(5 posts)
  1. Passivemonitorquestion12

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 29 2017 12:17:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

I've looked at almost all the pictures posted for the passive monitor install locations. Just want to make sure mine is correctly installed. Pictures are here: http://imgur.com/a/2RMvm

I put mine on the side of the bed that I sleep on (I have a queen but always sleep on the left side [assume facing the bed], not in the middle) on the wooden slats that hold up the mattress. The bed is an IKEA bed with just the wooden slats + the metal support bar that goes down the middle. I have 2 walls that align with the bed, one goes along the head of the bed, and the other is along the right side of the bed. The bed is not touching either of the walls at any point. There is also a nightstand light right next to the side where I sleep, along with a floor lamp that is right next to the nightstand light. I usually only have 1 of those 2 on at any time, and I keep them off at night.

I think I was recently potentially exposed to bed bugs by a friend who visited, and she was only in the living room, so they'd have to walk through the living room to get to me here (or hitchhike off my clothes), but I am assuming here that they would not enter my bed from the bottom of the bed, only the top near my head? Because it's closer to the walls, and maybe they only walk along walls? (is that correct?) I read somewhere on this forum that they prefer to enter closer to where your head is.

My question is, would they prefer the darker corner near the wall, and so then would they climb up the bed leg closer to the wall (on the right side) and then walk across the bed to get to me? In which case they might never cross paths with the monitor, since maybe they just walk back the way they came?

My reasoning for the current placement is that maybe once they finish eating me, they would find the most efficient way to the floor (that would be the closest bed leg to me, which is the bed leg on the left side) and some of them would then cross paths with the monitor.

Let me know what you think and if I should move the monitor to the middle of the bed where the top wooden slat and the metal bar cross, or possibly somewhere else entirely.

Thanks so much for your help! By the way, love you guys, love this forum, you're really an amazing community of helpful knowledge and support. =)

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 30 2017 8:16:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

This is where I would install, based on the gallery images here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjQYxVmE

slatted central support bed by David Cain, on Flickr

As you don't sleep on the "dark side" of the bed the monitor placed in the middle provides the perfect home conveniently placed between you and the most preferable side of the bed. It is not likely to have a bearing on which leg they would most likely walk up.

If you do in fact sleep on the "dark side" then yes you are correct to move it into that corner because it increases the likelihood of early detection int he first 21 days.

However, it is also not something that you need to overly analyse as successes we have in places like linen cupboards at hotels kind of illustrates that there is more to this "bed bug whispering" than even the most zen among us currently understands.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Passivemonitorquestion12

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 30 2017 14:57:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David, that is very helpful.

I ended up putting it in the middle of the bed as you suggested, but centered on the first wooden slat instead of touching the headboard (see image: http://imgur.com/a/Ny8GM). When I tried to put it in the position you had suggested, I found that because the metal support bar is lower than the wooden slats, the monitor was at an angle, half on the metal support bar and half on the first wooden slat. So I just ended up centering it on the wooden slat. Is this ok? Or should I try to put the monitor as close to the headboard as possible and would it be ok then if the monitor is angled and not really sitting on the surface?

Also, I've stuck and unstuck the monitor quite a bit by now haha, trying to find the optimal position. I had put it partly on top of a sticker in the previous location, so when I removed it, part of the back has ripped-up sticker on it, so it's not as sticky anymore. Does this matter too much? Where it is now, it's still sticking, just not as strong as before, and then it's also kept in place by the weight of the mattress on top of it. This shouldn't affect its performance, right? And I'm also hoping that removing it a few times (it did bend a bit) didn't deform the holes and make it so that the bugs don't have to defecate before they squeeze into the harborage.

Sorry for the follow up questions, thanks again so much for your help!!

4. Passivemonitorquestion12

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 30 2017 15:04:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, the previous link is broken, here is the link for the image with the current monitor placement:

http://imgur.com/a/lzxEA

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 1 2017 5:07:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

That's fine as it is.

Its always better to ask than to install and ask later. The lack of sticky will not effect the products efficiency so long as it remains in place.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081