Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

PackTite for Canadians

(5 posts)
  1. Bug wary

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 12:40:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I am a Canadian and would like to purchase a PackTite in the US and have it sent to Canada. I've spoken to a supplier, which will not ship to Canada but will send to a US address. I will be in the US in early November for a conference. The plan might be to send to the US hotel address and then I would FedEx it to Canada as goods purchased while in the US to arrive after my return. The problem is that the units are on back order and the company cannot guarantee shipping to the US address when I'm there. I can try and move mountains to get it but is approval for Canada expected in the next two months?

2. islandgal

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 13:21:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you happen to live close to the border?

There are some general stores or drug stores "across the line" that will allow you to have items shipped to their address, should an item not be available to ship to Canada or is very expensive to do so. They will charge you a fee, of course, depending on the size and weight of your parcel, that you pay at pick up.

I live in Vancouver. I found a snowboarding jacket on a US-based online store that I loved and could not find up here. Because of distrubtion rights, this online store could not ship to Canada. I had it shipped to a general store in a small town in Washington State that offers this service. I drove over an hour (one way) to get it, but it was well worth it.

Depending on where you are, you may be able to find such a store just south of you. If you are a fellow British Columbian in the Lower Mainland, let me know and I'll PM you the info.

3. Bug wary

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 14:03:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, thanks for your reply. I do live relatively close to the border and am aware of such services. It would be easier to collect the unit in the US and send it myself ,however. I'd get it faster and also avoid duties. The thought of travel without one of these is dautning. I don't believe I have bed bugs but I do believe that I may have come into contact with them recently while travelling. I have left my luggage in my garage and am gradually bringing in clothing and shoes and heating them in my dryer. The luggage itself is another issue. I was sold a non residue pesticide by a PCO but another said that it would not kill eggs and so I would have to be spraying the luggage consistently. The directions on the spray say no more than bi-weekly. I am dreading travelling in November. So much work. The PackTite would address this.

ALERT : Just heard from my daughter who teaches in a high school that all of the upholstered furnishings in her school are to be removed and only hard plastic and metal to remain. These are being presented as bed bug prevention meaures, although she has concerns that the bugs may already be in the school and they're just not saying so.

Now she has to develop a protocal for dealing with her belongings when she comes home based on bedbugs. No dryer in her suite, its down the hall, expensive, and not always available. A PackTite would be great. Although, can one PackTite a large winter coat and winter boots everyday?

4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 17:00:01
    #

Login to Send PM

"PackTite for Canadians"

I don't know but that seems a little extreme, even for the french ones!

OH!!!!! Never mind.

5. Notsolucky

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 18:14:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Bug Wary

We're in the same position as you and have been reviewing the posts waiting to see about Canadian availability. We had a "close call" 2 years ago and now that we're more "educated" and see them spreading travel is the main thing we're nervous about. Dh and I have 3 leisure trips in the next 9 months planned which will involve no less than 10 different hotels, let alone a number of overnight stays for business purposes. We've developed a protocol for changing and unpacking in our garage , immediate dryer etc. That said a Packtite would make life alot easier. We're close to the Niagara border so we had planned on doing the ordering in the U.S and having it delivered to our U.S P.O Box but in recent weeks I've learned from these boards that the Canadian version is expected "soon" and that it is "bigger" than the current one. This is very important for us since our large suitcases wouldnt fit in the one out now(36 inches long x 19 inches wide x 24 inches high )but would I think in the new one based on the dimensions I saw listed on the Stern website(36 inches long x 19 inches wide x 48 inches high). If anyone does have the info as to "when" it would be very helpful for us too !

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams