Paktite vs Zappbug Heater

(7 posts)
  1. Menton

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 28 2015 8:18:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I decided to invest in a Paktite to reduce the anxiety I have every time I return from a trip. Went online to buy one and ended up on Amazon. To my surprise there were only 4 reviews and they were pretty negative. There were a number of positive reviews for a different product ZappBug heater (which looked to be essentially the same thing but apparently better).

I don't put much stock in online reviews so decided to check here. I saw some threads but most seemed to be a few years old so wanted to start a new one to get any feedback from people who have tried these products and if you think one work better than the other.

Thank you.

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 28 2015 8:38:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Amazon reviews are often value oriented. Packtite is more expensive than the competition so that could account for the negative reviews. It doesn't mean it's not as good, nor does it mean it's better. People here have given thumbs up to both, but you will hear more about Packtite because it's been around longer. I believe all of these products have had recalls and/or upgrades, and therefore the current models are an improvement on the older models. As I see it, the key on any of these units has always been careful temperature monitoring. This can be enhanced by purchasing additional temperature probes which are relatively inexpensive.

Richard

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 28 2015 14:36:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Many people here use a Packtite. It was the first such product, and it was independently tested by a pro to be very effective (David Cain), and many other experts here have mentioned using it.

And while David Cain and the Packtite manufacturer (David James) subsequently have had a business relationship, it's my understanding and worth noting that wasn't true when the product was launched or independently tested by Cain.

I have a Packtite Closet and I like it a lot-- the bar for hanging and the size both work to speed up the treatment process for me.

Other similar products may work well. One problem is that it really isn't possible for most consumers to thoroughly test that a product like this is without cold spots-- we can use it but we can't really be sure. And products are not always independently tested due to the cost of doing so.

Using multiple temp probes (more than are provided with the product) and being careful to place them in a variety of areas which seem insulating to you, and using products as directed gives the best chance of success.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 28 2015 17:39:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's a review I found from Bed Bug Supply on the Zapp Bug Oven, where they call it the "best value" out there. Bed Bug Supply also sells the PackTite unit (as well as Thermastrike) so I think they could be considered objective. Also, since they deal with the public directly, I would imagine they would be the first to know if their customers are unhappy with a given unit. Apparently Zap Bug has a one and two heater unit depending on the size you need.

bedbugsupply.com/blog/review/zappbug-heater-review/

Whatever unit you decide on, if you buy it from one of the links in this site's "Useful Tools" section, the site gets a nominal fee at no extra cost to you.

Richard

5. Menton

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 29 2015 22:10:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Will definitely buy from the links here - thanks for the reminder!

Question - from my reading, it seems like the ZappBug might not heat as well/fast. It is larger so is harder to heat up and also seems like the air flow may not be as good.

Does anyone have any feedback on this?

Thanks.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 30 2015 0:20:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Which Zappbug model do you mean? There are links here so you can see the different models:
    http://bedbugger.com/useful-tools/#Packtite

(ignore that the anchor says Packtite-- that dates from a time before other bed bug ovens w
    we're being marketed but they're in the same section)

7. Menton

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 30 2015 21:27:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I am looking at the smallest one - I just need it for a carry on suitcase when I return from traveling.

The ZappBug measures 43 x 22.75 x 24 and the Paktite measures 18 x 36 x 15.

My readings have indicated that the air flow is better in PT and, since it is smaller, it heats up faster.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982