Paranoid about possibility of infestation

(3 posts)
  1. ParanoidPat

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 10:37:49
    #

Login to Send PM

About 2 weeks ago I woke up with 3 bug bites--one on my ankle, one on my torso, and one on my outer arm. Initially I assumed it was mosquitoes from being out the day before (but my torso was covered when I was out, so that one seemed odd). Then I started to worry about bed bugs, so I checked my sheets, and I found some blood spots --but they seemed old/faded, so they could have been from shaving my legs before bed in the past, and maybe not washing out all the way. Hmm. I started to feel anxious, so did an inspection--did not find anything on sheets/mattress pad/mattress, but did not pull bed apart to inspect boxspring. (We have an antique bed with a fancy wooden frame, so it's hard to get the boxspring out. Of course, that frame has a million possible hiding places for bugs. ugh. ) Washed sheets & mattress pad.

Then I remembered that, 8 years ago, I installed the BB Passive Alerts on the back of the headboard. (This was b/c we had a house fire and had to move to a hotel for 7 weeks, and that is when I first learned about the increase in bed bug infestations. So I bought the passive alerts to put on all our beds when we returned home). I used to check them regularly but had fallen out of the habit. I checked the alert and it was completely clear.

Then I had a week with no bites so was starting to feel better; but I woke up with one yesterday, on my upper arm (inner side). This put my anxiety into full blown mode. Still no (new) marks on sheets. Still nothing on the BB Passive Alert (in my room or our 2 other bedrooms). Husband helped do a slightly better inspection (but again, we did not pull up the boxspring). We found nothing. Husband and 2 kids have not had any bites. No new bites on me today, nothing on sheets.

We live in a single family home in New England and do not travel extensively, but have made a few trips in recent months. Because of my paranoia from 8 years ago, we own a PackTite, and we generally treat all our duffel bags and clothes when we return home from trips. That said, we have gotten more lax in recent years, and especially when all 4 of us are returning from a trip, not every item other than luggage makes it in for heat treatment.

We do have carpet beetles in our house, but I know they do not bite.

My rational mind tells me that I should trust the BB Passive Alerts...and that we are low risk...but my "other" mind is full of "what ifs", and if we do have bugs, I want to discover that when the infestation is small! So I am wondering if it's worth the peace of mind to call an extermination company and have them help us do a better inspection (pull up the boxspring etc). Or maybe call an independent company that has bed bug sniffing dogs? Or get encasements? Interceptors? (this one is tricky b/c the antique bed is more like a sleigh bed, with large feet).

Argghh, I am making myself crazy.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 11:06:37
    #

Login to Send PM

You've found no evidence of bed bugs, I'd leave it at that.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. ParanoidPat

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 28 2018 22:56:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Crap.
    Have been inspecting my sheets every morning, have not seen any black dots. However, I washed my sheets today, and when I put them back on the bed, I saw the following streaks. I am thinking there could’ve been tiny dots that I missed, but they Street when I put them through the wash. Arggghh I am so freaked out!!! BB passive alerts are still clear. I did a ton of cleaning today and found no other signs.
    Streaks on sheet

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,447 posts in 46,579 topics over 142 months by 20,544 of 21,410 members. Latest: itchymama4, PrismArc, unclejohn