Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Packtite Closet Question - Metal chairs a hazard?

(3 posts)
  1. buggy123

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Sun Sep 16 2018 16:20:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone!

First-time bedbugger here!

My entire apartment building is infested with bed bugs and the landlord is doing a horrible job at managing the problem, so I've decided to move. I just ordered the Packtite Closet to treat my huge collection of books, magazines, designer shoes/clothing, etc that I'm bringing to the new place.

I'm getting rid of my bedroom furniture and couch, which I don't mind replacing. However, I have four antique chairs that I'm not willing to part with. I'm considering putting them through the Packtite Closet since I don't want to rent a storage unit. (DDVP is also not an option since I'm Canadian and also lack outdoor space to do the treatment.)

The chairs all have metal/leather and metal/rattan frames as seen here:

https://grshop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/w/a/wassily_chair_2.jpg
    +
    https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/lot-images.atgmedia.com/SR/10058/2879163/d5652914e_540x360.jpg

They all fit into the Packtite Closet when the support structure is removed, however, the metal frame of the chairs touch the textile walls of the Packtite when inside. Since metal gets very hot very quickly, I'm worried that this could be a fire hazard (either with the hot metal against the Packtite, or the hot metal against the rattan).

Does anyone have any experience with metal furniture in the Packtite Closet? Should oversized items not be in contact with the walls of the Packtite? Will it get hot enough for it to be a real fire hazard?

Thank you!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 days ago
    Sun Sep 16 2018 23:02:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I will alert the inventor, David James, and ask him to weigh in.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. djames1921

Posted 2 days ago
    Mon Sep 17 2018 8:13:01
    #

Login to Send PM

They won't be a problem, the metal will not reach temps that will cause problems. We worry most about air circulating around any items that touch the bag, because the chairs are metal this won't create a cold spot there because it transfers heat so well, so you should be fine. It is why all Packtite units have elevated shelves on the floor of the unit, if we had chosen to have customers simply put items on the floor of the unit or on top of an insulating material, we would have cold spots there that would never get to bed bug killing temp. This is the reason for the caution about having items touch the sides, with metal you'll be fine.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,257 posts in 46,267 topics over 141 months by 20,394 of 21,225 members. Latest: Llorenzaccio, morgan, mojo172