Passive monitor and climb ups

(9 posts)
  1. astrogirl

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Mar 16 2019 12:50:55
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I have a light dusting of powder in my climb ups. I did not put
    any on my bed frame legs. I noticed on the leg closest to my head a lot of powder on it but not on any of the other legs. Is this a sign that they’re climbing up the leg and leaving a trail of powder? Also, with the passive monitors, can BBS get under the card board part that lays flush to the black plastic part? I pulled the cardboard up and saw a very small black spot. I should’ve taken a picture first but instead I touched it first and it came off. Now, I’m worried. No were no other signs on the monitor though. Like, on the white part and outside cardboard part. Thank you!

2. astrogirl

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Mar 16 2019 13:14:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, I found this black spot on my climb up.

C2E0F69D-E9B1-4D23-81D1-00A121AD25DD by lele, on Flickr

36680F62-C825-472B-BEED-7AF36E16BE75 by lele, on Flickr

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Mar 16 2019 13:38:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The behaviour that induces defecation with the Passive Monitor is targeted to the detection skirt to optimisedetection. There is never a need to open them or look inside to inspect.

Equally I know the spot is not bedbug related because it would have felt an absorbed stain under the part that flaked off. There is a lot of less than obvious optimization on something that appears simple. My job is to make it reliable and that means later by layer it’s need worked on since 2009.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. astrogirl

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Mar 16 2019 14:06:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, thank you again. I wanted to ask you about Bed Bug blue. If one of the test spots test negative can you reuse that spot? Does that small spot on my climb up look like fecal? It won't come off. Also, thank you for all the help you and the other pros provide on here. The fact that you guys take time out of your day to help people for free speaks volumes.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Mar 16 2019 14:30:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I tend to use the “pro” kit with the longer test paper so I don’t encounter reusing. I suspect so long as you have not rubbed the surface you might get a second use out of a negative area but I would advise halving spots with pencil and using top or bottom half first.

Once you get a positive result I would not attempt to reuse that spot again.

The spot is not in clear enough focus for me to comment although there is nothing about that surface that would induce defecation.

Thanks for the supportive comments, I think if anyone is in doubt about people’s character and motives they just need to read a little more of the forum.

David

6. astrogirl

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Mar 16 2019 14:37:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Agreed. Is there a fact sheet of sorts regarding BB bathroom habits that I could read. Unless there is one and I missed it. Do they usually defecate right after feeding and/or closer to their harborage or is it all just random?

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Mar 16 2019 16:00:03
    #

Login to Send PM

No yet.

It’s a subject I could write on and sadly the level of detail would shock most. It’s one of those worlds on a pin head issues.

They tend to defecate close to harbourage locations and that itself become self aggregating, you can see this illustrated in some of the cartoons I have commissioned (we try to make them informative as well as non scary).

David

8. fmlimscared

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Mar 16 2019 23:41:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I just put both interceptors and a passive monitor on my bed? Is t okay to use both at once?

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Mar 17 2019 0:33:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It's possible to use them both at once but its not something I advocate. The reality is that isolating the bed in my experience and field trials slowed down the resolution of treated rooms which is why we simply use Passive Monitors alone.

The whole interception "is a MUST" never took off outside of the US but I don't think the technology was well received back in 1851 when it first came out. Equally we are not massively into encasement in the rest of the world either and it does not adversely effect our results.

I have said before if you want to use both you need to add 7 days to the "all clear" schedule and use 14 and 21 days rather than 7 and 14, this reflects the delay we saw in the field.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver