Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Passive Bed Bug Monitor

(6 posts)
  1. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 11 2016 7:37:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I have some of these units on the way. I plan to install on the back of headboards and on the back of the sofa.

How easy are these things to check? I assume they are adhesive-backed. Do you have to "unstick" them for checking purposes?

2. Canuck

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 11 2016 9:37:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bugged-cdn,
    If you are referring to the BB Alert passive monitor, aka, PackTite passive monitor: yes, the unit has an adhesive back and no, you do not 'unstick' the unit for regular inspection. Rather the optimal location for installation should take into account ease of access.

Hopefully your seller has included an installation guide; generally speaking, the back of a headboard, nor the back of a sofa, is an optimal install location but there are exceptions depending upon furniture design, placement in the room, etc.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  3. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 26 2016 14:49:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Canuck. I haven't received them yet. I hope to get them before Canada Post goes on strike

The PCO who inspected our apartment last Monday said we were in the clear but I found a live, adult BB in one of my bed's climb ups today, so here we go again

4. Canuck

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 26 2016 18:31:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugged - I did an opps. I meant to say "generally speaking, the back of a headboard, nor the back of a sofa, is NOT an optimal install location". My apologies for the typo and misinformation. Those locations are usually a long trek for the bug from a feeding site to the monitor; you want a shorter route.

5. TSPiggy

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 26 2016 18:54:08
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I, and our daughter have wooden platform beds with drawer storage underneath. I placed my passive monitors underneath the mattress on the slats that support them. That's where the bugs were harboring in my daughter's room and the last live bug I saw 11 days ago came up from between the side of the frame and mattress.

6. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 27 2016 16:09:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the clarification, Canuck.

I don't know if I have it in me to deal with this AGAIN.

We had them two years ago and by that time, the problem in the building was already bad. We were lucky (I guess) that we were OK after two treatments, but the landlord never eradicated the problem. We would hear from neighbours that so-and-so has them, and so on. They were never gone-gone.

I’m kicking myself for not moving out last year while our unit was in the clear. Now of course there is no point in moving, unless we go all scorched earth (I am not crossing that strategy off the list completely).

We're getting a full PCO treatment this week. The prep work alone is killer. Then the waiting. Then the re-treating. Waiting. And our cats are old and do not handle any change to their routine well at all, so that’s an added stressor.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs