Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Panicked! Would bed bugs come out in the open in groups with no other signs??

(6 posts)
  1. Worriedinbk2019

newbite

Posted 12 months ago
    Thu Oct 18 2018 19:37:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all - hoping someone can help ID these bugs I’ve seen in my bed over the past 2 weeks. Some background - I actually haven’t slept in my bed for over a month as I’ve been at my boyfriends house. About 2 weeks ago I was in my bedroom putting away laundry when a saw a tiny black bug walking on top of my made bed. I quickly killed it and assumed it was a gnat. Then I went on vacation for a week and got back 2 days ago. Yesterday, I come home and see 3 of these things just hanging out on top of my sheets. I don’t know if it’s worth mentioning but they all look the same. I killed them and then went to my boyfriends...this morning I came back to get clothes for work and I see another one on top of my sheet... I poked at it and wings came up but it did not fly. I just came home from work and I see ANOTHER one on top of my bed. This one didn’t put up the wings when I poked it but still looked the same as the other 5!

Please tell me these aren’t bed bugs. I am terrified! I am trying to see if I can put up my photo. They are small and black and almost look like gnats but do not fly. Other than these bugs I wouldn’t have thought about bed bugs at all as I don’t think I have had any other indications! I had bed bugs at camp when I was a teenager (years ago) and I know that my body reacts severely to bites.

2. Worriedinbk2019

newbite

Posted 12 months ago
    Thu Oct 18 2018 19:41:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Some photos..they are very small and extremely paper thin. The second one is a bit blurry and it’s disjointed bc I had already killed it

https://imgur.com/a/Ir1scT7
    https://i.imgur.com/MKFvtJB.jpg

3. bugged-cdn

Posted 12 months ago
    Thu Oct 18 2018 19:45:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs don't have wings.

4. Worriedinbk2019

newbite

Posted 12 months ago
    Thu Oct 18 2018 19:52:12
    #

Login to Send PM

But don’t they have some semblance of them? Only one of the bugs I poked showed them...the other ones just kept walking quickly.

I’m worried that they resemble bed bugs in size and shape. I’m wondering if because I haven’t been home they’re all coming out start migrating somewhere else? I am shocked by how many I’ve seen in just 48 hours.

5. Worriedinbk2019

newbite

Posted 12 months ago
    Thu Oct 18 2018 21:30:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you might have an idea of what bug this is if not bb? I’m really really hoping these are something else but regardless I still have a bug problem given the high volume of them that I’ve seen. Appreciate the insight.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 12 months ago
    Fri Oct 19 2018 6:48:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Worriedinbk2019 - 10 hours ago  » 
    Please tell me these aren’t bed bugs. I am terrified! I am trying to see if I can put up my photo. They are small and black and almost look like gnats but do not fly. Other than these bugs I wouldn’t have thought about bed bugs at all as I don’t think I have had any other indications!
    But don’t they have some semblance of them? Only one of the bugs I poked showed them...the other ones just kept walking quickly.
    I’m worried that they resemble bed bugs in size and shape. I’m wondering if because I haven’t been home they’re all coming out start migrating somewhere else? I am shocked by how many I’ve seen in just 48 hours.
    Do you might have an idea of what bug this is if not bb? I’m really really hoping these are something else but regardless I still have a bug problem given the high volume of them that I’ve seen. Appreciate the insight.

As was noted above, you poked it and you saw obvious wings. So, that's the end of any resemblance to bed bugs once obvious wings or wing covers are found. It doesn't resemble a bed bug at all. It doesn't look like a gnat (a fly), either.
    It's a beetle. Picture not good enough to tell you exactly which species. Maybe a fungus or moisture-related beetle; maybe a stored food product species.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs