(10 posts)
  1. Miseryck26

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 14:59:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I've been using the BB Alert Passive monitor and just want to make sure I'm doing it right. My bed has no box spring, just wooden slats under the mattress. The headboard is tall and open on the back, which faces the wall. There are drawers built into the bed. They don't touch the floor, but they are open to the underside of the bed.

I currently have the monitor on the wooden slat closest to the head of the bed, facing the floor. All clear so far. My questions are:

Given the bed structure, is this the best place for the monitor?

What should I be inspecting? I've been checking the white skirt for fecal traces and cast skins, but I can't really see into the small cardboard holes. Should I be able to see all the way inside?

Thank you!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 5:05:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If its a recent purchased the label should say PackTite Passive rather than the old label which has not been manufactured for several years.

The FlickR gallery below will show you where the install location is:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjQYxVmE

Its top slat at the head end.

As per the video here:

https://youtu.be/HDAKIg4Qrz8

Inspection is all about looking at the white detection skirt to see activity. You do not need to remove the device and look inside. Its a lot simpler to use that people seem to want to make it at times.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Miseryck26

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 6:56:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I was worried that the open drawers or open backed headboard might be providing an alternate place to hide, but it sounds like I've been using it correctly, so that's a relief. The one I bought is labeled BB Alert - I got it in the US. That model is still fine to use even though it's outdated, though, right?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 7:54:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The placement is correct and I have no issue with the open draw or headboard because you are providing the most optimal home in the closest location, it is not in bedbugs nature to make long and complex journeys unless you force them to do so.

My concern over the label is the age of the stock. The manufacturing agreement that produced that stock was ceased many years ago and as such I know its at least 3 years old and most likely much older than that, certainly beyond the range that we test to and we do know there is some reduction in efficiency with age.

Equally the newer label has a slightly more refined design which although not something a person would notice without a side by side comparison our data illustrates one design is better than the other. Not by a double digit factor but when your aim is to 99.999% accuracy because 99.99% is only good enough for others and your 16+ year obsession with bedbugs means you have a Rainman'eque approach to the subject.

I am working on a new online retail source to ensure the correct things can get into the hands of those who need them and part of that is also creating US versions of the kits we have been developing in the UK for many years. Its just taking time to set up the platform as we want to ensure that it ethically supports the forum. I am hoping to have it ready for April of this year.

Hope that makes sense.

David

5. Miseryck26

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 8:43:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for the thorough reply - that definitely makes sense. Given that it's likely an older model, do you think I can still use it with confidence? It's been clear for over two weeks.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 8:50:09
    #

Login to Send PM

If your confidence requirement is not as stringent as mine.

David

7. Miseryck26

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 9:39:35
    #

Login to Send PM

That's fair, thank you!

8. Miseryck26

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 11:32:47
    #

Login to Send PM

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 12:13:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes, that is PFH Manufacturing who make them.

David

10. Miseryck26

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 12:22:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Great, thank you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,659 posts in 48,865 topics over 151 months by 21,453 of 21,855 members. Latest: rukia, mewalker, frejohansen