PackTite taking forever?

(10 posts)
  1. DustinS85

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 4:05:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I just got a PackTite Max today (no, it's not a part of the recall). I noticed it is taking hours to get to 120 degrees. Is this normal? It's been 4 hrs now, and the thermometer is reading 105 degrees only. Is this normal?

2. Canuck

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 7:44:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Dustin, what is the ambient temperature in the room? That can have an effect. I believe the optimal is 70F. Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 8:15:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Base temp inside the PackTite or core temp inside what you are heating?

4. DustinS85

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 11:49:22
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 3 hours ago  » 
    Base temp inside the PackTite or core temp inside what you are heating?

The core of the clothes I am heating.

5. DustinS85

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 11:50:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Canuck - 4 hours ago  » 
    Dustin, what is the ambient temperature in the room? That can have an effect. I believe the optimal is 70F. Sheree

75F

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 12:01:31
    #

Login to Send PM

What kind of a load is in the PackTite? Type of clothing and amount.

7. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 12:04:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Dustin,

Do you have it on a carpeted surface, or on a tile/linoleum/wood surface? I have found that my PackTite is faster to heat on a carpeted surface.

Also, in the past when I have had issues with mine, I have emailed the company directly (contact info can be found @ packtite.com) and they are always quick to get back to me and help me troubleshoot. Also, David James, the inventor, is on this forum from time to time, but I think your quickest way to get an answer would be via email.

Butterfly

8. ThermStrk

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 13:01:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Dustin,

I have tested tons of different materials / loads and can tell you that, yes, it’s quite possible for full bag of clothes can take more than 4 hours. I can also tell you that if the temperatures surrounding the item are consistently above lethal temp, the core will eventually reach lethal temperature.

I have no detailed knowledge of this particular product, but can offer the following as general information. As a disclaimer (and even as a reference on this subject) I design ThermalStrike heating systems.

Generally speaking, most heating systems target internal temperatures surrounding item between 135 and 165 degrees Fahrenheit. The internal temperature in the design of heating systems is a balance between ensuring items are not damaged and reaching core lethal temperature in a reasonable amount of time. Obvious considerations that must also be taken into consideration include lack of hot / cold spots, safety, and effectiveness.

Lastly, you’ve probably noticed that the rate that the core temperature is changing is slowing down. As the difference between the surrounding temperatures and core temperature gets smaller, the amount of heat (energy) transferred to the core takes longer. Again, if the items are surrounded by temperatures above lethal points, the core will eventually reach this temperature.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful.

Mike

9. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 13:17:19
    #

Login to Send PM

has to do with how full it is, maybe you have too much stuff into it?

make sure nothing is obstructing the air flow

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 22:47:40
    #

Login to Send PM

When I have had this problem, lightening the load inside has greatly sped things up. Also, if the floor is cold that can slow you down. Putting the unit on a rug or something may help.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111