PackTite Closet's Belkin Conserve Socket Burnt - Safety Concern

(6 posts)
  1. bbcomox

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 13 2014 2:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I purchased a PackTite Closet on in August 2013 through an authorized supplier in BC, Canada.

I used my PackTite Closet today, and when I turned off the machine according to the instructions, I noted that the Belkin Conserve Socket had burnt plastic around the right plug hole. There was a clear burnt smell. In addition, when I touched the black plug of the portable heater, it was hot to touch.

This is the photo of the burnt socket:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/free-stuff/12494991293/

This is the photo of the heater:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/free-stuff/12494879295/

I am very concerned that the Belkin Conserve Socket appears to be burnt, as it could cause a fire. I don't think I could use this any more.

Does anybody else has encountered a similar situation? Does the PackTite company provides any warranty on the Belkin Conserve Socket?

Thank you for your help.

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 13 2014 3:32:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know about warranty. I've used Belkin as a timer for other electronics and that has happened to me.

I had one with the original packtite (or something similar), but I actually don't use a timer with etiher of them. I just have an alarm set to turn it off. I do sometimes run it too long if I'm busy and forget.

You may want to email packtite and ask. I don't know their warranty. I just had a similar thing happen with the Belkin or the timer. I'm in an old building and figured that was the issue (it doesn't have the safety switch that newer ones do). I'm in the U.S.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 13 2014 6:37:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I had this occur with a Belkin timer from another product and opted for the "set a timer" approach.

However I have always found PackTite customer service to be more responsive than most so would direct this one to them on email and await a speedy reply.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. djames1921

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 13 2014 10:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

The problem you have is an overloaded circuit. You are running the unit on a circuit that is overloaded for the closet. We had a customer a year ago with the same issue so we recreated the same scenario in our factory by overloading a 15 amp circuit, the plug gets hot and melts, much like it would if you plug in too many xmas lights or appliances in the same circuit. And remember this is the circuit we are talking about, not just the individual wall outlet. We did this with both a timer in the loop and without a timer in the loop, if its overloaded you get the same result. We then googled this issue and found that is happens everyday with many appliances that are plugged into an overloaded circuit. Many think the fuse box will or should prevent this, but it never did when we overloaded our circuits, it really is an issue consumers need to pay attention to with any electronic device.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 13 2014 11:57:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't seen the new Packtites in person, what kind of amp draw are you averaging?

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 14 2014 2:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Good question, BigDummy.

David,

Thanks for the information. I suspect a lot of us never give much thought to our circuits until we blow a fuse.

Would bbcomox be best off just using the plug at this point, and be careful not to overload the circuits, or does the Belkin Conserve need to be replaced?

I was running my Packtite this week in a 15 AMP circuit, and when I'm doing this, I don't run any other big appliances. If I ran my power-sucking toaster oven at the same time as the Packtite, vacuum, or microwave, I would blow a fuse, if not damage something -- the warning came from a review of the toaster oven, actually, or I would not have given it any thought. Having read about that, I try to stagger these big appliances, one at a time.

Incidentally, the Belkin thingy got hot as did the plug also, when I ran the machine for 6 hours (just the Packtite). I was trying to treat some secondhand quilts and given how cold it was, and the two quilts in there together, it took a long time to heat up initially.

Hot plug or hot Belkin, with no singing or melting is okay, right?

Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,636 posts in 50,004 topics over 154 months by 21,866 of 22,347 members. Latest: gingerstelpa, jaa5108, fightingback