Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Packtiting Furniture and other oddities; Oh, yeah...what about the microwave?

(16 posts)
  1. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Sep 8 2011 17:15:45
    #

Login to Send PM

So I decided against a steaming things because my attention to detail skews towards obsessive and also gives me intense tunnel vision. (I could miss something while overtreating something else.)

I plan on running things through a packtite and disassembling when needed to make that happen.

With solid wooden furniture that is screwed & glued together, can this be packtited safely? Is there any bizarre chance that a bug could hide under the edge of a screw and then come back to screw me over, so to speak?

If the tabletop is too big, is washing it with Murphy's Oil Soap and putting some into the holes with a Q-Tip enough--if no visible signs of infestation exist?

Other odd question: I bought encasements for this mattress and have not put them on the bed because I can't do it alone. Would one of these successfully packtite so that I could take it for my new bed?

Finally, would anything bad happen to a Charlie Brown christmas tree if it went through the packtite?

According to my tarot cards, Mr. Cain, I will be reborn but this is a lesson I must learn. I have to say, this is a pricey lesson.

2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 10 2011 14:45:32
    #

Login to Send PM

What about my 35 mm SLR?

3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 10 2011 20:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

if anyone can answer my questions I appreciate it. I just stumbled into my dream apartment tonight. I don't wanna take these spuvenoirs with me.

I worry about the fact that I have singly bagged items and then I think they can be hand inspected and sytored. I'm terrified, I'll bring them with me.

4. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 10 2011 22:03:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not certain about the packtite because I've never used one.

If I were moving, I would do the following:

1. Run everything you can through the dryer and pack it in plastic.
    2. If you can live without something, throw it away or leave it (I don't remember the specifics of your story, but if it's a situation with an uncooperative LL, I would just leave stuff and let them deal with it).
    3. If it's something you can't treat, but don't want to part with, seal it up (twice maybe three times) and don't open it for 18 months.

I am not certain about the tabletop...The problem with Murphy's Oil is it won't kill eggs and I'm not sure it will kill the bugs...maybe if you drown them in it...If you can steam the table, that may be a better approach.

Best of luck to you

5. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 10 2011 22:58:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I can do everything but the table top in the pack tite, disassembled. And I can't afford the steamer, too. I have a rowenta steam iron. Maybe I can make that work in a pinch.

Thanks. I landed in a great apartment that I cannot detail for obvious reasons, but it's the kind of apartment NYCers brag about.

6. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 10 2011 23:45:09
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 39 minutes ago  » 
    I can do everything but the table top in the pack tite, disassembled. ... I landed in a great apartment that I cannot detail for obvious reasons, but it's the kind of apartment NYCers brag about.

Playing devil's advocate here – no chance, is there, that apartment was available *because* it had a certain problem that's not being disclosed? You've no doubt done some checking behind the scenes to minimize that possibility, I would guess.

Do you want to consider short-term storage in a contractor's bag of that table top and then run it, if it fits, through a PackTite Closet when that becomes available pretty soon, presuming you would be able to borrow one? Otherwise treat it with DDVP strips placed in the contractor's bag?

Hopefully your ordeal will now be over and you'll be the better off for it, having found your great new place, and after a few months you can become a happy contributor to the Success Stories category.

7. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 2:44:45
    #

Login to Send PM

No. The former tenant has had the buggers at another place and is a friend.

8. healthimpacted

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 3:50:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Read the instructions for the encasement as to what heat it can tolerate. Some brands cannot tolerate high temperatures, and the heat will destroy the protection.

9. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 4:03:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks!! That is an ace suggestion.

The microwave is 3 feet from the bed on the other side of the wall. I wondered if I could treat it like other electronics I'm taking: Visual inspection or if there is a higher risk with prominity

10. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 4:21:07
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 17 minutes ago  » 
    ...prominity

?

11. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 10:47:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I think Ashamed meant "proximity." - I'm not sure about the microwave. I wonder if wherever they would hide in the microwave would get hot enough simply by using it...Maybe someone knowledgable about the internal components of such electronic devices can better answer that question.

Ashamed, it may be helpful to read this success story: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/success-a-little-hope

This person got rid of a lot of stuff, but was able to move and as of the posting date, was bug free for 8 months.

- Best

12. djames1921

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 15:24:46
    #

Login to Send PM

We don't recommend electronics in the unit, the wooden table if it fits will be fine and the heat will penetrate into those areas as we even get heat into closed books. Hope this helps.

13. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 16:47:31
    #

Login to Send PM

It does!

I am having a problem with it today. The unit was running fine until the timer shut off. J turned it back on, but the remodeled continues to fall in the unit. What could be causing that?

I was doing clothes and they had been at 123 and when j found them they were at 119. Now a half hour later in a running unit, it's 116. :-(. Any ideas?

14. Koebner

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 16:53:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Ashamed - In your place, I'd just send the SLR & your lenses for professional cleaning using a recognised service agent for your brand. It's vastly unlikely that any bugs or eggs are in there but nice, shiny-clean kit never hurt anyone, & you'll have the peace of mind of knowing that everything's bugless. Don't worry about sending it - pro shops get kit that's been up the Amazon & heaven knows where else; they're prepared to cope with all kinds of mean, nasty, ugly stuff.

15. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 17:02:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! It's an old Yashica, so I'll check into camera repair and treat the bags just to be safe.

16. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 20:58:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for pointing me to it. I think I figured out what bugged me about my plans. Now I plan on bagging the palstic bins/ziplocks I carry in. I'll remove the outer layer once we get to my new place.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123