(5 posts)
  1. BCBedBuggery

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Sep 18 2013 3:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

We recently found two live bed bugs early one morning (at around 5am) just over a week ago, and a couple more + fecal stains once we inspected the bed. We informed the landlord and had a PCO visit the apartment at the soonest possible opportunity (3 chemicals where used).

We couldn't sleep in the apartment for the first few days due to the chemical smell. On the first night we slept in the apartment again we have since found two more at a similar time of night/morning, which I understand is to be expected after the initial PCO visit? However, we have quite a lot of items that we do not wish to dispose of but could perhaps be heat treated in a Packtite and then isolated in sealed bags until the treatment is complete.

Is there anywhere in that we can buy one of the original Packtites in Vancouver, BC? The price tag of the closet is a bit much, and the size of the original should be large enough for our needs.

Thanks!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Sep 18 2013 4:58:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Original Packtites aren't available in Canada. They can't be shipped there by a foreign seller, either.

However, you can buy Packtite Closets in Canada.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. BCBedBuggery

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Sep 18 2013 14:42:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 9 hours ago  » 
    Original Packtites aren't available in Canada. They can't be shipped there by a foreign seller, either.
    However, you can buy Packtite Closets in Canada.

Thanks. The closet looks good, but perhaps stretching the budget quite a lot! What alternative similar solutions are there? Are the Thermal Strike products effective? Seems very overpriced for a cardboard box + heater (but more affordable overall). Obviously we want to solve our problem and/or have peace of mind, so we will probably have to go with something.

Thanks!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Sep 19 2013 1:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Understood.

I have personally only used the Packtite Closet.

The AllergyGuy sells ZappBug Oven (their larger but not room-size model) in Canada, which is pricier than the Thermalstrike, but between the price of Packtite Original and Closet.

I don't know if Thermalstrike is available there, but BedbugSupply sells it, along with other bed bug "ovens", in the US, and they do ship internationally, assuming the product can be sold there. (USBedBugs ships internationally too, but only sells the Packtite at this time and can only ship the Packtite Closet to Canada.)

You may want to read additional threads on these products-- click to view posts tagged ThermalStrike and ZappBug Oven. Also seek out independent entomologists' testing data-- some of those threads include links to reports and feedback from others who have used these products.

(Disclosure: if you purchase items through the "affiliate" links in this post to various online stores -- or elsewhere such as the sidebar, or Useful Tools page -- I receive a small commission which helps keep the site running, at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure statement for more.)

5. Canuck

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 23:33:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BCBedBuggery,

I believe only the PackTite Closet and ZappBug Oven is available in Canada. Different regulations than the States, and a number of companies can not justify the cost to run the tests for the smaller market in Canada vs the States. Keep in mind, I do not believe the ZappBug Oven has a fan to circulate the air, otherwise you are 'leaving the door open' to cold spots where bed bugs may survive. There was a used PackTite Closet in Vancouver advertised at a lower price point. As the weblink is still up, I assume it is still available: Used PackTite . Looks they tried renting out PackTites and it was not paying for itself so they are closing out their stock. It is an option. If you are interested in a new one, you can save on shipping by picking one up yourself. Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,447 posts in 46,579 topics over 142 months by 20,544 of 21,410 members. Latest: itchymama4, PrismArc, unclejohn