room with the mattress laid out, however I'd be concerned of knocking the Beacon bottle over during my sleep, although maybe if I placed it at the foot end it might be OK. Also, I read that the Beacon doesn't as work well when a competing food source (me) is in the same room, but since they would in theory be encased I guess it's a different story.

Richard

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 15:52:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

Inside the enasement is effectively an enclosed and seperate envrionment so there would be no competition issue.

David

10. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 15:31:11
    #

Login to Send PM

David - what are your thoughts on the BB Alert Active Monitor? I was thinking about trying one in my car and then if all clear installing a passive.

I was recently cleared by a K9, but had to travel the very next day and the person in the room next to me had bites in the morning. I did inspect my headboard and mattress seems, but could not lift up the mattresses myself to check the box springs and the pictures above bed would not come off wall to check behind. The hotel management checked both rooms and didn't find anything, but my inspection was more thorough than theirs. They told us that her bites were probably a reaction to their laundry detergent.

I left all my luggage and shoes in the bathtub, but did not bag them until I left the hotel before putting them in my car. There were items in my car that were not in the room that I did not bag and I just want to be sure that I did not transfer anything.

I know I'm probably being overly paranoid, but just want to be proactive. Your input would be appreciated. Thank you.

11. miserableone

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 15:39:08
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    Is your BB Alert monitor the one thats advertised on the side of the page here? Im interested in getting one but dont know where to get it. Are you even allowed to tell me lol? I know there isnt supposed to be any PCO advertising here.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 15:53:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

LOL, its complex but yes.

The ones on the side of the site are the same ones that I developed. Being a small company I had to pass the project to someone much bigger to enable people to get access to them faster.

I dont think it counts as promotion when you ask such a direct question. I do however like to think that I do always think of the best tool and option before posting an opinion and reguarly recommend good products that I have no financial interest in.

David

13. miserableone

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 16:01:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I value your advice greatly so I appreciate the quick response and your inventive mind. We all need as much help as we can get here. Its refreshing to talk to honest people. Do you mind if I ask what the difference is between the BB Alert and the one with the co2 that I see all over now?

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 16:15:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I wrote a comparison of the different groups here:

http://www.bedbugbeware.com/monitorstrapsdetectors.html

Basically the passive monitor is just that, a device which does not require power, CO2 or chemicals to attract bedbugs. It does not rely upon trapping or capturing a bedbug it works by inducing the confirming signs such as cast skins and faecal traces. The device is actually designed to induce the deposition of faecal traces as they interact with it. These are easily confirmed ont he detection place with a simple smear test. They are designed to detect the first invaders of bedbugs as a true early warning monitor. We have not yet perfected their applications during treatment but they seem to work well to monitor post treatment, particuarly in thermal and non chemical treatment regimes.

The other group of monitors are active, some use heat, some chemical and some CO2. They are specifically designed to trap and detect live samples which is one of the fundemental differences between them and the passives.

I have limited experience of using them but will aknowledge that they have a role to play in some treatment and monitoring scenarios. Which is why I will often suggest that type of approach.

It's a bit like a big BB tool kit, you pick the right tools for the job at hand.

David

PS Sorry if that throws a whole world of different questions but it would take too long to post all the application parameters I factor in determining how I select which tools for specific jobs beyond if you want to look at live samples to confirm use an active and if you wantt o confirm they are around try a passive monitor.

15. miserableone

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 16:20:39
    #

Login to Send PM

David.....your answer was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

16. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 16:31:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David. I don't think the beacon is going to work in my car due to temperatures at night. I think I will try the BB Alert Active in the car and then the passive after that.

What do you think of my possible exposure? Did I do everything right to avoid bringing anything home?

17. scared-girl

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 22:28:40
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have seen no evidence elsewhere -- fecal stains, cast skins, specimens -- and all your son has are bites, then I would think after 10-14 days of passive monitoring you should start looking for causes other than bed bugs for your son's bites.

Am I understanding this correctly? So, let's say I install the BB passive alert. After 2 weeks of successful passive monitoring (where I do not find any more BB evidence...bites, stains, skins, etc) then I am most likely BB free? Is that right?

18. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 3 2010 6:20:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Scaredgirl - see Mr. Cain's posts above, but as long as there are no forms of bed isolation (i.e. climb ups), the BB's would move into the monitor within 12-72 hours. If you look on USbedbugs.com, and click on the monitors, I believe they have a video available as to how these monitors work which would explain things much better than I can. I have them installed on all my beds and am purchasing more for my couch and car. I was cleared by a K9 2 weeks ago, but as I do quite a bit of traveling and have frequent visitors to my home, I am monitoring to be proactive.

Also, I note that your post says "bites, stains, skins". Bites are not evidence and you would need to find fecal stains, skins or BB's to confirm.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88