Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Packtite Closet Experiences? (especially books and papers)

(51 posts)
  1. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 14:01:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I am thinking about getting a Packtite closet. The original Packtite helped me a lot during my first infestation, but it is subject to the recall (and not available now) and I need help pretty quickly before my planned move.

My question is about people's experience with the power and speed of the closet model. I am thinking about using it primarily to deal with files, notebooks, papers, and books (as well as a few items of clothing that couldn't be laundered, and my shoes). My main questions are

1) whether it is powerful enough to do a stack of books at once (how many and how long does it actually take would be great to know), and

2) whether I could treat files IN the cardboard hanging file holders, or best yet, hanging inside the plastic hanging file bin itself, and if so, could I treat multiple files at once.

I am also curious as to whether DVD's and CD's can be treated in the closet model (I am not terribly worried about the possibility of damaging them, because my other option would be to throw them away) and if so, can they be treated in their cases?

I have looked at the FAQ's, but they were mostly about the older model, and I'm very curious to know what people's experience has been with the closet model. It looks like it was made mostly for dealing with clothes, but since it clearly is more powerful than the original model (and larger), I am wondering how it handles loads of other things.

Thanks for feedback!

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 14:43:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I have both Packtite models (my original may be recalled, I keep meaning to check again). I do use the closet for books, files, etc. Since airflow is important, I open the file box and set it on end (does that make sense). I often will do about 1/2 the papers of the box and then ziploc some to do in the next cycle. I tend to run it 4 hours, but 2 would probably work if not overpacked.

It's much quicker and stays hotter than the original packtite.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 15:11:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, theyareoutthere! Is the file box you have something like this?

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Letter-Legal-File-Box-Clear/product_480548?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:480548&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=35-175898940-2

That is the kind of plastic file bin I have my files in. So you would put that on end and run it about half full? With the papers in the cardboard hanging files? (Mine look like this: http://www.staples.com/Staples-100-Recycled-Reinforced-Hanging-File-Folders-Letter-3-Tab-25-Box/product_729554 )

What about books? Sorry for so many questions, but this information is really helpful to me! Thanks again!

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 15:47:29
    #

Login to Send PM

You might want to PM David Cain or David James. David Cain uses these in his "decontamination" area.

I have a mix of plastic boxes like you sent AND cardboard boxes for work. The plastic boxes will get hot. So, I leave the papers in the hanging folders like you have put spread them along the bottom of the Packtite Closet. I only do about a half a box at one time. I then put the box over where the files are stacked. I take the box out after an hour (the plastic ones, the cardboard I leave in) and just wipe it down. It is low risk if plastic in my opinion and it gets warm to the touch.

With books, I was opening them and stacking 3 or 4 face down. I think David James said you can just stack them, it just takes longer.

I'm allergic to dust mites, so I've been giving away books. The work files are kept in what must be a damp warehouse of some sort. By the time I get an item, it is dry. But, I've been finding this helps a lot with my allergies.

From reading David James comments, you may want to buy some extra thermometers (David Cain says use the wired vs. the wireless kind) and put the thermometers in your heaviest books. I may run an expermit with a cardboard box filled with files, but I've heard it is best not to overpack.

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 15:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I just remembered. Someone suggested using a dish rack for books. It sounded like Mr. Cain might try it. I'm going to get several for my closet. I may get metal ones vs. wood or plastic. I like the idea of using them for files, too. I used to have a metal thing that sat on my desk and could hold 3 or 4 expanding folders. That may be a good idea.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/think-twice-about-putting-books-in-a-packtite

6. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 16:43:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again, theyareoutthere! It sounds like this is going to be doable. So for books, you do about 3 or 4 at a time? And does that take about 4 hours also? Any advice on what kind of thermometer to buy for the books? Some of mine are rather thick, and I definitely want to make sure they are adequately heated. I will look at various dish racks online and see if any seem to make sense for this purpose (if anyone has actually done this, I would love to know specifically what dish rack worked for this!) Any input from David James or David Cain would of course be appreciated as well! I will wait to see if they respond to this thread before pm'ing them, since I would like the info to be out there -- there must be other people who would want to know as well.

There are a lot of things I can live without, but it would be awfully hard to lose my favorite books (and I need to keep my files). Oh, and my notebooks too. Now to figure out what to do about my guitar -- but that's another thread.

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 16:47:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I do more than 3 or 4 at a time. I do 3 stacks of 4 usually. I think the dishrack will help me do more files at the same time. Let's see what the experts say. It may be on Monday.

8. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 18:05:45
    #

Login to Send PM

(if anyone has actually done this, I would love to know specifically what dish rack worked for this!)

I cannot find any pictures but mine were the larger wooden type, it's like flat to store and when you fold it open it's like an X stand with groves, I would put my books slightly apart from each other on this contraption, like TAOT I'd do 12 or even 18 books (depending on size)

You can also hang you book on metallic clothes hangers, spine facing up, open it to the middle page

Now to figure out what to do about my guitar

I'd ask Mr Bello if DDVP is OK for a guitar, I seem to recall someone doing that with a violin

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 18:20:03
    #

Login to Send PM

If I am not mistaken the Packtite Max should be as powerful as the Closet since it uses the same type of heater. The original had a different type of heating system.

Perhaps David James or David Cain could confirm this.

The Closet's big benefit is the rod; if you are doing clothing and can hang it, air circulates much better and it works faster.

On the other hand, for books, the Max may be as good as the Closet, except if you can't get it as quickly at the moment apparently due to a shortage. Again, see what the Davids say.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 19:55:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, endless_nightmare! I think I know the kind of wooden dish drainer you mean; it sounds like a good idea for both books and files. I also really like the idea of using hangers for books, to spread them out and get to the insides more quickly (I would think). For heavier books, maybe I would try wooden hangers (I'm not sure the wire hangers could withstand those).

Nobugsonme, I would definitely be open to the Max if it is as powerful as the Closet (especially for less money!), but it does seem to be out of stock. I'm hoping I'll hear from David James or David Cain before too long. Thanks for the suggestion!

11. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 15:11:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Does the Packtite closet fit in a bag when folded up?

12. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 16:18:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Im not an expert so we will wait for one of them to respond.

13. player

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 16:45:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it available in the UK ?

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 18:44:29
    #

Login to Send PM

player - 1 hour ago  » 
    Is it available in the UK ?

Sorry, not yet.

Currently the Packtite Max is US only and the Packtite Closet is available in US or Canada.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 18:45:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I sent David James a note so he will likely look in on the thread soon.

16. djames1921

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 18:58:48
    #

Login to Send PM

For books the closet is best to do stacks of books 4-6 and you can do numerous stacks. As always use your thermometer to track temps to make sure you are getting your items to temp.

17. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 8 2014 19:13:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David James! Do you recommend buying a different or additional kind of thermometer for this purpose? I am assuming the thermometer also would go in the middle of the thickest book, placed close to the center of the PT, but please correct me if I am wrong.

18. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 22:11:14
    #

Login to Send PM

This is an update both on my progress with treating files in my new PT Closet as well as the function of the closet itself. At David James' suggestion, I kept my hanging files hanging in the plastic file bin, but took half of them out to allow for air flow (the rest are waiting in a ziploc). He said hanging would probably allow for better airflow than stacking the files up on the bottom rack. It took 2 1/2 hours to get the unit up to temp, with the thermometer probe stuck deep into a thick file near the center of the bin. So it looks like, so far, the files will take around 3.5 hours per half bin. Good thing I only have two bins of them to do!

I asked him about books, while I had his ear. He said if normal sized books, it is fine to stack 5 to 8 books and have multiple stacks. I told him I only had one thermometer and he said in that case, put the thermometer in the middle of the book in the center stack. He also noted that with books, the biggest worry is the outside edges of the books and the inside of the bindings, not so much the spaces in between pages, so depending on your comfort level, you might want to test in the binding more than the center (which I am guessing would be quicker). I plan to test the middles of the books, just because I'm a worrier, and now I kind of wish I had gotten one or two extra thermometers. Oh well. I did get some of those temperature sensors, but of course you can't monitor those as you go. Anyway hopefully some of this information is helpful. I tend to be one of those who feels the more information, the better.

So the PackTite closet seems to be working, after some tense moments at the beginning with getting it set up and the broken wheel part. I'll update once the files are done, as to whether the plastic file bin held up ok with hours of high heat. Fingers crossed.

19. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 22:15:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update! Glad it is working!

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 23:39:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update! I will try and work this into a FAQ quoting your suggestions and linking back/attributing you of course!

21. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 10:42:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Great idea, Nobugs! I'm sure more FAQ's about the PackTite would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

As an additional update, the plastic bin was very hot to the touch but did not actually melt. Oh, I probably should have mentioned, I took the lid (top) off the bin before PT'ing it (seemed like common sense, and David James seconded that). I am now running the other half of the files in the same bin (which cooled off overnight), with the lid in the PT separately. If all goes well, in a couple of hours I'll have completed one full bin of files. One more to go, then smaller random collections of paper, then on to books.

22. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 10:46:57
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredstiffofbbs - 12 hours ago  » 

I asked him about books, while I had his ear. He said if normal sized books, it is fine to stack 5 to 8 books and have multiple stacks. I told him I only had one thermometer and he said in that case, put the thermometer in the middle of the book in the center stack. .

This should have said "put the thermometer in the middle of the middle book in the center stack." So, the book in the middle of the stack that is in the center of the rack. I hope that makes sense.

23. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 11:48:35
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredstiff and TAOT,

If you (or anyone else) are willing to snap a few photos of your book treatment setups (dish racks or stacks), it would be a great enhancement to new FAQs.

If you end up doing this, please email me (nobugs at bedbugger dot com) with a note stating that the site has permission to use the attached images without payment, or put them on flickr with a creative commons license and post or email the link.

Many thanks!

24. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 13:22:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I may be able to do it this weekend (via email). Rather than the closet, which is darker inside, I'll use my original packtite rack and put the dishwasher rack on it to demonstrate. I've also used trouser hangers or clips for cheap paperbacks. I tend to watch library books the most carefully (in terms of heat) since they aren't mine.

25. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 14:23:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, TAOT!

26. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 14:35:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I may cover some of the book titles with paper

27. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 16:26:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hahaha, TAOT! Now I'm dying to know the titles

I will try to snap some pictures if I can. PackTite also has a YouTube video that shows how to PackTite books (although it's not in the Closet model, I think the idea is the same). Here is the link:

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Videos

I hope that helps!

28. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 17:03:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I do have quite a few interesting books, but I was joking and will leave it out. I have multiple books on stalking, including a number of stalker workout videos and books (those glass walls ain't easy to climb).

OT: I'm reading David and Goliath right now, very good...it's Malcom Gladwell's new book..

and a book called: The H Factor of Personality: Why Some People are Manipulative, Self-Entitled, Materialistic, and Exploitive - and Why It Matters to Everyone.

It's about the H factor (honesty and humulity), which is a basic dimension of personality...so key to living a happy life. I would know, because I'm the BEST. ha-ha

29. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 17:20:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Ooh, essential information!!! I was imagining the books that have Fabio on the cover or something

30. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 1:48:52
    #

Login to Send PM

31. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 15:23:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Another update: I successfully ran two plastic file bins (one half of the files at a time, so two loads per bin) with files hanging in them. The bins did get very hot but never melted, though I did wait a while between runs to let them cool down some. On average, it took a total of about 4 hours per run that way. Later, when I did some miscellaneous papers not in files or bins, the whole run took about 2.5 hours.

I am now running my first load of books. I had more stacks than I expected, because many of the books were small and there's a lot of room in the closet. I was careful not to make any one stack too high, so about 3 books if thicker per stack, and about 5 or 6 books per stack if thinner, but I did end up with about 7 or 8 stacks, leaving air space between each stack. I have two probes now, so I put one in the center middle, and one center left. Center left is heating up faster so far, but all in all it's going slowly, as expected. I'll update again when it's done. I hope the number of stacks was not a problem -- I got the impression from David James that multiple stacks was fine, so I hope I didn't misunderstand.

I'll keep updating as I go.

32. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 16:05:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I think multiple stacks are ok so long as there is space for air and none touch the wall of the closet.

Don't worry about your kindle. I store mine in a plastic bag when not using it. Emm and others seemed to think it was low risk. I've never run it through the Packtite.

33. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 16:11:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, TAOT! I was getting nervous bc the temps were rising pretty quickly -- the lower of the two is already up to 114, after only about 1.5 hours. (The higher one, near the left of the PT, is already up to 120). It makes me wonder if I placed the probes incorrectly or something. The "center center" is not exactly center, but I put the probe near the bottom of a big thick book with a pretty thick book under it and two thin books on top of it. I guess I'll run it longer, just to be sure. I want to take NO chances on any of these items that I'm moving.

34. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 16:40:28
    #

Login to Send PM

The different areas of the inside WILL heat at different temperatures, nothing unusual about that. There are directions for where to put the probe for this very reason. But even if you have two similar piles, their position and contents will affect how quickly they heat up.

I would just wait until they're all at least 120, then go for an hour. You don't want to go overboard or it might heat up a lot more and you could end up with some pretty crispy pages.

35. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 16:45:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Nobugs! I guess I'm worried that since I made so many small stacks I don't have a good gauge for the "center." I'm wondering if I should move the probes around, or just leave it alone? The lower number is the more-or-less middle of the more-or-less center stack, but there are other stacks behind and to the right of that that have no probes in them. Does that make sense? What do you think?

36. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 20:08:44
    #

Login to Send PM

My Packtite Closet runs are 2-4 hours. I overdo it. I haven't had much damage yet, just some shoe souls (that were glued on). Good luck!

I really appreciate my Packtite Closet.

37. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 21:08:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I was just having trouble believing a fairly large load like that could really get done in under 3 hours. It was, though. At about the 3 hour mark, with temps getting pretty high, I moved the probes to different locations and waited and watched for about 10 minutes. Both probes were at that point getting up in the 140's, one close to 150, so I decided enough was enough and shut it off. On inspection, every book was toasty hot inside; I did actually fry some of the pages as Nobugs warned, but I'm okay with that. I can and will still read them.

Doing the second load of books now, with some very thick tomes, and it's definitely taking longer, but I feel like I'm getting the hang of how to stack and where to place the probes. The peace of mind is a wonderful thing, and I was determined to keep at least my favorite books this time. So glad I am able to! I still mourn some of the ones I lost on the last go-round.

Thanks for the good wishes, TAOT! I am really learning to appreciate mine too

38. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 1:51:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Killing bed bugs with heat is an exact science, but we can't be very exact.

Thst's okay, though. I am not an expert but as I understand it, the Packtite instructions to heat to 120 F then for an hour are already going over what is needed-- it doesn't take an hour at 120F. My understanding is the hour is so these minor differences will be offset. So as long as you are basically following David James's instructions, then it should work.

Bed bugs will also be killed at 113F, it just takes longer.

If you run the setup just once with Thermaspots placed in the books, and monitor the temperatures with thermometers too, it may reassure you that things really are working just fine even without doing 2-4 hours after you reach 120F (TAOT, is that what you mean, or did you mean 2-4h total?)

Personally, I would want to avoid going too high and drying them out.

39. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 11:12:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Nobugs. Last night on my second load of books, I did use a thermaspot in a third location, in addition to the two probes. I feel very confident that it was successful. The total time it took (and there were some very thick books in this load) was approximately 3 hrs 45 minutes. It's comforting to know there is some wiggle room built into the instructions.

40. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 12:50:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I do 2-4 hours total. I do the same thing as Scared. I have 2 or 3 wired thermometers (wireless aren't supposed to work as well) and I've found 2-4 hours total is fine. I do sometimes go over 1 hour at 120, but hardly ever more than 4 hours that I can think of.

41. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 13:04:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Running my first load of two lighter jackets, puffy winter coat, empty backpack and two pairs of shoes now. I thought I'd be able to fit more, but it was seeming fairly full with those contents so I stopped there. Also, my (~ knee length) winter coat dragged onto the bottom rack. Does that sound right? Is it normal for the hangers to touch the "roof" of the PT when hung on the rod? I hope I didn't do something wrong after all in setting up the rack. The probes also didn't want to stay in the pockets of the coat and jacket, so I had to zip them in. I also put a thermaspot in the backpack and one in one of the shoes. I am hoping for some reassurance that all this sounds normal. One other thing, that has been on my mind: I can see white threads on the bottom right outside of the PT closet (could see them the moment I set it up), and it seems like a tight fit over there in that there seems to be some straining or pulling at the stitching. No holes or anything, just that. Is that normal? Should I be concerned? I'd appreciate any feedback, reassurance, or suggestions.

42. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 13:11:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I think my stitching looks the same I got mine in September 2011, I think (maybe it was 2012).

If you have a thermaspot, I think David James told me one time to put it in the arm, like where the elbow would be or the underarm (my memory). I think it was stated on this site. I actually wash my coat and dry it at the laundromat since the coat doesn't get dry with my old dryer.

But, when I come home at night, I put the coat in plastic ziploc outside the door and then go to my packtite closet and start it. Then, I put the coat, shoes, etc. in the packtite closet. After about an hour or so, I turn the coat inside out. I don't zip the pockets for the best airflow, but try it while you are doing the temps. I have slack hangers or even a big hangable hook so...my coat is very long...I hook up the end to this hanging plastic hook I got at Target. I also hang my backback.

When I first got it, my rods weren't at the very top. They are now (which is why I don't take it apart anymore). I was told it's not an issue. they will be hot.

43. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 13:23:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, TAOT! I never thought of the armpit. I guess I didn't search prior posts as thoroughly as I thought! Never thought of turning it inside out either. I can do that when it gets to an hour. At the moment the probe in the coat is heating up very fast, and the other probe in the jacket fairly quickly too. I'm guessing this might be normal with clothing as opposed to books? PS I sent you a PM.

44. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 13:46:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Clothes heat up faster. I tend to turn things inside out if drying because some of the experts have found BBs in their pockets or in the cuff of their pants in a high infestation. I think it's a long shot, but my pockets don't heat up as fast.

45. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 13:55:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Scared,

It's in this thread. You'll also see me being a little "witchy".

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/thermaspot-another-product-from-david-james-maker-of-the-packtite

I may just copy the 6 or 7 questions I asked Mr. James, so you can skip me being snarky.

46. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 14:22:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again, TAOT! I just read that whole thread. I enjoyed your snarkiness actually Good info about placement of the thermaspots, unfortunately I only have a few left and since they can't be reused I'm doling them out carefully at this point. Hmm, I had put one in the middle of a shoe, not down at the toe. Oh well, live and learn. And I never would have thought of the sleeve idea. I figured pockets would be the coolest spots. Well, between the probe in the pocket and turning the coat inside out at your suggestion, I think I'm covered. Incidentally, for the curious, it looks like this load (2 jackets, one heavy winter coat, an empty backpack and two pairs of shoes) will be done in a total of 2 hours and 15 minutes. That includes the time I spent opening up the packtite and turning the coat inside out.

47. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 14:38:17
    #

Login to Send PM

If you read that thread, David James is saying to use the thermometers vs. the thermaspot. I think you'll become more confidnent in your determination of how long to Packtite items.

One thing I really like about the Packtite Closet vs. the original is that it doesn't lose much heat if you open and close it quickly. It's also faster.

48. PicketFences

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 30 2016 8:58:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't want to start a new thread but am very confused and frustrated by my new Packtite closet. I hope I can get some insights.

1) I paid nearly $700 and am shocked that the heater seems to only awkwardly attach, plus I have to prop it up with a book so it doesn't keep coming out of the heating chamber. The video I watched seemed to show a different heater. I also don't have a timer to plug the unit into which is shown in the demo video I watched. I realized that keeping everything in my suitcase while heating was going to take like a week.
    2) I quickly realized it was going to take me days to heat things if I kept in my suitcase. But it is totally nerve wracking to have to hang clothes. Doesn't this give bed bugs an opportunity to run out and into your apartment? I really don't get it. It seems much safer to be able to put your suitcase with clothes in it into the Packtite, stick a probe in, zip it up and heat it. I am baffled at the time I now have to take to remove possibly infested clothing from a trip from my suitcase and hang them all.

What am I doing wrong here or not understanding? Any tips? It is so stressful to return from a trip with suitcase and want to make sure the suitcase and contents are clear, and then be faced with having to hang your clothes in a Packtite closet that has parts that don't seem to fit correctly unless you prop it with books. I was debating for awhile whether to get the closet or just a smaller chamber and wonder if I made the wrong decision for a lot of money.

49. PicketFences

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 30 2016 10:25:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Can someone with the closet let me know if it is normal to have to give up an entire day to heat treat after you are back from traveling? I have three suitcases for me and my partner and I am sweaty exhausted and frustrated. The heater is cheap and doesn't fit in right. Hanging clothes takes forever and is probably dispersing bed bugs if we have them into our apartment. I'm ready to sell or return this for the cheaper options on the market.

50. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 30 2016 19:41:39
    #

Login to Send PM

The Packtite will treat an empty suitcase much faster than a full one, and if you're doing several full ones at once, that will probably mean even more time.

What I do is pack clothing which is going to be laundered in a plastic bag and pop it out and treat the empty cases in the Packtite. I also bag non-washables and Packtite those in a separate load.

In order to minimize risk when hanging items, I put the bag they're in into the Packtite and pull them out and hang them in it.

I will alert David James to this thread so he can maybe respond to your other comments.

51. djames1921

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 30 2016 19:51:26
    #

Login to Send PM

The more you utilize the internal closet rack to hang up items the quicker your treatments will go. The more air flow in and around your things the faster you will get things to temp. There is a limit to the temps items can be exposed to before you start to damage them. Since the unit runs at the limit of that the only other way things can go quicker is by air flow. We could get items to temp very quickly but they would be destroyed in the process. I can cook a frozen turkey to temp in an hour but no one would eat it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula