Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Packtite heater looks...... cheap!

(7 posts)
  1. misery

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 20:46:59
    #

Login to Send PM

My confidence in the Packtite just plummeted when I looked at a photo posted by another forum user. I have the exact same thermometer...... paid $4 for it at Sears and I use it on roasts in the oven! Not to mention the heater looks like the old $20 floor space heaters I used under my desk. Granted the 'oven' part of it is different but really this seems to be wayyyyyyy overpriced. Can these setups be DIY'd at all with safety?

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 21:05:21
    #

Login to Send PM

What I really like about the PackTite design is that common bits have been used in a way together to allow for a low enough price so that it can be afforded by many.
    That being said, and I haven't picked up a PackTite 2 to disassemble, but the original is indeed a similar heater to what you've mentioned with a slight modification. I used the original PackTite as a template when designing my own industrial version that's about the size of a fat man's coffin.
    There's a lot more to it than just a heater and thermometer, and without my time in HVAC I wouldn't have even noticed what this product really is.
    Can someone make their own? Sure, I built one with a budget of $1,500 and some planning and running changes that is used on a daily basis, but I wouldn't dare try and market the beast that I built.
    I really like this product, and the creator stands behind it, what else can you ask when spending your hard-earned cash?

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 21:06:22
    #

Login to Send PM

To look at a bumblebee you'd think, no way can that thing fly...

4. misery

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 21:09:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Touché. I can accept there is something about it I don't understand that makes it worth more then the sum of it's parts but man. I was expecting more. Lol. Sorry, a bit of a tangent..... appreciate the reply clarifying (that part of it) at least!

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 21:14:42
    #

Login to Send PM

With the Packtite Closet, the heater is part you can pick up at a major Home Depot/Lowe's place (but it is not either of those). So, I've had my Packtite Closet three years and could just replace that part by running to the store. It was out of warranty, so that was the right thing to do for me. David James (the owner) told me where I could pick it up.

I don't say anymore the exact name of the part because I mentioned it years ago and then there was a thread with someone trying to build a Packtite Closet around this one part.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  6. Canuck

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 21:14:58
    #

Login to Send PM

We depend on the PackTite Closet - and employ it on a regular basis to decontaminate our tools and supplies used for our canine-assisted inspections. Would not feel comfortable without it.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 23 2014 3:01:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I can confirm that part of my definition of a good product is what appears to be a simple design that works (and I mean works 100% of the time).

What appears to be a heater and a bad is not. I test and fail enough heaters in bags and as anyone who has actually set out to test these sorts of products or try to make their own it's extremely hard to get it to 100%. Between cool spots which the bedbugs can and will find and not getting things too hot so the heat does not penetrate it's a lot harder than it looks.

Yes, some elements can be purchased cheaper but often they can't be purchased in bulk for cheaper unless you get to container quantities. I have seen Mr James modest facility and it does not have the space to store that volume. I am also sure he would be one of the first to advise people to get alternative thermometers if needed but would advise there is actually something special about the heaters.

Hope that explains.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,004 posts in 49,869 topics over 154 months by 21,823 of 22,290 members. Latest: Kimjoe5, Lzrdeyes, bnorth