Packtite with heater on "low"?

(4 posts)
  1. acp1234

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2015 14:15:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I have a Packtite question. (I emailed the company, but my email bounced back; then I used the "contact us" form on their website, but since it's a Saturday I figured I'd post my question here as well.)

I purchased the Packtite 2, and I'm using it for the first time.

The heater shut off after about 12 minutes. According to the thermometer, the internal temp had reached into the mid 90s by that time.

I consulted the instructions. I guess the unit overheated and shut off automatically.

At first, I couldn't turn the heater back on at all. Then I saw in the instructions that you should wait 30 minutes to reset after an auto shut-off.

When the heater turned back on, I thought I would try running it on the "low" heat setting instead. My logic being, maybe this way it won't overheat-- even if the whole process takes longer.

So that's how I have it running now as I type this. It has reached 109 degrees so far (took about an hour).

Is my logic sound here? Will this work, provided that the internal temp reaches 120 and is maintained for an hour?

Thanks!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 25 2015 0:57:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure about all that but I have alerted Packtite inventor David James to your post.

Note David's company that originally manufactured Packtite (Nuvenco) has recently been bought by another company (PFH Manufacturing) who are now manufacturing and distributing Packtites, but David is involved there too.

In case David isn't able to respond to this post quickly, you can reach the new customer service team at service@pfhmanufacturing.com.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. acp1234

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 25 2015 13:47:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your help.

By the way, I ended up running a cycle on low and then trying it on high once again. The second time using it on high, it did not overheat.

In the end, though, the item I was Packtiting (a twin-size comforter) just wasn't well suited for the device. I had a hard time heating it evenly, I think because there wasn't enough empty space on top and in front (sides and back were clear). Plus the comforter tends to "spread out," no matter how densely you try to fold it. I should have just used the dryer!

Hopefully, I'll have better luck with smaller items.

4. djames1921

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 26 2015 10:29:28
    #

Login to Send PM

If the heater is running on the hot side or in a warmer environment, you can also scoot the heater back a few inches to keep the heater running cooler so that the safety fuse does not trip. Running it on low is fine as well.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982