Packtite - will a big suitcase fit in?

(15 posts)
  1. punaisedelit

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 8:47:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    I just recently discovered I had bed bugs; I'm thinking about getting a packtite to sanitize all the stuff I cannot wash and dry (and which is currently just bagged). Would a large suitcase (not carry-on type, the kind you'd check-in, back in the days) fit inside the Packtite?
    Second question: once items have been Packtited, are ziploc bags enough to protect them from further infestation?
    Thank you!

2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 10:45:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I was able to effectively treat my 31" suitcase. That was the biggest the original packtite fit.

I used ziplocs exclusively for items I took out over and over. They were fine for preventing re-infestation as long as they stayed sealed and weren't ripped. Thicker garbage bags are fine for things that can be stored for a longer period.

3. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 13:00:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Bonjour pdl,

Be sure to consider the recently-introduced PackTite Closet, costlier than the original PackTite but can definitely fit larger suitcases etc..

(If you order via one of the PackTite advertisements here on bedbugger.com, that will generate a commission to help run the site.)

J'espère que vous réussirez à vous débarasser des nuisibles!

(Et merci pour l'occasion de pratiquer la belle langue!)

jrbtnyc

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 13:17:15
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can swing it, I'd get the closet. You can put a small nightstand in it or a larger suitcase. With winter coming, I've been leaving coats and gloves in there and starting it when I get up in am or before I go to bed at night).

It's more expensive, but it fits larger items and is more efficient (in terms of getting a load done more quickly).

I've been interested in what others think but I've gotten a lot of use out of my packtite closet and ziplocs. Just came in from a trip, wrapped the carryons in a contractor bag outside, switched the packtite closet on and put things in, stripped and ran for the shower

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 13:32:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish the Closet had been available, but if all you can swing is the Original, it is highly effective, too.

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 14:42:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, I agree the original packtite has worked wonders for a lot of people. It's nice to have the closet but the original gets the job done for the majority of things (shoes, purses, coats etc). The closet would be more useful for a family, but it's great to hang clothes up.

7. punaisedelit

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 19:35:12
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc - 6 hours ago  » 
    (If you order via one of the PackTite advertisements here on bedbugger.com, that will generate a commission to help run the site.)
    J'espère que vous réussirez à vous débarasser des nuisibles!
    (Et merci pour l'occasion de pratiquer la belle langue!)
    jrbtnyc

Merci! et de rien! N'hésitez pas à pratiquer avec moi!

I'm going to have to wait a little bit before I can buy it, but a Packtite is just about the thing I want the most in the world right now.

8. nycfighter

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 9 2011 23:26:14
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks to the person who said they fit a 31" suitcase in there -- that's huge!

i travel extensively & was wondering about my 28" case.

will probably go ahead and invest. just hope i can find a place to store it when not in use. nyc apartments.......

9. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Dec 10 2011 3:54:55
    #

Login to Send PM

The original PackTite is foldable to a relatively compact size for storage. Perhaps the PackTite Closet is too, do I remember reading? Maybe someone who owns a Closet, or David James the creator and manufacturer thereof, will visit this thread and comment.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Dec 10 2011 12:31:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Not the PackTite David but I was in the warehouse with a measuring tape today and thought I would post.

Dimensions: 36” W x 18” L x 34” H. (Folds to 11” H for storage)
    Usable Space: Up to 40” W x 30” L x 36” H when filled with hot air
    (taken from USBedBugs website)

The heater has a small footprint some storage should not be an issue.

We are running our units at about 25% (an average of 6 hours a day) and have been generating a massive amount of data in terms of QC readings and its all looking good. I am about 7 reports behind on my workload but one of them is about the electronics we have tested although its not an exhaustive list the only fail was the CD that was left in the player.

I have been extremely impressed with the closets although I am lucky enough to have enough space that they are rack mounted on the ground floor.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  11. nycfighter

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Dec 10 2011 13:02:23
    #

Login to Send PM

perhaps i'm completely misunderstanding but by the numbers above, all 3 dimensions of the usable space of the unit are larger than the dimensions of the unit itself? (even up to a 12" expansion in length?)

12. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Dec 10 2011 13:41:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Since I have a packtite closet, I'm pretty sure the dimension above are for the packtite closet. It certainly does expand with hot air from the blower.

I never had the original, but I like the packtite closet because

1) it is fast (faster than the original packtite per David Cain and others who've used both) and
    2) I have it next to the door and just immediately hang up the coat, throw in the shoes, etc.
    3) You can take out the shelving unit and do pictures, very small nighstand, etc.

If you are someone who is regularly exposed to BBs at work (no idea but your name seems to indicate a first responder...if you are...thanks!), it is a nice, easy way to decontaminate upon coming home. The original packtite is smaller and could be used for the same reason in a smaller place.

TAOT

Just reread your post, it doesn't fold down as small as the original pactite. I think you could "double duty it" by keeping some of your hanging items in it. The lovely green (with white interior) goes with any decor

P.S. Here's a quote where David James states the measurements of the original:

djames1921 - 2 years ago  » 
    Internal measurements for a suitcase are 31 inches long by 18 inches wide by 16 inches high. Happy heating!

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Dec 10 2011 14:13:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi nycfighter,

Yes the unit expands as the air is blown into it making it larger than its resting size with a little extra capacity. Not that its likley to help those in everyday use but for those of us to get whole parties of people exposed stopping by on the way back from vacation it ends the potential nightmare a little earlier that way.

David

14. punaisedelit

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2012 20:00:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Bumping this to ask more Packtite questions:
    can I Packtite a digital bathroom scale if I remove the battery? a blender? an electric kettle?

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Feb 25 2012 23:33:29
    #

Login to Send PM

It stands to reason that what is true of structural heat treatment would also be true of a Packtite-- it may be possible to safely treat electrical items without batteries (or with batteries removed and not treated), but it may also cause some damage.

Those who've had heat treatment of a home have noted in some cases some damage occurring with electrical items either immediately or down the line.

It's true that structural heating of a home typically reaches much higher temperatures (140 F seems common) than people usually aim for in a Packtite. I am not an expert but I would guess that keeping temperatures to about 120 or so might make it less likely that they're harmed.

If an item or part is washable (e.g. glass carafe from blender), I wouldn't bother with the Packtite.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail