Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Packtite Cold Spot Question

(8 posts)
  1. persephone86

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2015 4:12:34
    #

Login to Send PM

So I was decontaminating items tonight in my PackTite 2 after traveling and didn't realize that my thermometer probe had accidentally fallen out of my items. I realized that it had fallen to the very far back of the unit with the probe touching the bottom/floor. Not a big deal, except, that I noticed then that the max temp there was only 101 degrees after about 2 hours of running. I then placed the probe back into the center of my items and they were at the lethal kill temps, but my concern is that a stray bug could wander or fall into to this back area of the unit and hangout just fine on the floor until the machine is turned off. There is a seam in the cover fabric in this spot too that feels like it could be a nice little respite for them to escape the heat. No tears in the cover or anything by the way.

I am probably missing some sort of science here. Is it because the probe was touching the cover surface and reading the surface temp of that and perhaps the air temp surrounding it is still reaching lethal temps and that's what matters? I have been using a Packtite in some form for 6 years and have placed my full faith in it, but this concerns me.

Anyone have any insight or thoughts?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2015 7:37:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Could be transfer from the outside, what was the Packtite sitting on?

3. persephone86

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2015 8:38:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Just my hardwood floor where I've always placed it. Average temp in that room is about 70 degrees, so not really too insane cold wise and floor feels fine and not cold at all. It is all along the very back of the unit from leg to leg where it is not reaching the kill temps. Again items on the rack had heated fine to about 130-135 in the dead center. I've never paid attention to the back area before, so I don't know if it is normal. I am just worried a rogue bug could survive if it made it's way to the bottom back part of the unit some how. I just need to know if I have a defective unit and if I am possibly leaving a safe harbor for anything with these cold spots.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2015 8:55:08
    #

Login to Send PM

If you elevate the Packtite you'll lose the transfer and that should take care of your cold spots.

5. persephone86

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2015 9:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Sadly, I have no real way to safely elevate it. This is the only place in my house to store it/place it for running. My floor is an ambient temp and not cold at all. I have had a Packtite in some incarnation in this same spot for 5 years. I really just want to know if this is this normal behavior for the unit or not? I use the Packtite often, so if I have a defective unit and have had one for a while, I'd like to know. I'd also be interested in knowing the science of this to know if maybe this is normal behavior or not. I am a natural worry wart, so the more information I have the better.

6. persephone86

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2015 10:52:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, could it be that when resting directly on the insulation material on the floor of the Packtite my thermometer probe is measuring the temp of that material instead vs. the hot air around it. Maybe it is designed to stay cooler to resist deterioration from the high heat? I pulled the probe up about a 1/4 of an inch above the floor in that spot and started getting more lethal temp readings.

Again I am a Nervous Nelly who asks a lot of questions when worried/confused....

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2015 12:23:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe a university in Florida that offers plans for DIY heat chamber boxes recommends that the chamber rest on some type of insulating material like carpeting, and not bare floors, for this very reason. You might want to try it with a piece of carpet or such underneath and then re-check your heat reading. Also calling the manufacturer is always a good idea.

Richard

8. persephone86

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 15 2015 18:07:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Richard. I do place it on carpet in the winter, but it's a very inconvenient placement. I did place on my yoga mat for now just in case. I did contact PackTite directly per your suggestion and have instructions for testing to complete when I get home. Fingers crossed!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982